Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HELP! Squirrel babies in my wall

Default Re: HELP! Squirrel babies in my wall

Just read through this entire thread and watched all of the videos. I agree with Step, the fact that you have been compassionate enough to allow mama squirrel to raise her babies in your wall is commendable. The videos give us a small glimpse into the part of a squirrel's life that we are rarely able to witness and I have enjoyed them. The clips of mama squirrel nursing were especially precious. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

What a neat experience! Wow

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KarmaKay from:

Kourtney12210 (04-06-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Oh my gosh...I'm getting a real education into what goes on in those dreys no wonder so many of them fall out into our hands what a squirmy little crew I just love how much momma trusts you...she knows you mean her no harm...this is just magic...I'm so happy and feel privileged to be able to witness it
    I know! This experience really opened my eyes to everything squirrel. I read about them all the time now out of curiosity. My husband laughs because my search history is all "SQUIRREl"! In particular, the amount of babies that fall or get blown out of nests is crazy! Now, I cringe every time the wind is blowing real crazy. Never in a million years would I have been aware that happens to dreys. As you mentioned before about seeing how active they are its amazing how many actually do not fall out. This literally happened in one day! Yesterday they moved around a very small amount and their eyes were slightly open then today it's like romper room!
    . Poor mom is missing out on sleep at the moment because they are awake during bed time..

Another interesting fact I've learned about them is that mom will sleep away from them sometimes during the day. Not sure if all wilds do this or mine just feels like her kids are safe? She's only 5 to 10ft away but I was surprised she does that. Although, I can't say I blame her wanting to sneak in a power nap. It's hard to get rest when 5 babies are jumping on you pulling at nipples! She's a real good mommy so she must need her 30 min power nap! ...and yes I am so humbled by the fact that she trusts me that close to her babies. I feel like she's realized I won't harm her or the lil ones. I ordered kitten flea medicine. What is the dosing for the babies? They are 6 weeks now. They will likely be yard friends I can treat in the future too. I'd like to treat them in the wall so we don't have an infestation once they leave. I have seen some fleas in there on them.

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Just read through this entire thread and watched all of the videos. I agree with Step, the fact that you have been compassionate enough to allow mama squirrel to raise her babies in your wall is commendable. The videos give us a small glimpse into the part of a squirrel's life that we are rarely able to witness and I have enjoyed them. The clips of mama squirrel nursing were especially precious. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
    Thank you so much for the kind words! I
    am glad you enjoyed the videos..

Quote Originally Posted by Kourtney12210 View Post
    I ordered kitten flea medicine. What is the dosing for the babies? They are 6 weeks now. They will likely be yard friends I can treat in the future too. I'd like to treat them in the wall so we don't have an infestation once they leave. I have seen some fleas in there on them.
    What is the flea med you ordered? I'm assuming it's a liquid "spot on?"
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Shewhosweptforest (04-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Thanks for replying so quickly Steph. My mother ordered it for me so I am not sure of the exact brand she purchased. I will find out tommorrow. I just told her kitten flea medicine. Will you be around tomorrow? I will post the brand.

Here are some more videos of mommy nursing on different days

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kourtney12210:

Rocky1 (04-10-2016), Shewhosweptforest (04-07-2016)

Another one of mommy nursing a different day. She wakes up when an ant or flea crawls by and she eats it.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kourtney12210:

Rocky1 (04-10-2016), Shewhosweptforest (04-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Yes spot on for Cats and kittens.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kourtney12210 from:

More baby antics

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kourtney12210 from:

Quote Originally Posted by Kourtney12210 View Post
    Yes spot on for Cats and kittens.
    Hopefully....someone will let you know about the flea repellant You must be very careful with that. Although cats are so sensitive I would think anything for kittens would be good....but I would still wait to be positive

The videos are amazing as always....I don't know how momma sleeps so soundly with all those babies nursing....she is so special....such a good loving mother I'm learning a lot about momma squirrel behavior...such as the power naps Shows she's a smart momma too

I hate that the time is coming for them to start crawling out all my littles in the yard are peeping out of the nest boxes
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Hopefully....someone will let you know about the flea repellant You must be very careful with that. Although cats are so sensitive I would think anything for kittens would be good....but I would still wait to be positive

The videos are amazing as always....I don't know how momma sleeps so soundly with all those babies nursing....she is so special....such a good loving mother I'm learning a lot about momma squirrel behavior...such as the power naps Shows she's a smart momma too

I hate that the time is coming for them to start crawling out all my littles in the yard are peeping out of the nest boxes

Me too, I hope steph returns and answers the dose question also. I am also curious what syringe or dropper I need because I'm assuming I can't use the applicator in the box since there is no way to control the dose. I would never dose them without proper instruction from an expert on here. I research like crazy, (it's just in my nature), but even then I might be skeptical to use dosing info from a website. Over the course of this experience I've learned some things on here and from reputable sources, but then come across these "squirrel" pages by people who have raised or owned them and some info they suggest is not correct. Kinda scary..
    Yea, these little ones really have a good attentive mother. I actually read all about a study that explored the link between the type of mommy personality and the baby squirrel's likelihood to thrive, adapt, and survive. Here is the link below if your bored and looking for reading material. I just stumbled on it while looking up stuff about mom power napping away from the babies every now and then.
    Yea, I think these little guys are gearing up to poke their head out soon. Luckily, they have a 5ft climb up the wall to get to the opening the mommy made in the soffit-overhang-roof thing. By the time they can climb that they will be pretty good on their feet which is comforting with the cat around. Once I see them start going out with mom we will start keeping an eye on the cat and try to keep him in the house. The only concern with him would be if one were to fall while walking with mom, otherwise he can't get them.
    Do your wilds come up to you? Do the babies? Does mom bring the babies around like a momma duck followed by ducklings when they do come out?
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1203204150.htm

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kourtney12210 from:

Shewhosweptforest (04-08-2016)

You can always pm to get the dose...and manner of dosing I'm lucky.... I have no fleas here or in my woods...I'm unlucky tho because I have ticks

I really enjoyed the article...it just goes to prove that squirrel's adaptability is what keeps their numbers so high I mean even parenting style has adapted to the environmental situation Passive mommas for sparse times...and aggressive moms for times of plenty They've got it covered

No my wilds do not come up to me...I carry pecan, hickory nuts, hazelnuts in my pockets when I'm in the yard or woods...and I do have a few who will come closer when I say "here, here!" But most turn and high tail it. My releases would come to me...but that's it. I also find that the babies from the nest box by the front porch are not afraid...they don't run off...they just go about their business or come a little closer for me to toss them a nut

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

How are those baaaabeeees?

Climbing the walls yet?

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

. How are those babies doing? We need an update.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345