Thread: Released female singleton aggressive toward handler

Sherryturner1 Guest

Default Released female singleton aggressive toward handler

Merita, my fourth rehab is a female singleton that I slow released but kept feeding due to lack of gatherable food during winter. I no longer handle her and she has integrated with other squirrels in the area. She often approaches me thinking she will get food. The past two instances when she approached me she attacked me. First, biting my hands and scratching, and most recently, following me into the house and jumping on me, biting me on my head, which resulted in me having to see a doctor. She does not approach others and there are no pets to be concerned over, but I am wondering how I can deter her aggressive behavior, which seems to be only food related. I was successful in scaring her off the last time by rattling a plastic bag, but only after she had snagged a pecan from the bowl. Once she has a nut, she doesn't worry with me, but starts frantically searching for somewhere to hide it. I don't want her to assume she can beat me up for food (oh Gosh! My kid is a bully) but I'm in desperate need of advice to deter her aggrEssive behavior. I considered the possibility that mating season my be a reason, but I'm not sure. I put food out for her, but no hand feeding. I read that squirting her with water would work, but otherwise, can't find any information. I'd appreciate any advice.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  263.7 KB

Default Re: Released female singleton aggressive toward handler

OH that's everyone's worse nightmare with releasing I'm sorry you're going through this....if it were me I'd carry a spray bottle with water and a little bit of vinegar and if she approached me I'd spray her...I don't think it will take but one or two times for her to realize you're the dominant.....you need to do this because you really could get hurt...not to mention if her confidence builds she could attack a mailman, ups then the real nightmare would begin just continue to feed as you mentioned and be prepared to spray if she shows up we had a lady here that had a male that would drop out of the tree on her

Thank you for saving and caring for the little ingrate

She is beautiful
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Mommaluvy (03-10-2016)

I had a friend that happened too and she always carried an air horn in her pocket.
    When I used to release here, I did the same thing, but thankfully never had that problem.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...mini+air+horns

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Are there many other squirrels there , or is she pretty much the only one?
    Has she made friends with others, does she share nests with others at night ?

Sherryturner1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigNibbler View Post
    Are there many other squirrels there , or is she pretty much the only one?
    Has she made friends with others, does she share nests with others at night ?
    There are other squirrels and she interacts with them regularly. I'm not sure if she nests with another. She nests in an old chimney, and I haven't seen any others go in. There is a male that is almost constantly with her. They scamper about regularly together.

She is biting you out of desperation fueled by frustration.
    Just like a human child who is thrown out of the house.
    It is not that she is a villain, a bully, or a bad seed.
    She does not know what to do.
    She is frustrated.
    She knows you have the power.
    She knows you can with little effort, give her more food, more treats, more good times, and yet you are not.
    She is doing what is perfectly natural to her.
    She is attempting to communicate with you.

This to me is very painful.
    It is painful emotionally because I know how you both must have had a very meaningful time together and certainly because I know you still care about her. And I think it is important that she not be interpreted as a villain but rather as she is, frustrated, confused and hurt at loosing her only friend.

My point here, is that possibly you could g r a d u a l l y ween her off you.
    Scaring her off all humans is one option, yes.
    But how well that will work is unknown.
    If you were her, and you got more desperate, possibly you would get more violent, or more reckless, more destructive, or just give up. She is trying to tell you something the only way she can.

If she had plenty of food, the food she wants, maybe not from you, but magically appearing, she would eventually need you less, and be less desperate. That might be a better time to be somewhat scary to her.

I understand where BN is coming from....but I don't agree...because she still had a relationship with you..correct? It's only since she's become more acclimated to being free ...playing with other squirrels etc. that she is displaying dominance towards you I've had squirrels that have displayed dominance not pleasant...and I've had squirrels who wanted more attention...desiring more of your time was shown to me by clinging to me...not wanting to get off of me..and affectionate grunting

I think your lil one does want more food from you and she's doing it just like she would with another squirrel...using force that's my opinion from watching my squirrels interact
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    I understand where BN is coming from....but I don't agree...because she still had a relationship with you..correct? It's only since she's become more acclimated to being free ...playing with other squirrels etc. that she is displaying dominance towards you I've had squirrels that have displayed dominance not pleasant...and I've had squirrels who wanted more attention...desiring more of your time was shown to me by clinging to me...not wanting to get off of me..and affectionate grunting

I think your lil one does want more food from you and she's doing it just like she would with another squirrel...using force that's my opinion from watching my squirrels interact

I understand your perspective SHE, but not sure where we disagree?
    You say she wants more food, so that is the essence of what I said. For a number of years I have been interacting with squirrels and in every case that a squirrel got aggressive, I would take the time to micro analyze the situation. And the amazing thing is that it always turned out that I was wrong and she was right. She was not being aggressive arbitrarily. It could have been posturing involving another squirrel. Or an attempt to protect an area that unbeknownst to me she had an investment in, or that she needed something, be it nesting supplies, food, treats, water ... something. Sometimes merely attention.

There is nothing more important than that the squirrel should never attack someone else. Period. End of story. Full agreement on that. HOWEVER, regret is a terrible thing and I think if it was just a matter of tapering off more gradually or supplying foods till the weather changed, or something that would take another 3 - 6 weeks, I just would not want the OP to later have regrets upon considering that maybe a softer more compassionate approach in this confusing situation.

Also, as you say, she is now interacting with other squirrels and they are not reasoned and self controlled. They usually need to be frenetic and rapid in dispensing justice. So it is natural that she exhibits similar impatience. That is what we call wilding up.

Sherryturner1 Guest

I understand your perspective SHE, but not sure where we disagree?
    You say she wants more food, so that is the essence of what I said. For a number of years I have been interacting with squirrels and in every case that a squirrel got aggressive, I would take the time to micro analyze the situation. And the amazing thing is that it always turned out that I was wrong and she was right. She was not being aggressive arbitrarily. It could have been posturing involving another squirrel. Or an attempt to protect an area that unbeknownst to me she had an investment in, or that she needed something, be it nesting supplies, food, treats, water ... something. Sometimes merely attention.

There is nothing more important than that the squirrel should never attack someone else. Period. End of story. Full agreement on that. HOWEVER, regret is a terrible thing and I think if it was just a matter of tapering off more gradually or supplying foods till the weather changed, or something that would take another 3 - 6 weeks, I just would not want the OP to later have regrets upon considering that maybe a softer more compassionate approach in this confusing situation.

Also, as you say, she is now interacting with other squirrels and they are not reasoned and self controlled. They usually need to be frenetic and rapid in dispensing justice. So it is natural that she exhibits similar impatience. That is what we call wilding up.
    I have been putting food out for her every day since releasing her. She has no shortage of food, but wants pecans. I don't know if the other squirrels are taking them before she gets there because I put the food out before daylight. There is usually food still there in the evening, so I know she is eating well. I could try tossing some out in the afternoon. She is almost always around then.or should I stop with the pecans altogether? I used a gradual release strategy, and she moved out of her indoor/outdoor cage on her own. She would often come back to interact with me in a friendly way, even bringing her food to hide it in my shirt collar. This is why I'm baffled by her aggression. I adore her and would never want her to be afraid of me, but I'm a little scared, myself. Do you think it may be a case of her having to compete with her squirrel friends over the treats and she knows I have them? She also gets a variety of fruits and veggies every day.

This is a big help in understanding her.
    She knows you have the power, and so when she has to compete with others and they keep taking her nuts, she is comming to Mommy that she knows and trusts and has trouble understanding how you could be treating her this way,

A few ideas: Veggies I think are a waste.
    She should be eating the vegetation that is already there, if it is not treated with insecticides or polluted by other animals.

I would give her more nuts, BUT I would not be so quick to give her exactly what she wants.
    I would substitute Almonds, I like them better, consider them healthier for her, but here I would do that simply because it is a way of her getting some of her nut fix but also getting redirected by you and so weened off from what she expects to something that is different.

I would consider personally giving her the treats, BUT might start wearing a uniquely bright sweater, or a special hat, or carrying a unique looking box.
    The idea is that over a few weeks she will start to associate her sourcing of treats, not with someone that looks like a human but someone who has that attribute. I will make sure she sees the nuts come from that object.
    Obviously that object must be something NOT likely to be worn by anyone else.

After she gets x number of treats, I would then NOT dispense them to her. Possibly I would let her see me chuck them hither or yonder. Or put them into a special spot. I would be prepared with tough love like a shout, a horn, or a spray after a few minutes of interaction. Over a period of a 2 - 3 weeks I would reduce the nuts, until I have NONE.
    And reduce my patience.
    During this time, I would start to distribute that which she is looking for in those other places, BUT NOT WHILE SHE IS WATCHING. When she runs across the street, when she is in her nest, I would do it on the sly.

Result is that she gets tapered off from you, just like from a drug.

Ideally you could tailor your schedule around her, and do this interaction when others are not around so much.

The important thing is that instead of just considering her like a crazy person or a "wild animal", try to measure her actions as if she was a scared child. I hope this will help you.
    I feel for you both and only trying to share what I have learned from personal interaction.
    They are very smart, and yet they have limited ways to communicate.
    Likely if she had more opportunity to interact with you, more often, sooner, after less frustration, the bite would be more subtle. She is not pregnant - is she ? Cause that would cause her to be much more impatient and desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherryturner1 View Post
    I have been putting food out for her every day since releasing her. She has no shortage of food, but wants pecans. I don't know if the other squirrels are taking them before she gets there because I put the food out before daylight. There is usually food still there in the evening, so I know she is eating well. I could try tossing some out in the afternoon. She is almost always around then.or should I stop with the pecans altogether? I used a gradual release strategy, and she moved out of her indoor/outdoor cage on her own. She would often come back to interact with me in a friendly way, even bringing her food to hide it in my shirt collar. This is why I'm baffled by her aggression. I adore her and would never want her to be afraid of me, but I'm a little scared, myself. Do you think it may be a case of her having to compete with her squirrel friends over the treats and she knows I have them? She also gets a variety of fruits and veggies every day.

Sherryturner1 Guest

This is a big help in understanding her.
    She knows you have the power, and so when she has to compete with others and they keep taking her nuts, she is comming to Mommy that she knows and trusts and has trouble understanding how you could be treating her this way,

A few ideas: Veggies I think are a waste.
    She should be eating the vegetation that is already there, if it is not treated with insecticides or polluted by other animals.

I would give her more nuts, BUT I would not be so quick to give her exactly what she wants.
    I would substitute Almonds, I like them better, consider them healthier for her, but here I would do that simply because it is a way of her getting some of her nut fix but also getting redirected by you and so weened off from what she expects to something that is different.

I would consider personally giving her the treats, BUT might start wearing a uniquely bright sweater, or a special hat, or carrying a unique looking box.
    The idea is that over a few weeks she will start to associate her sourcing of treats, not with someone that looks like a human but someone who has that attribute. I will make sure she sees the nuts come from that object.
    Obviously that object must be something NOT likely to be worn by anyone else.

After she gets x number of treats, I would then NOT dispense them to her. Possibly I would let her see me chuck them hither or yonder. Or put them into a special spot. I would be prepared with tough love like a shout, a horn, or a spray after a few minutes of interaction. Over a period of a 2 - 3 weeks I would reduce the nuts, until I have NONE.
    And reduce my patience.
    During this time, I would start to distribute that which she is looking for in those other places, BUT NOT WHILE SHE IS WATCHING. When she runs across the street, when she is in her nest, I would do it on the sly.

Result is that she gets tapered off from you, just like from a drug.

Ideally you could tailor your schedule around her, and do this interaction when others are not around so much.

The important thing is that instead of just considering her like a crazy person or a "wild animal", try to measure her actions as if she was a scared child. I hope this will help you.
    I feel for you both and only trying to share what I have learned from personal interaction.
    They are very smart, and yet they have limited ways to communicate.
    Likely if she had more opportunity to interact with you, more often, sooner, after less frustration, the bite would be more subtle. She is not pregnant - is she ? Cause that would cause her to be much more impatient and desperate.
    It is very possible that she is pregnant. Thank you for the advice. She does act like a drug addict over those pecans. I will try the combination of reassociating feeding with an object and tough love when she becomes demanding. Perhaps if I just toss out the remaining pecans a handful a day when she is around she will figure out that they will be on the ground and not in my pockets. I have this party favor noise maker. I may give it a blast if she shows an aggressive posture.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  259.2 KB

Be careful with that party thing. Could be very good. But don't hit her in the eye with it.
    Could possibly lacerate her eye!

As I was reading your response, an image popped into my head, clear as day.
    You just got bit while feeding her almonds! She looked at the almonds. She wanted pecans. She knows you can give her pecans. WHERE ARE THE PECANS?!? So again, I just want to stress that even people who don't particularly like or know squirrels will sometimes admit that they are cute or even beautiful. But if you get to know them, there really is something very beautiful inside. They are very honest, very direct, very trusting ONCE you won them over, and very smart. Most people here will tell you that they are very sensitive and emotional. But how that is kept in mind, during interactions, attempts at communications, every day, is not always consistent with how you might interact and treat someone who you really believed was emotional. What I am trying to say, is they possess some qualities that are very human and just as we do with humans, we can easily write them off as crazy, because we don't take the time to hear or understand what they are trying to say. It is then that we can inflict pain unintentionally and we certainly we can feel pain of one kind or another!
    Truly I hope you can both be happy in each of your worlds and better where they intersect!

Sherryturner1 Guest

Be careful with that party thing. Could be very good. But don't hit her in the eye with it.
    Could possibly lacerate her eye!

As I was reading your response, an image popped into my head, clear as day.
    You just got bit while feeding her almonds! She looked at the almonds. She wanted pecans. She knows you can give her pecans. WHERE ARE THE PECANS?!? So again, I just want to stress that even people who don't particularly like or know squirrels will sometimes admit that they are cute or even beautiful. But if you get to know them, there really is something very beautiful inside. They are very honest, very direct, very trusting ONCE you won them over, and very smart. Most people here will tell you that they are very sensitive and emotional. But how that is kept in mind, during interactions, attempts at communications, every day, is not always consistent with how you might interact and treat someone who you really believed was emotional. What I am trying to say, is they possess some qualities that are very human and just as we do with humans, we can easily write them off as crazy, because we don't take the time to hear or understand what they are trying to say. It is then that we can inflict pain unintentionally and we certainly we can feel pain of one kind or another!
    Truly I hope you can both be happy in each of your worlds and better where they intersect!
    I am going to try your strategy of associating food with an object. I could do a mixture of almonds and pecans, when I leave them out, and gradually decrease pecans, then almonds. I'll drop the veggies now that trees are budding, but leave bits of fruit for her as usual. I'm proud of her for wilding up, and I won't be harsh toward her. I don't hand-feed her the nuts anyhow, just leave them out for her. I will try to be more aware of the habits of the other squirrels as well. Oh, and I'll cut the streamers off the horn, I just need it for the sound. Thank you again for all your help!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sherryturner1 from:

BigNibbler (03-08-2016)

Sherryturner1 Guest

Update: After a couple of days of observing the squirrels in the yard, I have found that Merita is, in fact, the last to the feeding table in the mornings, so she is not getting her fix. So, I have been waiting until early afternoon, when I return home from work to toss out some nuts when I see her in the yard. So far, she has come close, but hasn't jumped on me. I have kept the noise maker in my mouth as I go to the house from the car, but haven't had to use it yet. So far, so good. She seems in a better mood, and is not rushing toward me like she was before. Perhaps, she is an evening gatherer. Hope things continue to go well.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sherryturner1:

Fireweed (03-07-2016), Sara in NW MS (03-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherryturner1 View Post
    Update: After a couple of days of observing the squirrels in the yard, I have found that Merita is, in fact, the last to the feeding table in the mornings, so she is not getting her fix. So, I have been waiting until early afternoon, when I return home from work to toss out some nuts when I see her in the yard. So far, she has come close, but hasn't jumped on me. I have kept the noise maker in my mouth as I go to the house from the car, but haven't had to use it yet. So far, so good. She seems in a better mood, and is not rushing toward me like she was before. Perhaps, she is an evening gatherer. Hope things continue to go well.

Thank you for having the patience and interest in trying to hear what she is trying to say.
    Merita probably goes on a very specific route each day, and if you put stuff along that route, if it was a different route than what others take, then it might help her odds. In addition, you could see where she goes, when she first splits from others or where others may not go. By placing resources in a scattered manner, you reduce the frenzy and urgency in having to defend one main spot.

Your main concern is that she not attack a stranger.
    Strangers may never visit a side or back of your house.
    Could be best to gradually get her to head to those areas where only are likely to be found.

I imagine that it is not, that you wish never to be involved with her, just that you are concerned first for other's safety and then for your own. When Merita has an actual nut with shell in her mouth, as when she is searching for hiding places, or about to enjoy it, she will not be able to bite anyone. She is not going to risk losing the nut and will not put it down just to bite, (usually) . So its only her nails, which can be very painful on bare skin, if she is either making a point, or nervous.
    Her enthusiasm of the moment is directly related to how she will cling, grab, and dig in, or launch off of you. But if you wear a double layered garment, with the outer one a bit thicker, it will make a huge difference in reducing the irritation.

Every day, that she does not touch you, is a day that your touch and even your presence around her will be more foreign. So if she has enough foods, what she likes, and also is able to find other resources, by the end of the summer, she will probably not consider you much at all. My worry which I think is shared by anyone who has released a squirrel they cared for, is that before she can take compete fully in the environment she has been places, that she is injured and will need your help again.

Contrary to what I often read, I find that squirrels are wonderful with sound.. They very quickly learn what is dangerous and what is not ,and have nearly a database of sounds that they are subliminally continuing to monitor, even when asleep. If they hear a new sound they will perk right up, but a recognized sound is ignored. So your toy will only have an effect once or twice. The streamer, if it is one of those that shoots out, adds a very major warning to the experience, and actually should make it much more effective, until she learns it does not hit her.

I have several of those bicycle air horns and have always thought they could be useful, but have never even tried them.

Bottom line is that she is a confused, and frustrated little friend, thrust into a hostile and foreign world, and trying to find herself. Not much different from most humans who don't have someone to hold their hand all through their lives.
    Some days are better than others. Some decisions work better than others. She is still the same little squirrel that you cared to help and that really does value your friendship the only way she knows how.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.