Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problems with The Refuge I took Rocky to

Default Re: Problems with The Refuge I took Rocky to

I just found this thread... I know a lot of you think we're "lucky" in FL because keeping squirrels is "legal".

But, as it's pointed out by Anne and H4S the law is MURKY. We don't know what we are/ are not "allowed" to do.

And this was very well documented last year by the horror that went down in Tampa at a well-respected, extremely experienced LICENSED REHABBERS property.

I NEVER post about squirrels on FB. I don't FB much anyway, but nono on the squirrels (and what else am I going to talk about? lol) I have, on occasion, stopped and given my number to tree cutters, because they seem intent on cutting in the Spring, right smack in baby season. I've even gotten a couple calls.

At least in other states you know you're either legal or you're not. Period. Here, who the hell knows? I can't figure it out and I've combed through all the docs I can find about the legality of keeping greys in FL. Or rehabbing them. Or whatever.

What really bothers me is this quote:
    He explained the confusion comes in because Grays are considered to be gaming animals and that means there is a hunting season for them if that is possible.

So, we're allowed to hunt them, kill them, but possibly not rehabilitate them? That is BLEEPING crazy-- stupid-- inhumane, you name it. It's WRONG. I understand some people don't know what they're doing. But in this age of the internet, there's no excuse for doing it "wrong". I've tried Googling "Squirrel Care" and TSB is always within the top 5 "hits". If the babies are healthy, you can at least keep them alive by following VERY BASIC protocol until you find a rehabber.

I know lots of people don't know what do and take them to After-Hours vets, who agree to take them, and the donation, but then euthanize the squirrel if no one comes to pick it/ them up.

The people at our local After Hours vet don't CARE who comes to get them, they just want them off their hands. I felt awful calling and asking them to take my name off their list for a while, because the burden goes to PeeWee's Mom/ Coralreefer. I WISH the vets would refuse the squirrels, therefore forcing the person to find a rehabber. Or keep a list of rehabbers, and bypass keeping the squirrels themselves. All they do anyway is stick them in a box and then in a cage. No heat, no hydration, no care at all.

Anyway, I'm off topic, but the truth is no one here really cares about squirrels unless someone reports the keeper as a problem. And why would they, if they're considered a sport hunting species? Geez.

I'm with coralreefer. Sometimes I hate people.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Cesta:

Bravo (04-21-2016), Mel1959 (04-21-2016), missPixy (04-28-2016)

Ditto that one about people....I'm with you and Coralreefer. You gotta wonder about the morons writing and enforcing laws, why should Florida be an exception to the rule? My 2 cents worth!

Squirrel laws need to be revised. I'm personally not clear on what the ideal law would say. At some point, somewhere, a group should get together and decide what the ideal law would say and then how to take steps toward making that a reality. Of course the most successful group would eventually enlist allies from different backgrounds including lawyers, rehabbers, and others.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

Mel1959 (04-21-2016)

At 15-16 weeks of age, brought up as a single, I would NEVER put another squirrel in with him. Maybe I am too cautious but my babies all live to be released. When introduced much younger, as we all know, you can have a bundle of squiggies together but not at his age.
    Nuts story just hurts my soul.
    As a rehabber I have been bitten by the best...lol..it's part of the job...hurts but oh well

Thanks for everyone who posted their experiences, but also their experiences with the interpretation of Florida wildlife law and squirrels. I'm lucky in that if I ever have an issue with FWC I can rely on a licensed rehabber to guide me (and release them for me, if that's one of the stipulations of the law). I have posted my kids each season in their own album on social media locked down to my friends, but we all know that means squat if someone's coming out to make problems for you.

I have taken two kids to Back to Nature myself, and they are very professional - at least at the intake portion. I am now in a position where I can't take any more kids because I'm too busy trying to complete my PhD, but my main problem is that my husband has put his foot down and said NO MORE (please note: this is the same man who got us started with the kids in the first place, and has had at least one favorite kid each season that he 'took' to - GRRRRR). I have a gigantic pre-release cage on my back porch that has sat empty for quite some time, and I'm glad that I haven't had a visit from the FWC in which I've had to explain its existence. That is scary.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Laura/Central FL

Siamese Cat and Squirrel "Mom"
    (the human kids just tolerate me...)

Currently Squee-less as I'm back to school FT working on my PhD. SO sad - I miss my squirrelkids!

Happy to Have Loved and Released Perri, Katy, Perrito, Stella, Stanley, Jerry, Pinkman, Pinkgrrl, Ruby, Violet, Maude, Oliver, Kingsley, Olive Green, Toby, Junior, Chloe, Colton James, Mac, Baby Jane, Blanche, Hamilton, Wentworth, Big Lindsey, Jack, Icky Butt, Not Icky, Nugget, Navy, Hawk, PurpleGirl, Percy, Pippin, and Pascal.

sdeegz Guest

Glad I found this thread (really sorry for what happened with your squirrel at the rehab center though), we're moving to florida in a few months (I'm licensed here in CT) and I had no idea the laws are so crazy there regarding squirrels.
    Thanks everyone.

Is there anyone else, or any other type of person or organization with various credentials, that they might be willing to release to? I'm hoping there is a way to get Rocky back, even if in a roundabout way. Have you considered consulting with an Animal Law attorney?

11. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Bravo (05-09-2016), DarkLies212 (05-10-2016), Nancy in New York (06-07-2016), Rocky1 (05-09-2016), TubeDriver (05-09-2016)

Although I don't have Rocky anymore, I still like to check out what is going on here at the Squirrel Board. I was so surprised at all the replies to the situation with Rocky. I leaves me with a good feeling knowing everyone supports one another with these type of issues. Thank again everyone.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ladyhawk98:

island rehabber (06-07-2016), Nancy in New York (06-07-2016), TubeDriver (06-07-2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123