Thread: Rabies in a wild squirrel?

FeatherPrince Guest

Question Rabies in a wild squirrel?

Hello! I apologize if this is in the incorrect forum, but I could find anything better ^^;

The other day my friend was out and was seeing some one behaviour in a squirrel, and I was wondering what it could be.
    I know hat rabies is extremelyyy uncommon in squirrels, but when I looked it up and it seemed like it could be, but thought it better to ask anyway because it could very well be something else too.

Anyway, they kept seeing this squirrel out the window and it was repeatedly falling. It would get back up on its feet and then fall over side ways again, straight as a ruler.

They then went outside to see if it was alright and as they got closer to it, it climbed up a tree a dove at her with its legs spread out like it was trying to attack her. She jumped back so it didn't actually touch her but to started to spasm at her feet and then started going towards her dad and was still spazzing and rolling on the ground and jumping really weirdly.

If you know what this could be, or if it was actually rabies, the answer would be very much appreciated, thank you!!

Default Re: Rabies in a wild squirrel?

Highly unlikely that it would be rabies. However, more likely that it is raccoon roundworm -- baylis sascariasasis -- which causes severe neurological damage and eventual death (100% fatal). Another possibility is that this squirrel has head trauma from being hit by a car, or falling from a tree. It is in a horrible situation; if someone could trap it and at least bring it to a vet that would be the humane thing to do.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

TubeDriver (02-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Highly unlikely that it would be rabies. However, more likely that it is raccoon roundworm -- baylis sascariasasis -- which causes severe neurological damage and eventual death (100% fatal). Another possibility is that this squirrel has head trauma from being hit by a car, or falling from a tree. It is in a horrible situation; if someone could trap it and at least bring it to a vet that would be the humane thing to do.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    ... more likely that it is raccoon roundworm -- baylis sascariasasis -- which causes severe neurological damage and eventual death (100% fatal).
    why wouldn't you recommend trapping and treating the squirrel with ivermectin or pyrantel pamoate in case it was raccoon roundworm? Or is it irreversible when it's this advanced?

At this stage, the damage has been done. The roundworm larvae have encapsulated themselves in brain tissue and the immune system response is causing inflamation in the surrounding area which makes the symptoms worse.

Quote Originally Posted by janiemcm View Post
    why wouldn't you recommend trapping and treating the squirrel with ivermectin or pyrantel pamoate in case it was raccoon roundworm? Or is it irreversible when it's this advanced?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.