Thread: POSSIBLE PARYLASIS

Hybrid View

njoy46 Guest

Question POSSIBLE PARYLASIS

I found a squirrel maybe 3 months old it does not seem full grown, so I am guessing on age. He can not stand up when I first got him two days ago his back legs were strong and he could jump out of my arms. And did get out of the basket I had him in. His front let seems to be paralyzed . Now today I am thinking he has no feeling in his front legs whatsoever, as he eats and drinks everything in front of him. First I was holding the food for him however he has tried to eat my fingers so now I found I can lay the food beside him and he can eat that way with a little assist. Today I had to give him a bath and he got hold of his front paw and started eating it . He started bleeding so I wrapped it up with gauze and tape. I now have him swaddled so he can not reach his front paws. His back legs still have movement I massage and exercise his legs daily He eats and drinks well. loves everything I give him.green peppers apples, avocado today I bought some millet.. I have given him a half of tum I was hoping he had the low calcium problem. I have also ordered Dr Henrey's squirrel block with calicum
    He has two bald areas around his front shoulders . Thought maybe a Hawk tried to pick him up and dropped him. If he has no feeling in his front legs is there anything I can do to bring it back. Can he live with just his back legs and have a happy life? I am willing to work with him
    I have plenty of time for him. He is with me 24 hours a day. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to make him better.

Default Re: POSSIBLE PARYLASIS

njoy46, to The Squirrel Board

I'm really sorry about the baby you found. That's very sad. More than likely this is due to an injury. Paralysis due to low calcium is usually hind end paralysis as opposed to the front legs. MBD in wild squirrels would also be rare. It's seen in squirrels in captivity that are fed a poor diet.

I'm not qualified to answer about meds for paralysis because I've never had a paralyzed squirrel. Some have treated squirrels with anti inflammatory drugs and have had some success. If the injury isn't too bad sometimes it will respond. Sometimes it won't. Others will sound in on that.

He can have a full life but I'll warn you it can be difficult as you've already seen. Chewing the legs is a huge problem. They will chew due to nerve tingles or pain. Sometimes it becomes chronic. With that said, I have seen miracles on this board. He have a member that has a squirrel with one leg and three stumps. He does great and lives a full life. I stand in awe of those cases.

Here is a link to the healthy pet squirrel diet. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/a...5&d=1391033425
    I wouldn't feed the green peppers. We stopped feeding those a while back due to possible issues. I wouldn't feed the millet either. Seeds are pretty unhealthy.

If you are up to the task, we will help you all along the way. You might just get one of those miracles.

Do you have any history on the squirrel? If this baby survived a hawk attack there would likely be more evidence than some missing fur. Can you get him to a vet or a TSB rehabber? Was he wild prior to being injured? If so, likely not going to have MBD. Wild squirrels eat what they need to stay strong. If this is MBD you should see a change after getting some calcium in his system--tho healing from MBD takes a loooooong time. You said you bathed him--does he pee on himself? Did he have fleas? Normally a healthy squirrel won't need a bath. As to mutilating his own arm, that might be consistant with paralysis issues or pain. A steroid might help inflamation if there is neuro or spinal cord damage but it should be administered ASAP. Most folks here use Henry's Healthy Blocks because they provide complete nutrition. Check out the nutrition section for squirrel healthy foods. Give the Millett to a bird and green peppers aren't a particularly good choice for captive squirrels. Dark green lettuce, sweet potato, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower--lots of good veggies--check out nutrition. I'm so glad you've made a committment to the little guy. It's not an easy committment--especially for a compromised squirrel. Lots of folks will weigh in here. I just got to you early on. I have a soft spot for the injured ones.

It would really help everyone if they could see what you are talking about. Can you take some pics of the bald spots and maybe a couple of him? Do you have a phone that will take a video? It would be ideal to be able to see him and how he moves, especially when it comes to his little arms.
    If you can upload a couple of short videos to youtube or something like that, you can copy and paste the link. If you don't have you tube, you can send the videos via text/email and we can upload them for you.
    We want to help you with your baby but we really need to see what's going on first.
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song"

njoy46 Guest

I have given my baby ibuprofen I am starting to see a small improvement. today he was actually licking his paw instead of trying to eat it
    I decided to wear him today thinking maybe closer contact will bring him around faster. Yesterday he just laid around all day very little movement I kept trying to exercise his little legs. Just now he stretched and actually stretched his left front paw and his little hand opened up for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by njoy46 View Post
    I have given my baby ibuprofen I am starting to see a small improvement. today he was actually licking his paw instead of trying to eat it
    I decided to wear him today thinking maybe closer contact will bring him around faster. Yesterday he just laid around all day very little movement I kept trying to exercise his little legs. Just now he stretched and actually stretched his left front paw and his little hand opened up for the first time.
    Njoy46,
    That's wonderful news. Sometimes reducing the swelling around nerves can result in improved motility of limbs. It's a small step but a HUGE one. I'm hopeful!

Here's a pic of this baby... Gonna check and see if the video is in my email. He looks bad here and they said he doesn't roll around so something is really wrong with this little guy.
    It's not my call but it looks like his thread needs to be moved to the life threatening category.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  217.8 KB
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.