Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Treating Pox, and how to best stop it from spreading

Default Re: Treating Pox, and how to best stop it from spreading

Unfortunately the one we took in didn't last the night - they were very surprised, as she didn't seem to be in terrible shape. I also haven't seen the one that I first posted in over a day, I'm worried she passed recently too

My CAOH should be coming Monday or Tuesday, but I'm concerned about using it - I have a standing bird bath and a heated one on the ground, and with the snow melting today, I'm thinking they will flock to it and might spread it more there. Any opinions?

Also, in terms of food - is there anything else anyone could recommend for them? I'm leaving a bit of seed, walnuts, and pecans scattered throughout the yard, and trying to throw the veggie squares out to particular ones (worried to just leave them out, as I figured one squirrel might eat a whole handful, AND a few of them don't like the squares - I would hate to see a sick one pick up and nibble on a block, only for a healthy one to come up and finish it)

Thank you everyone, again, for all of your help - I am so glad that this forum exists, with such wonderful people.

Acyclovir worked for Binky here in my back yard, but I had to prepare a large dose for him everyday for two and a half months. I wet it and smeared it on a pecan half and then covered that with agave syrup (He didn't like honey or maple syrup, go figure) WE struggled together because sometimes he wouldn't take it and other times he didn't show up. I got him into a routine finally of eating his loaded pecan first and then giving him a pecan in the shell, which he adores. Somehow he got the idea that he had to eat his medicine pecan first and then he would get what he really wanted. He is a little scamp, though. He is little, but he is good at slipping in and around the bruisers to get his share. He still has his buddy and they play intensely all day in the trees outside my window.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Quote Originally Posted by blackbranches View Post
    Also, in terms of food - is there anything else anyone could recommend for them? I'm leaving a bit of seed, walnuts, and pecans scattered throughout the yard, and trying to throw the veggie squares out to particular ones (worried to just leave them out, as I figured one squirrel might eat a whole handful, AND a few of them don't like the squares - I would hate to see a sick one pick up and nibble on a block, only for a healthy one to come up and finish it)
    Henry's has an excellent product and the "Wild Bites" would likely be a "wild hit" with your wilds.
    http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Acyclovir worked for Binky here in my back yard, but I had to prepare a large dose for him everyday for two and a half months. I wet it and smeared it on a pecan half and then covered that with agave syrup (He didn't like honey or maple syrup, go figure) WE struggled together because sometimes he wouldn't take it and other times he didn't show up. I got him into a routine finally of eating his loaded pecan first and then giving him a pecan in the shell, which he adores. Somehow he got the idea that he had to eat his medicine pecan first and then he would get what he really wanted. He is a little scamp, though. He is little, but he is good at slipping in and around the bruisers to get his share. He still has his buddy and they play intensely all day in the trees outside my window.

Aww that's so adorable, I'm glad you were able to treat Binky I should be able to start the Acyclovir within the next few days, so hopefully I'll be able to help at least a couple of them.

Thanks Spanky - I've seen the Henry's Wild Bites posted a lot here on the forum, and figured they were probably pretty close to the veggie squares I've been using - couldn't hurt to have more food options for them! I didn't know if there would be anything else to supplement something like those, or if those on there own did a pretty good job at providing a healthy mix of nutrients.

Sitting around today, keeping an eye out on the yard, I unfortunately saw a few more with what looks like the beginnings of the disease I'm guessing, but maybe those with more experience regarding the fibroma could let me know for sure (I obviously want to make sure for when I start the medication, that I'm treating as many as I can and treating the right ones) The first two are the same squirrel - at first I thought mange, but it looked like there might be a few small bumps in the vertical shot. The squirrel in the third picture has what looks to be a growth by his left ear - nothing else, but it doesn't look like a good growth The one in the fourth..I know it's pox, and relatively advanced - far more so than any others (barring the ones in my initial posts)

Scrappy didn't come around today, but he does that often, skipping a few days here and there (had me so worried when he was gone for over a week, then he springs around the corner like it's no big deal!)
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I've been following along but not posting. I hope you're able to stop this from spreading. I wish you the best.
    It's tough to see so many of your friends suffering like that.

Did you start the treatment yet? Let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed View Post

I've been following along but not posting. I hope you're able to stop this from spreading. I wish you the best.
    It's tough to see so many of your friends suffering like that.

Did you start the treatment yet? Let us know how it goes!
    Thank you Fireweed! I should be getting the meds today, so I'll get that going right away. Somehow the squirrel I first posted, with the worst case of pox, is still hanging around - she didn't stop by for a few days so I figured she didn't make it, but she started coming back yesterday. I'll be trying the medication with her, but I feel like it'll be a long shot for the poor little one

Most of the others that I think have it look like it's just a lesion or two, so hopefully the meds will stop the spread for them. It looks like a few of the squirrels that have been coming by might just have mange still - trying to keep those separate from those with pox, and those with both pox and mange, is going to be tricky for sure. Thankfully I have a pretty good telephoto lens with my camera, so I'm just going to continue with photo and written descriptions for all that are medicated. I have some veggie squares in the oven right now (love that smell!), along with some Henry's Wild Bites coming in the mail, so I'll have a huge batch of healthy food for all.

I've used CAOH in the past to boost immune system - particularly in Pox squirrels. CAOH is no longer available - not being made as of April 2018 (now). Does anyone know what else I can use? maybe a liquid version of Echinacea? any particular brand that you know of that would be safe for squirrels? Thanks for any help! -Janie

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

janiemcm (04-19-2018), Mel1959 (04-17-2018)

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

janiemcm (04-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    thanks for this link. quite the recipe! Maybe I should give it a try...

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to janiemcm from:

cava (04-19-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12