Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Hair loss down middle of tail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default Hair loss down middle of tail

    Hello, I've have a male flying squirell who is about 1 year and a half years old. I started to notice (today) his tail is missing hair down the middle of it. Could this be molting? He doesn't seem to be missing hair anywhere else and his fur is starting to look a darkish brown color. His diet is good he eats the squirrel protein blocks, mix of veggies and fruits.

    I tried to upload a picture attached to this message but I'm new to posting. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north east usa
    Posts
    618
    Thanked: 44

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Looks like a rub pattern.. It could be from going in and out of a nest box or a branch being to close to something above it that the tail is rubbing on.. If the wheel is to small sometimes the tail could rub.. Make sure everything is spaced out enough in the cage and that the wheel is not to small...

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to flyer girl from:

    Frodo9496 (02-12-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north east usa
    Posts
    618
    Thanked: 44

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    The dark brown that most likely looks like a bruise is the hair coming back...

  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to flyer girl from:

    Frodo9496 (02-12-2016)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanked: 1082

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Normal molt, see it every year, no worries.

    Do you give him any bugs? You should be giving him mealworms, waxworms or superworms nightly, live is best. Dust with calcium.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer girl View Post
    The dark brown that most likely looks like a bruise is the hair coming back...
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer girl View Post
    Looks like a rub pattern.. It could be from going in and out of a nest box or a branch being to close to something above it that the tail is rubbing on.. If the wheel is to small sometimes the tail could rub.. Make sure everything is spaced out enough in the cage and that the wheel is not to small...

    Thank you! He does this thing where he likes to hang out between towels hung up in my bathroom, u think maybe the friction of running between the towels could do that to his tail? Like I said no hair loss anywhere else

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264 View Post
    Normal molt, see it every year, no worries.

    Do you give him any bugs? You should be giving him mealworms, waxworms or superworms nightly, live is best. Dust with calcium.
    Thank you, I hope that's what it is, I was touching it lightly to see if I could get an reaction out of him besides the normal hey don't touch my tail girl, and no reaction out of the ordinary. I give him mealworms! Just normal calcium powder suplement? Or does it have to be pet friendly?

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanked: 1082

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    I have had Luna since 2007 and have seen this every year. No worries.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north east usa
    Posts
    618
    Thanked: 44

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Could be but no worries it will grow back... My flyers rub these spots on there tails going in and out of there nest boxes...

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanked: 1082

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    I do not use nest boxes, I use fleece pouches and it happens to all three of them, and then grows back. Sometimes they will loose a section on the body, too, but the tail is every year, sometimes twice a year.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,747
    Thanked: 9346

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Although I have never seen molt (on the body) in my flyers one of my flyers did develop this same pattern on about 1 inch of the tail. It stayed like that for quite a while. It did bother me but eventually it did grow back. I was very happy because I was beginning to think it was permanent.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Although I have never seen molt (on the body) in my flyers one of my flyers did develop this same pattern on about 1 inch of the tail. It stayed like that for quite a while. It did bother me but eventually it did grow back. I was very happy because I was beginning to think it was permanent.
    Hey, I came back to my thread Bc I was worried Bc the pattern has not changed maybe even worsened a little at the end of his tail. So your saying its normal for it to last a while?? Do I need to put anything on his tail? I hate it's so exposed I'm worried about his skin getting irritated from the lack of hair... Thank you!!

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,747
    Thanked: 9346

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    I checked the date on the previous posts and it was a month ago.
    I hate to use the word 'normal' because what does that really mean.
    My flyer had that pattern on the tail for at least 6 months before it grew back.
    I thought he had rubbed it off on the nest box but I wasn't sure. That probably wasn't correct because he still goes in the same wooden nest box and it hasn't come back.

    It did eventually grow back. I was happy about that and it hasn't recurred.

    Personally I wouldn't put anything on it.

  15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    Frodo9496 (03-16-2016)

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Hair loss down middle of tail

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I checked the date on the previous posts and it was a month ago.
    I hate to use the word 'normal' because what does that really mean.
    My flyer had that pattern on the tail for at least 6 months before it grew back.
    I thought he had rubbed it off on the nest box but I wasn't sure. That probably wasn't correct because he still goes in the same wooden nest box and it hasn't come back.

    It did eventually grow back. I was happy about that and it hasn't recurred.

    Personally I wouldn't put anything on it.

    Thank you so much!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •