Thread: Brazil nuts can kill

Threaded View

Clutch&StuartsMommy Guest

Default Re: Brazil nuts can kill

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Thank you for this information. I have fed these to my dwarf, Joey, because he hides the pecans and walnuts and only seems to eat the pine nuts and Brazil nuts, both seem to be on the do not feed list now. I am curious though, a vegan health food restaurant/store in my area sells Brazil nut milk....for a very hefty price...as a substitute for cows milk. Does anyone know if the selenium affects humans in the same way? The Brazil nut milk is supposed to be high in potassium. Could that be a contributing factor as well?
    In reference to your question about drinking Brazilian nut milk, you may find this information helpful. I can't say that depends on the person and how much Selium your body has already been exposed to ...

Studies on Brazil nut (Bertholletia excelsa H.B.K.) and their products revealed its antioxidant benefits, especially due to the Selenium (Se) level, naturally present in Brazil nuts. The Brazil nut tree is a Se accumulating plant and it is well-known the average of 100 µg of Se in two Brazil nuts. This amount supports the recommended daily intake (RDI) for Se of 55 μg per day. On the other hand, it can be dangerous if the amount of Se is above the tolerable upper nutrient intake level for adults about 400 μg per day. In order to study toxicological risks to consumers, the aim of this work was to evaluate the Brazil nut “milk” in two forms: Hydro-soluble (condensed milk) and powdered (by atomization). The hydro-soluble samples showed an average of 150μg/100g. The value obtained was greater than that observed in the commercial soy product, which is not an acknowledged source of Se, as Brazil nut. The powdered “milk” showed Se content of 1.200 μg/100 g after atomization. Thus, when one considers the consumption of a tablespoon (10 g) of the powdered product diluted in a 200 ml glass, 60 μg per Se is proportionally obtained and this value is under the Se RDI for humans. In conclusion, the Se levels found in Brazil nuts “milk” were safe to consumers and higher than soybean milk, vegetable “milk”. Thus, the industry must evaluate each produced lot, since the Se content in the raw material varies according to the geographic region. It is import to emphasize the correct dilution in the labeling information of the product, in order to avoid the Se toxic level to the consumers.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Clutch&StuartsMommy:

Mel1959 (10-23-2017), SophieSquirrel (02-02-2018)