Thread: Wintering over 15 squirrels: Mange presented- Rehabber advise please

Default Wintering over 15 squirrels: Mange presented- Rehabber advise please

I took in a squirrel that had previously been treated for mange last summer by another rehabber. I am wintering her squirrels over in my enclosure. I need to know exactly how to use Ivermectin Injectable 1% either on skin or on a nut. I know it can cause seizures if too much is given and I have no experience with mange. I have searched the threads here but only see info on the paste. I need to know dose for a 7 month squirrel. They are too wild to get a weight.

Some are tame enough I can put a drop on a nut but the others will not come out of the box. Will I need to get gloves and put a drop on the skin. My fear is if I leave multiple nuts out I will over dose.

Please advise. They hide in the boxes most of the time and I just noticed it. One has died and I feel horrible about this. I imagine I will have to throw all of the boxes away too correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mary
    Texas permitted bird & small mammal rehabilation

Default Re: Wintering over 15 squirrels: Mange presented- Rehabber advise please

Just so we are clear: is it that ALL the squirrels now have mange, or just the one? Are you sure the one who died, died from mange? It's normally not fatal, but occurs when other more serious disease is present in the squirrel's body.
    Can you get some Revolution (sealamectin) instead? It is much safer than the ivermectin, which not only can cause seizures in an overdose but definitely will cause death.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

DarkLies212 (02-07-2016)

Default Re: Wintering over 15 squirrels: Mange presented- Rehabber advise please

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Just so we are clear: is it that ALL the squirrels now have mange, or just the one? Are you sure the one who died, died from mange? It's normally not fatal, but occurs when other more serious disease is present in the squirrel's body.
    Can you get some Revolution (sealamectin) instead? It is much safer than the ivermectin, which not only can cause seizures in an overdose but definitely will cause death.
    Quote Originally Posted by msk5412 View Post
    I took in a squirrel that had previously been treated for mange last summer by another rehabber. I am wintering her squirrels over in my enclosure. I need to know exactly how to use Ivermectin Injectable 1% either on skin or on a nut. I know it can cause seizures if too much is given and I have no experience with mange. I have searched the threads here but only see info on the paste. I need to know dose for a 7 month squirrel. They are too wild to get a weight.

Some are tame enough I can put a drop on a nut but the others will not come out of the box. Will I need to get gloves and put a drop on the skin. My fear is if I leave multiple nuts out I will over dose.

Please advise. They hide in the boxes most of the time and I just noticed it. One has died and I feel horrible about this. I imagine I will have to throw all of the boxes away too correct?

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct place. Yes, the squirrel had mange that died. I did not have a necropsy done but it may have been anemic from the mange. Some of them no not have it and some do. I was going to put one drop one each neck.

Mary
    Texas permitted bird & small mammal rehabilation

Is it possible for you to get Revolution (same as selemectin) and put a drop on each of them? I do not sue Ivermectin so I don't dose it, but I know that I use Revolution and it has worked wonders for mine with mange and any other "critters" they might have.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

DarkLies212 (02-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Is it possible for you to get Revolution (same as selemectin) and put a drop on each of them? I do not sue Ivermectin so I don't dose it, but I know that I use Revolution and it has worked wonders for mine with mange and any other "critters" they might have.

What Revolution product are you referring too ? Do you have a link to the product? Thanks!

I get revolution from http://www.joespetmeds.com/flea-cont...-cats-dogs.htm
    Make sure it's for puppies and kittens. Just one drop on the back of the neck and your done.