Thread: Sandy suddenly passed :(

Default Sandy suddenly passed :(

(I posted this in Sandy's thread, but I am cross posting it here to hopefully get more attention)

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report little Sandy, Lisaroo's little girl, passed on to the rainbow bridge yesterday.
    Lisa contacted me this morning with the news when she found Sandy already gone in her cube this morning. I told Lisa I would make a post on her behalf as she has a lot going on right now and is understandably very distraught.

Lisa is totally baffled as to what could have caused Sandy to pass so suddenly. She told me Sandy was acting completely normal the day before, bouncing around and being her cheery self. She was 3 1/2 years old. There were no changes in her diet recently. Here is what Lisa told me she feeds both Sandy and her little brother and cage mate Randy -

Kaytee forti diet rodent blocks, lettuce, tomatoes, mini snacking peppers, brussel sprouts, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, avocado occasionally as a treat, and one or two shelled nuts. She did mention the avocado was a bit on the firmer side this time, but I wouldn't necessarily think that would cause any problem as she is careful to remove the skin and pit before feeding. I asked her what kind of shelled nuts she gave to Sandy the day before and she told me an almond and a walnut. She told me the walnuts were fairly fresh, that she had purchased them right after Christmas. Lisa also did mention that she sprinkles calcium carbonate on their veggies daily to ensure they are getting enough calcium.

She didn't find any vomit in his cage and she thoroughly cleans out any stashes once a week.

Her main concern right now is keeping little Randy healthy. Since she has no idea what killed Sandy, she is concerned that something might happen to him too if it has something to do with food. Randy was sitting on top of the cube when she came in this morning to feed Sandy and she immediately knew something wasn't right as her and Randy are usually in the cube together.
    She told me Randy seems lost without Sandy as she was his backbone and he is drinking but doesn't want to eat or do anything else. Since she had Sandy several months before finding Randy, she didn't bond as closely with Randy as he quickly bonded to Sandy and they have been together ever since. She told me he doesn't like to be held or handled too much. I am at a loss as to what to tell her to help him in his grief.

Here is the link to Randy's thread : http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...!!!&highlight=

Does anyone have any idea as to what could have killed Sandy so suddenly? Or perhaps what needs to be avoided to prevent the same thing from happening to little Randy mink? Even typing this, I can't stop crying. I do hope nothing with happen to Randy and that he will eventually start eating again. She told me Sandy would stash the food and that Randy would go and eat the food Sandy stashed. It is truly a heartbreaking situation and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to Sandy's thread
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Sandy-s-Story
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

SammysMom (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (01-30-2016), tivrusky (01-30-2016)

squizzabelle Guest

Default Re: Sandy suddenly passed :(

I am so sorry -

Cheryl x

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to squizzabelle:

lennysmom (01-30-2016), SammysMom (01-30-2016)

So sad to hear about little Sandy...

RIP, Sandy...

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Carol Lynn:

lennysmom (01-30-2016), SammysMom (01-30-2016)

Oh Lennysmom thanks for posting for Lisa....I know how hard it is to do .....I have no idea what could of happened to Sandy but I do go back to how fast Poppy's cancer came on/spread of course her's was obvious by the size of the growth...but there are others that are more hidden ...especially if an organ is involved...as far as diet I'm not sure if those blocks are any good...someone else may know...the only other thing that caught my attention was the peppers...I use to feed Baby peppers...she loved them...but then there was an incident here....and peppers were suspected as being the cause....so I stopped feeding them to Baby oh and my guys get stuck with the firm avocados quite often with no ill effects ....tell Lisa my heart is breaking for her...and as far as Randy goes...I'd just sit quietly near is cage....I think he will appreciate the company it will be comforting and it may help him to transfer is attachment to Lisa

This is just everyone's worst nightmare
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

lennysmom (01-30-2016), Nancy in New York (01-30-2016), SammysMom (01-30-2016)

Yes Sweeper, it is everyone's worst nightmare and my heart is really hurting for her. I did mention to Lisa that it is entirely possible little Sandy could have had some kind of condition not visible to the naked eye - I do know that squirrels are masters at hiding illness because they see it as a sign of weakness. I think about just how terribly sick Lenny was when I brought him in last winter... he acted COMPLETELY normal other then the vomit - that scenario could've had a much different ending if I hadn't happened to see him vomit. In the end I know all we can do is take the best care of these precious lives we were blessed with caring for and leave the rest in God's hands.
    My prayer now is that little Randy stay safe and healthy. Thank you for your input. I will mention the peppers to Lisa.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Nancy in New York (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (01-30-2016)

lovesmice Guest

I have a few suggestions for dealing with grief because I often go through this with the mice. Animals can die from it so your friend is right to be concerned. (I lost mice twice to it, but this is over 20 years and with many, many mice.) If she has not already she should clean the cage and all accessories thoroughly. I always bury my colonies together, but when one passes I do not want the survivors wondering why they can still smell their friend, but not find her. It helps to distract the survivor with lots of new exploratory and chew toys in the home. It can also help to offer more free range time. I was going to suggest more one on one time, too, but you mention Randy is not big on being held so scratch that. At the risk of sounding like I am trying to sabotage his diet, I always give extra favorite treats, but obviously since Randy is not eating this may not be possible. (Sorry if none of this helps. I have not yet read her thread so do not know the entire situation.)

It is very kind of you to post for your friend. Please pass along my deepest condolences over the loss of her Sandy, and sincerest wishes that Randy recovers from his grief.

12. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lovesmice:

HRT4SQRLS (01-30-2016), KarmaKay (02-02-2016), lennysmom (01-30-2016), SammysMom (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (01-30-2016)

I'm so sorry. I agree with Sweeper--sitting quietly beside his cage--or even next to it with him running around, should be comforting. Sweet sleep Sandy

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

KarmaKay (02-02-2016), lennysmom (01-30-2016), SammysMom (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (01-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by lovesmice View Post
    I have a few suggestions for dealing with grief because I often go through this with the mice. Animals can die from it so your friend is right to be concerned. (I lost mice twice to it, but this is over 20 years and with many, many mice.) If she has not already she should clean the cage and all accessories thoroughly. I always bury my colonies together, but when one passes I do not want the survivors wondering why they can still smell their friend, but not find her. It helps to distract the survivor with lots of new exploratory and chew toys in the home. It can also help to offer more free range time. I was going to suggest more one on one time, too, but you mention Randy is not big on being held so scratch that. At the risk of sounding like I am trying to sabotage his diet, I always give extra favorite treats, but obviously since Randy is not eating this may not be possible. (Sorry if none of this helps. I have not yet read her thread so do not know the entire situation.)

It is very kind of you to post for your friend. Please pass along my deepest condolences over the loss of her Sandy, and sincerest wishes that Randy recovers from his grief.
    Thank you lovesmice. I did pass along your consonances and your advice. I know she is trying her best to help Randy get though this. I think she will be back on when she is ready, but until then I know she really appreciates all the concern and input that is given.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Shewhosweptforest (01-30-2016)

Oh please tell Lisa that my heart is breaking for her. I used to post all of her photos of little
    Sandy, and I fell madly in love with that little girl.
    My heart also breaks for Randy as well. He will miss his buddy terribly, and how do you
    even explain something like this to a little squirrel. He is grieving too.

You're right Lennysmom, this is SO heartbreaking and tragic.
    I agree with Gayle, some times these passings just come right out of the blue
    and leave us with too many unanswered questions, and heartache.

The only thing I would question is the peppers.
    We have seen squirrels get sick/die before from eating green peppers.
    Here is a link which can better explain the reasoning to use caution/AVOID when feeding
    a night shade vegetable. I would think that she would have seen vomit though.
    Even if this is not the cause, Lisa may want to avoid feeding these to Randy.
    http://www.anaturalway.com/index.html

Please send Lisa my deepest sympathy.

Rest in Peace
    Precious Sandy you left us to soon.Name:  dove2.gif
Views: 118
Size:  701 Bytes
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 01-30-2016 at 09:19 PM.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

lennysmom (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (01-30-2016)

Long Distance Prayers--- for Peace...within.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

lennysmom (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (01-30-2016)

So so sorry.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommaluvy:

lennysmom (02-02-2016), Nancy in New York (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (02-02-2016)

I am so sorry for your loss Lisa Randy

R.I.P. sweet Sandy

It will be 2 years on 2/9 that we suddenly lost our 6 month old boy Gabriel. He was perfect the night before and was happy playing with his brother from a different litter (Toby about 2 weeks older). They both were eating the exact same diet ( the only new thing I introduced that day was brussel sprouts and they mostly shredded them).

The morning of the day he past away he didn't get up first as usual and that worried me immediately (they were rooming in different cages, they each had a Marshall mansion that were side by side, but they always had playtime together and interacted with each other through the bars). I took Gabriel out of the cage and felt he was cool to the touch. I tried warming him by holding him in the robe, but he wouldn't let me so I put him in the pet carrier with his favorite blanket, added a heating pad and tried to hydrate and gave him some honey. During all that time my daughter checked Gave's cage and found some vomit. He kept climbing of the heat and out of his blanket. He passed within 3 hours and I don't know what happened it was heartbreaking.

Poor little Toby didn't understand what was going on. He was pacing in his cage. One of my first responses was to clean both cages and all play areas. I was searching for any clues to what happened and I couldn't find anything. Till this day I haven't figured out what happened that day. Toby didn't get any shelled nuts for about 3 months, because I was afraid I may had given Gabriel a bad nut.

Toby was grieving and didn't understand where his brother was (he never saw Gabriel after he had passed away). We all spent a lot of extra time with Toby, bought him some new toys and sometimes just sat by his cage quietly or talked to him. Whenever Toby was out playing he would run around and search for Gabriel in his favorite places. He started to interact more with us as playmates and over time he searched less and less. Our intention was to soft release them together, but after this ordeal he really bonded with us and he is a happy, moody and often naughty indoor squirrel today.
    There is not one day that I don't think about Gabriel. He will always have a special place in my heart.

My heart is breaking for you and Randy and I'm praying your hearts will heal

24. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Coralreefer (02-03-2016), KarmaKay (02-02-2016), lennysmom (01-30-2016), Nancy in New York (01-30-2016), SammysMom (01-30-2016), Shewhosweptforest (02-02-2016)

How heartbreaking I'm so so sorry to hear about Lisaroo's precious Sandy

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DarkLies212:

lennysmom (01-31-2016), Shewhosweptforest (02-02-2016)

my heart aches for your loss, I am at a loss for words. This is the thing all of us squirrel parents fear the most, Rest easy Sandy.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

lennysmom (02-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (02-02-2016)

Gods Speed Sandy.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

lennysmom (02-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (02-02-2016)

Lisa wanted me to thank everyone for their condolences and prayers during this heartbreaking time for her and Randy.
    Also, she told me today and Randy is doing a little better and starting to act more like himself.
    Such a handsome boy.

32. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

KarmaKay (02-02-2016), lukaslolamaus (02-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (02-02-2016)

Thank you for posting lennysmom!
    Poor Lisa, her heart must be so heavy.
    Poor Randy too. I'm glad they have each other though.
    What a beautiful boy Randy is!
    Lisa Randy Sandy

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

lennysmom (02-02-2016), lukaslolamaus (02-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (02-02-2016)

so sorry about Sandy's passing! I have an idea that may also help Randy. I might even wear a piece of fleece in your shirt and then place this fleece in the cube where he sleeps to give him more comfort. To have a smell of Lisa might be comforting in getting him through this time and help hi to bond more with her.

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KarmaKay from:

lennysmom (02-02-2016)

So sorry....
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coralreefer from:

lennysmom (02-03-2016)