Thread: Overheating Emergency?

Default Overheating Emergency?

Today while I was out with Benni (southern flying squirrel), he was in a pouch with mesh windows. He was fighting to get out as he does sometimes when he gets hyper, so I just let him sit until he stopped pulling at the zipper. What I didn't notice was that he was likely getting too hot and trying to get out because of that. In the past I've had him with me in the pouch for extended hours while I've been at school and it hasn't been a problem. With his new winter coat I'm wondering if it was too much warmth, I haven't had him in the pouch since he molted.
    Anyhow after he stopped fighting I thought he was settling down to sleep but when I looked I saw a lot of drool by his mouth and he was laying down on his back with his eyes slightly opened. I immediately took him out and tried to cool him down by blowing cool air on his fur, he was slightly out of it but came to. I immediately offered cool water which he drank. Afterwards he wasn't lethargic but wanted to sleep. He didn't have diarrhea but I noticed some light colored discharge by his rectum. This was about two hours ago, I put him to rest in his nest and have been checking on him since. He's acting normally for the most part but won't let me hold him. I offered the hydration formula (water, sugar, salt) and he hasn't drank it yet.

I'm extremely worried he had a heat stroke. Do I need to bring him to get fluids or oxygen? Is it too late to do this if it's been two hours? He didn't have a seizure or vomit or pass out. Because he came to and was seemingly normal other than slightly sleepy I thought I had cooled him down, but after researching this should i have put water on him??

Default Re: Overheating Emergency?

I would definitely syringe it to him whether he acts like he wants it or not. Hydration is never a bad thing and if by chance it is overheating it will help.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thank you for the response.

Just now I pulled him out and he drank a good amount of the hydration formula. I also offered a grape which he licked but would not eat. I offered his vegetables as well which he smelt and seemed interested in but also just licked. I'm wondering if he nauseous? Maybe doesn't feel good and thats why he won't let me hold him as well?

Does he feel overly warm?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

KarmaKay (01-27-2016)

He doesn't anymore, just after I pulled him out of the pouch.
    I guess I'm concerned there could be after effects, like damage to his organs if it was a heat stroke. What are some symptoms I should look for?

I'm not really sure with a flyer. I'm sorry I disappeared, I was out feeding my flyers. I think he will be okay as ling as you hydrate him properly. Can you post a picture of how he looks right now?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

KarmaKay (01-27-2016)

No worries! Unfortunately I can't cause I'm on mobile. He looks good, fur is in good condition. He drank about 3 more times for around 30 seconds each time. His belly felt slightly tight but that might be because of all the fluid he consumed.

If you text it to me at 203 214-7427 I can post it for you.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

KarmaKay (01-27-2016)

It sounds luke he got stressed and possibly had a seizure. Try to keep it dark and quiet and make sure he has some wet foods (melon, blueberries, etc if he needs extra moisture. I am not a big fan of using zippered bonding bags with flyers. I let them sleep directly inside my shirt. If not really bonded I stay in tent with them. Stress and flyers are a very bad combination. What do you normally feed? What is his regular diet?
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to pappy1264:

Anne (01-28-2016), KarmaKay (01-27-2016)

Sorry I am just getting to this now.
    I would use the pouch just for going out with him, otherwise he is very bonded to me. Just worried about him getting loose, but lesson learned with the pouch. I like to have him with me as much as possible, are there alternatives to the pouch that are safer? Or is it just unwise to bring him with me at all?
    He gets a henrys block daily, along with the recommended veggies with calcium powder. Occasional fruit and nut treats.
    During the incident the pouch was in my lap and I didn't feel him shaking or anything like that, just trying to get comfortable and as soon as he stopped moving around was when I pulled him out. He was very warm so I'm still thinking over heating. I know stress is bad for any animal, but when you say particularly flyers, are they more susceptible to physical injuries or things going wrong with them during a stressful incident?

If he is getting a Henry's block daily, stop the calcium! Do not over supplement!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Good to know, didn't realize I didn't need the powder if he was getting blocks. Thanks!