Thread: Wax accident

Default Wax accident

Does any one have some advise to remove wax. I had it up on my tall dresser and Rocky jumped and knocked it over. I always keep things on that dresser because he can't jump up on it because it is too high but the more I want to keep him away from it the more he tries. I had my back to him and from my bed he jumped and then on the dresser. Thank God not Hardly any really got on him but what is he keep trying to wipe it off on the carpet. What a lesson this was. It could have been really really bad and only because of my husbands complaining of it smelling in the room I even did it. Truthfully I couldn't smell it. And I clean is cage everyday from blanket to the cage it's self. But what little wax is on him is bothering him. He didn't get burned in the process thank God. I tried with cold water and he went into his terror mode. I would hate to try to give him a complete bath what a disaster that would be. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Wax accident

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhawk98 View Post
    Does any one have some advise to remove wax. I had it up on my tall dresser and Rocky jumped and knocked it over. I always keep things on that dresser because he can't jump up on it because it is too high but the more I want to keep him away from it the more he tries. I had my back to him and from my bed he jumped and then on the dresser. Thank God not Hardly any really got on him but what is he keep trying to wipe it off on the carpet. What a lesson this was. It could have been really really bad and only because of my husbands complaining of it smelling in the room I even did it. Truthfully I couldn't smell it. And I clean is cage everyday from blanket to the cage it's self. But what little wax is on him is bothering him. He didn't get burned in the process thank God. I tried with cold water and he went into his terror mode. I would hate to try to give him a complete bath what a disaster that would be. Any suggestions?
    Maybe try a stiff toothbrush or a fine comb and rake it out.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Maybe try a stiff toothbrush or a fine comb and rake it out.
    But first, rub some oil into the area - cooking oil is fine - and make sure you get it on the wax - and let it sit for a bit, THEN you can work it off a lot easier either just with your fingertips (under the guise of giving him a body rub ). Candle wax is mostly paraffin and the oil will soften it significantly and make it easier to get out.

I don't know if he will let you, but if he doesn't mind the blow dryer, blowing warm/hot air into his fur in that area will do the same thing but a lot more efficiently. You can blow his fur (lay a finger right across the part of his body in the path of your dryer so you know exactly how hot it is - if it starts to be uncomfortable for you, you know it is getting the same for him) and then wipe the area with a paper towel. This will be the most effective way but he may freak with the blow dryer. If so, go with the oil. If you use vegetable oil or olive oil it won't hurt him to groom it out of his fur. Wiping him down with a paper towel will help absorb both the oil and the wax.

Either works. I actually used to earn a meager living selling art that involves melted wax as part of the process so I have messed with it a lot.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

KarmaKay (01-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    But first, rub some oil into the area - cooking oil is fine - and make sure you get it on the wax - and let it sit for a bit, THEN you can work it off a lot easier either just with your fingertips (under the guise of giving him a body rub ). Candle wax is mostly paraffin and the oil will soften it significantly and make it easier to get out.

I don't know if he will let you, but if he doesn't mind the blow dryer, blowing warm/hot air into his fur in that area will do the same thing but a lot more efficiently. You can blow his fur (lay a finger right across the part of his body in the path of your dryer so you know exactly how hot it is - if it starts to be uncomfortable for you, you know it is getting the same for him) and then wipe the area with a paper towel. This will be the most effective way but he may freak with the blow dryer. If so, go with the oil. If you use vegetable oil or olive oil it won't hurt him to groom it out of his fur. Wiping him down with a paper towel will help absorb both the oil and the wax.

Either works. I actually used to earn a meager living selling art that involves melted wax as part of the process so I have messed with it a lot.
    Thanks Guys, I can't tell you how I panicked before I knew the extent of the problem. At least he is ok. Thank you God

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ladyhawk98 from:

KarmaKay (01-23-2016)

Sounds like you have some great ideas for your squirrel. If the wax got on the rug... get a brown paper grocery bag ..lay it directly on the affected carpet and press the iron on top of ö the paper with a warm to hot iron. It will remove almost all of the wax. You need a lot of paper..and keep moving it around to get a new/ dry part of the paper. Works like magic.