Thread: Winter Blues?

Default Winter Blues?

Hi everyone,

My 1.5 year old Gray Squirrel has been rather lazy in the past week. He is eating his food, but drinking much less than normal. He wasn't his usual chipper self this morning when I gave him his breakfast. Generally I spend my whole night with him running around and playing, recently he only wants to nap in his hammock with only an hour of play.

I haven't changed his diet (oxbow rat pellets, spinach, carrots, grapes, broccoli and a treat almond in the evening). He's pooping regularily and still grooming himself. Is it because of the time of year?

Help please!

Default Re: Winter Blues?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimuraa View Post
    Hi everyone,

My 1.5 year old Gray Squirrel has been rather lazy in the past week. He is eating his food, but drinking much less than normal. He wasn't his usual chipper self this morning when I gave him his breakfast. Generally I spend my whole night with him running around and playing, recently he only wants to nap in his hammock with only an hour of play.

I haven't changed his diet (oxbow rat pellets, spinach, carrots, grapes, broccoli and a treat almond in the evening). He's pooping regularily and still grooming himself. Is it because of the time of year?

Help please!

It can have a lot to do with it, seasonal changes are still experienced with "captives."
    My 5 year old has been hunkering down like she's in a drey up in a tree somewhere getting snowed on.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Kimuraa (01-22-2016)

Default Re: Winter Blues?

Oh excellent, I'm not sure if squirrels get colds or flus like we do, but I was worried he was becoming ill. I'm glad he's just a regular lazy winter fuzzy