Thread: What type of material to use for DIY squirrel enclosure?

Default What type of material to use for DIY squirrel enclosure?

I am building a pvc cage for my Southern Flying Squirrel, Benni. I've looked at many different plans for DIY cages and they suggest using Garden Plus hardware netting, a material that is plastic like. However when I felt the material I wondered if it might be too weak, that Benni would chew through it. He has in the past chewed through a screen door material (smaller cage), and a temporary cage which was fabric material. I was wondering if anyone had input on what has worked for them, that their squirrels can't chew through. I am not using galvanized metal because I read sugar gliders can get UTI's from the metal and I don't want to take the chance with Benni. Any suggestions for DIY cages are also super helpful!

Default Re: What type of material to use for DIY squirrel enclosure?

Find some 1/4 inch hardware cloth (wire mesh). It IS galvanized but that is only an issue if they chew the wire. The 1/4" hardware cloth has such small holes that they can't shove their muzzles far enough through it to chew - they can't even open their mouth! I have gotten the 1/4" at Lowes in the past - the 1/2" is much easier to find.

My flyer has never chewed his cage bars but of course they are all individuals. If you have a few grand burning a hole in your pocket you can buy stainless steel hardware cloth - I used some to make a big parrot enclosure (they chew EVERYTHING) - but it is REALLY expensive and would be something you would have to order.

More important is making sure they cannot access any of the cut edges as it is razor sharp.