Thread: Help! Severe hair loss on head of southern flying squirrel

Default Help! Severe hair loss on head of southern flying squirrel

I am a new flying squirrel owner and have had Benni for the last 3 months. He is young of this year, likely born in late July. Recently he has had some hair loss on his head which started as 2 patches near the top of his eyes, and a third on the back of his head. In the last month it has progressed to where he is nearly bald on his head.
    I am not sure what is causing the hair loss as the skin is not red or irritated. I was concerned it had something to do with his diet, because I had been feeding him Exotic Nutrition Squirrel Diet w/ fruits and nuts (pellets) along with fresh veggies, fruit, and Exotic Nutrition bugs and berry blend. HOWEVER last week I realized I had messed up his diet by offering these all at the same time. Meaning he was selecting the sweet stuff rather than the healthy foods, though he would still eat greens. I wonder if this could be a cause of the hair loss? I have ordered Henry's Blocks and now understand how to feed him (Henry's in AM, veggies, and a fruit or nut later).
    I also wonder if it could be over grooming? Stress grooming? He has a pouch that I would bring him to class in, so he spent most of the day with me. However he tore the pouch about a month ago, and had begun to get very active in the afternoon around dusk so I couldn't bring him to class or he would escape/hurt himself trying to get out. I wonder if spending less time out with me has also resulted in the stress grooming. I don't leave him alone for full days but I worry leaving him alone during the day results in stress grooming.
    Is there anything I can put on the bald spots? Any foods that especially help with hair? Any suggestions are appreciated!! THanks so much!

Name:  benhair.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  81.6 KB

Default Re: Help! Severe hair loss on head of southern flying squirrel

Exotic Nutrition really p*sses me off because their "squirrel foods" are CRAP - very high phosphorus, filled with seeds and junk, and the fact that they tout themselves as "experts" in feeding exotic animal and are passing this stuff off is just awful.

Dump it out where the mice can have a field day and feed the Henrys. They are nocturnal so 99% of their eating will be at night - I give all the food to my flyer for his "night shift" and just leave a few things to nibble in case he wakes up during the day. Lean more heavily toward veggies than fruit, too.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Patagium (12-18-2015)

Thanks for the information on exotic nutrition! I had no idea, throwing it out immediately.

I've heard SFS go through a molt, however I'm not sure when that is. THANK YOU soooo much for doing your research for the little one!!! Henry's is going to help out a whole whole lot!

Patagium... I like your user name.
    I agree with CritterMom about the Exotic Nutrition food. I always try to 'soften' it when I say it but CritterMom just blurts it out. That what I love about her.
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Exotic Nutrition really p*sses me off because their "squirrel foods" are CRAP - very high phosphorus, filled with seeds and junk, and the fact that they tout themselves as "experts" in feeding exotic animal and are passing this stuff off is just awful.
    I have 3 flyers. The oldest is 5 years old and the other two are 3 years old. I always hear people talk about molting but mine have NEVER lost any of their hair at all. The hair loss on the head is not 'stress grooming'. Sometimes they will start obsessively chewing on a body part but you would certainly recognize something like that.

There IS a possibility that the hair loss is due to the poor diet. Lack of protein could cause hair loss. Are you feeding a protein source? We feed Meal Worms or WaxWorms. I also feed a dog treat called PureBites dehydrated chicken. The thing I like about it is (1) it is made in the USA, unlike most jerky products (2) it is 100% chicken (dehydrated) (3) it is 74% protein (min).

Good luck with your baby. We need to see more pics of Benni. I bet you have some before the hair loss. Right?

Thank you HRT4SQRLS! I have been feeding dried mealworms for about a month, when I first noticed the hair loss. Can I extra supplement the mealworms or are they too much of a treat? Are the live ones better?

Quote Originally Posted by Patagium View Post
    Thank you HRT4SQRLS! I have been feeding dried mealworms for about a month, when I first noticed the hair loss. Can I extra supplement the mealworms or are they too much of a treat? Are the live ones better?
    Yes, the live ones are better.
    The worms have a bad calcium: phosphorus ratio so you should roll them in calcium carbonate powder to offset this imbalance. They LOVE the live worms.