Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old gray squirrel with MBD

Default Re: 4 month old gray squirrel with MBD

Yes he's on the blocks as well. He doesn't get peanut butter very often but maybe once a week. Should I be giving him yogurt still?

Full fat yogurt, no artificial sweeteners for sure!

I have a question bc Im getting different opinions on it. Can squirrels have eggs???? Wildlife refuge for squirrel care has eggs on their safe food list but I've always heard egg yolks are toxic to squirrels. What's your opinion? I've never given him eggs because I wasn't sure if that was safe and had always heard you shouldn't feed them to captive squirrels

If they will eat.them you can give eggs. Don't overdo it, but a bit of extra protein is good.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Do I only give the egg white or is yolk ok? Do I give it to him raw? He needs to fatten up after I was gone for 2 days and he refused to eat anything my mother gave to him. He rolled all of it into a giant nasty burrito in his blanket and got a little puny bc he wouldn't eat for her and only hid his food

I feed all my squirrels, greys and flyers eggs. I scramble the egg and add the ground up shell (calcium source). Sprinkle some dry formula powder on his food too, that has everything they need in it. Sounds very young for MBD.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Okay I will try this thank you! I assumed it was mbd that was wrong with him bc he went lame but is recovering very quickly. There was no way possible for him to get hurt but with giving the calcium he is back to climbing, holding his tail up, etc. He still just can't perch on his back legs without holding onto something still and sometimes hops kind of like a rabbit. He's got a very healthy diet. He's recovering well considering he was paralyzed from the neck down basically. Do I need to boil the egg shells first or just rinse and grins them?

You can use calcium carbonate that you can get at a health food store, instead of the egg shell. It's not very expensive and is easily absorbed when ingested. I give my squirrel eggs with cheese and he loves them.

Well I tried the scrambled egg and he smelled it and spent the rest of the time it was in his cage wiping his face on everything in disgust and throwing a fit until I took it out lol. He's being very demanding and spoiled lately with his food. Hes been refusing to eat anything besides some block and avacado or apples. I've practically had to starve him into taking the block some days. He's doing good though. It makes me paranoid when he doesn't eat bc I've read so much about their teeth over growing but he does have cuttlebone, pumice stone, chew sticks, and a large oak branch that he chews on. Do you clip your squirrels teeth or do they wear them down naturally? Everything looks fine with him I'm just asking for future reference incase he ever has to get them clipped

Generally they wear down naturally if used regularly. There are times when, for one reaon or another, they don't wear properly and then they do need to be clipped.
    By the way, my squirrel had the very same reaction to eggs. Acted like I was trying to poison him...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Ok I was just wondering about the teeth because I don't have anyone around my area that I know of that clips teeth and it always concerns me. I check his teeth ALOT!! Yes he did act like I was trying to poison him lol! He did jump out of his cage this morning onto my arm! He's getting his strength back and wants to be able to jump out on my shoulder like he used to

I've been giving squirrel 2 Henry blocks a day and alot of veggies. He acts like he's starving for them! Can he have more than 2 a day or is that absolutely all he can have? He acts really like he needs them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbow View Post
    I've been giving squirrel 2 Henry blocks a day and alot of veggies. He acts like he's starving for them! Can he have more than 2 a day or is that absolutely all he can have? He acts really like he needs them.
    I think it is great that he loves his block and I would want to continue to encourage that by not giving him any more than two. That enthusiasm to eat his block is invaluable.

Have you tried providing a high-quality rat block in addition to the Henry's and veggies? Something like Oxbow Regal Rat, Mazuri, etc. He can eat as much of that as he wants.

I've given him rodent block but he just hides them. I will look into these brands and maybe I can order them online. I'm in a small town with no pets tore within an hour of me and the feed store tried to sell me rat poison when I asked for rodent block if that tells you what my resources are lol

I've given him rodent block but he just hides them. I will look into these brands and maybe I can order them online. I'm in a small town with no pets tore within an hour of me and the feed store tried to sell me rat poison when I asked for rodent block if that tells you what my resources are lol
    I know exactly what you mean about the small town feed store "help" with rodent block! I bough the Oxbow Regal Rat from Amazon, seems to be a favorite with my guys.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SammysMom (02-05-2016)

Ok I was just wondering about the teeth because I don't have anyone around my area that I know of that clips teeth and it always concerns me. I check his teeth ALOT!!
    Are you still concerned about his teeth? If so, if you can possibly take a picture and post that would help folks to let you know if anything is wrong (alignment, length, etc.).

I was looking at them (he let's me look in his mouth) and they appear fine. I was just concerned bc he won't chew pumice stone or cuttlebone, however he is a woodchipper snd has even large pieces chewed down to splinters I'm no time lol. I'm unsure how to post a picture as I had tried when I was asking about it but it wouldn't load from my smartphone.

If he is a wood chipper he is probably good in the teeth arena. Here is a sticky on how to upload pics:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...s-on-this-site

If you still have trouble and want me to upload a pic for you, let me know and I will PM my e-mail address to you.

He's eating the Henry blocks fine does anyone think he still needs to be on the extra calcium? I do not want a relapse of this mbd!

He's eating the Henry blocks fine does anyone think he still needs to be on the extra calcium? I do not want a relapse of this mbd!
    If the MBD is completely reversed, I would stop calcium. Too much is almost as bad as too little

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast