Thread: Fleas & Parasites

Default Fleas & Parasites

All,

I have dogs, cats and my Peanut. I keep all my kids on flea prevention and dewormed...how are fleas on squirrels handled? I am assuming they get them... also internal parasites. Any guidance is appreciated. Happy Holidays to all

Default Re: Fleas & Parasites

I add a little bit of ground food grade Diatomaceous Earth to my block mixture (no more than 2% so it's around 4-6 grams). I also rub it into their fur

Some use a drop of revolution on their squirrels, too!

If I see signs of fleas, I use a 1cc syringe to drop ONE TINY drop of Revolution between the shoulder blades. Make sure that you get it onto the skin and not just on the fur. You can also use Adams flea spray on a paper towel to wipe them down. I sort of wrap it around them like a cloak for a minute or so and then put them into a container of clean bedding.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    If I see signs of fleas, I use a 1cc syringe to drop ONE TINY drop of Revolution between the shoulder blades. Make sure that you get it onto the skin and not just on the fur. You can also use Adams flea spray on a paper towel to wipe them down. I sort of wrap it around them like a cloak for a minute or so and then put them into a container of clean bedding.
    You've used Adams before on them without any problems?
    I've heard such horror stories about the stuff! It's good to know a cheaper alternative (and non RX) can be used and is safe!!

I have never used Hartz, but I was told that Adams powder was safe and they don't seem to offer the powder anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    You've used Adams before on them without any problems?
    I've heard such horror stories about the stuff! It's good to know a cheaper alternative (and non RX) can be used and is safe!!

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I have never used Hartz, but I was told that Adams powder was safe and they don't seem to offer the powder anymore.
    Naturally! Find something good and the company doesn't offer it anymore

What about on babies? I just had 3 more brought to me. About 4 to 5 weeks old. Eyes not open yet. Havent weighed yet. Trying to get them warm before anything. But she said they do have fleas on them. Theres for in the photo but sadly one didnt make it. She was waiting to see if momma would come back and a stray cat got one and rather risking the others she brought them to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Copds Guest

Have two baby squirrels now for about two weeks. Believe them to be about 8-9 weeks. Appears they have fleas (have not seen fleas but they scratch now and then. Been using Wholistic Pet Organics Diatomaceous Earth rubbing it on their coat every other day and the scratching seems to have diminished. Is this product safe to sprinkle on the grass I us as a bedding for them. The label says you can feed it to dogs.
    Thanks,
    Copds (Don Shaw)

MegeanK Guest

I got the fleas off of my two girls with dawn dish soap. Just put like 2 to 3 drops in some water(about an inch in the sink) and rubbed them down with a paper towel and the water mix... Haven't seen a flea in days...