Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't know what's going on need help!!

Default Re: Don't know what's going on need help!!

Oh and that brown liquid looking stuff in the bottom of her cage is a water bottle. She loves playing with them

First off...no point feeling bad, you're here to fix it and you can do that now. Petsmart usually carries Kaytee and Oxbow. I give mine the oxbow for adult rats. Either of the oxbows are fine. If all they have is Kaytee or another brand, be sure to get the one that is sort of large pieces and not a mixture of other things like seeds. It looks less appealing than the seed mixes, but it is healthier. Whichever Tums they have are fine, just use the info Nancy posted to figure out how much is actually in it. Don't get the chews as they are hard to mix with water.

Going forward, the best blocks are from henryspets.com and they are made for squirrels specifically. These are the ones that I use:
    http://www.henryspets.com/picky-blocks-adult-formula/

Thank you guys so much!! I will keep you updated and will order those once I get money in the bank. Do they happen to sell those in bigger bags?

No, but they keep in the freezer and the shipping is flat rate so it doesn't matter how many you purchase and the shipping will be the same. I buy a bunch at a time.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Kisbell17 (12-05-2015)

She ate a tums I gave her some more rodent block and a few veggies. She stashed some of it. I'm cleaning her cage tomorrow so it's no big deal. But she seems really bloated. I don't think she's pooped in a while. Is there anything I can give her to maybe help her poop like a laxative or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisbell17 View Post
    She ate a tums I gave her some more rodent block and a few veggies. She stashed some of it. I'm cleaning her cage tomorrow so it's no big deal. But she seems really bloated. I don't think she's pooped in a while. Is there anything I can give her to maybe help her poop like a laxative or something?
    Can you post a picture of her tummy?
    You could give her some prune juice, just a little, ~ 1 cc to start.

Ohkay I'll have to get a picture tomorrow I'm already in bed and she's done in her box asleep lol

Is there any chance you have a local vet who would safely see her?

Ohkay I'll have to get a picture tomorrow I'm already in bed and she's done in her box asleep lol
    OK
    Another thing you can try for constipation is apple juice in water about a 50/50 ratio.
    Apple juice contains pectin and this will help draw water into the "gut" making the stools softer.

Typically constipation is caused from dehydration.
    Make sure your water bottle is working. Check that little ball daily.

Thanks I would've never thought of that and it works a little too much it's constantly dripping

Here's a few pictures of her this morning she looked just like she did yesterday morning. She has eaten another tums this morning with no problem she got out and played but shes still not acting how she usually does. She loves to be held and pet and she wasn't having none of that. She did play with her toy for a little bit too but not as much as usual. And I have a weird question what color are her teeth supposed to be?
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Their teeth, when healthy are orange... I bet you looked at her teeth and though "OMG!!! THEY'RE ORANGE!!!"
    How old did you say she is? Maybe her behavior is a combination of low calcium and hormones.

I'm thinking it's kind of hormonal also. And yeah I wanted to make sure that her teeth was normal lol. And shoot I had a rough guesstament birthday wrote down and finally found it she's actually about 9 months old 😮. And I just seen the thing about a vet. And would I be able to take her to a vet cause I don't have my permit to have her yet and I'm not a rehabilitator?

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kisbell17 from:

Eejay (12-01-2016)

Ok..

Could she have MBD sure can. So I won't comment there. I would treat.

I can see the prominent spine your talking about in those pictures. And yes that looks really weird. So..tell us more about how she ended up with you. She was 3/4 weeks old ? Any idea what happened to her tail? I am just curious .and wondering it its growth from an old injury or something.. I dunno but sometimes I think the back story is important.

She does not appear emaciated but that prominence of the spine is really weird.
    Any chance of Vet care?
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

You would only be able to take her to a vet if you had a confirmed safe vet. I have a list, but none are in your area.
    Okay, at nine months, this is probably hormonal, but I would still keep up the additional calcium and chance her diet to reflect the healthy guide in our Nutrition forum. Keep a close eye on her and keep up up on what is happening. You're one of us now, so don't go anywhere. We will want to follow her progress...

I will keep you guys updated. And is there any safe vets any where in michigan? And I got her at 3/4 weeks. I got her and her brother but he ended up dying of an unknown cause I think maybe pneumonia. Theyre eyes werent onpen when i got them. At the time my boyfriend worked in the tree service and when they were cutting up the trees they ended up cutting her tail off and it burned it it instantly so it didn't bleed. They picked the log up to move it and they fell out. They didn't know they were in there. He sat them where the tree was all day to see if the mom would come back and get them and she didn't so he brought them home and I bottle fed them and bandaged up her tail. It never seemed to hurt her for us to touch it and mess with it. She ended up being super healthy and active until now. She is very clumsy though she fallspice every now and then. She also throws herself all over the bottom of the cage with her toys so she could've hurt herself. Here's a picture of how big they were when I got them. You can really only see the boy as she liked to sleep under everything in a ball
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I will keep you guys updated. And is there any safe vets any where in michigan? And I got her at 3/4 weeks. I got her and her brother but he ended up dying of an unknown cause I think maybe pneumonia. Theyre eyes werent onpen when i got them. At the time my boyfriend worked in the tree service and when they were cutting up the trees they ended up cutting her tail off and it burned it it instantly so it didn't bleed. They picked the log up to move it and they fell out. They didn't know they were in there. He sat them where the tree was all day to see if the mom would come back and get them and she didn't so he brought them home and I bottle fed them and bandaged up her tail. It never seemed to hurt her for us to touch it and mess with it. She ended up being super healthy and active until now. She is very clumsy though she fallspice every now and then. She also throws herself all over the bottom of the cage with her toys so she could've hurt herself. Here's a picture of how big they were when I got them. You can really only see the boy as she liked to sleep under everything in a ball
    What city or town are you in.
    We can see if we have any trusted members nearby
    that may have a vet.

This picture is just precious.
    When you say bottle fed. Did you actually use a bottle?
    If so, they are not recommended as they can easily aspirate.
    I'm just telling you this for the future. With your boyfriend being
    a tree cutter, you KNOW you will be bound to get in more little ones
    needing your help.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Any chance this could be related to the cedar chips in the bottom of the cage? I doubt it, but figured I'd mention it since they are known to be not so good.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

No I used a syringe! I should've specified lol. And oh I didn't know those were bad!! What else could I put in the bottom of her cage cause the bottom is just wood and it's pretty hard to clean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast