Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen/infected Fingers

Default Swollen/infected Fingers

Hello everyone.
    I have my little one Trooper-Marie here again.
    Over the past couple days her fingers seem to have been getting swollen, losing hair, and a finger looks red and infected around one of her nails.
    I don't know what could be causing this, but she has been quite cranky the last couple days. She has been climbing a lot on her cage, which is all metal, and I'm wondering if this could be a cause of it. Also, I discovered a hidden spot in her room that she liked to use as a toilet. I had no idea about it and it hasn't been cleaned in quite a while. It's now cleaned and sterilized. Could her walking around in that spot cause something like this to happen? I have her in her little bunny cage to limit her climbing and activity, as well as keep her in a sterile environment for the time being.

There are hardly any vets that I can bring her too, it's very hard for me to get an anti-biotic prescription for her, unless I got a prescription made up for my cat (which is doable). I don't know if I would necessarily need antibiotics if there is another method that I could try. I read on some other forums on here, that people have used Antiseptics, neosporin, and aloe vera. I'm just scared that if this isn't treated soon, more serious complications could arise.

She is still active, shes eating and drinking, and her energy levels are quite normal. She has just been a little cranky lately. Her calcium could be down a little bit. I am making her a fresh batch of healthy blocks in the morning as I just received my new shipment of ingredients.

Here are a few pictures that I was able to take. I can get better pictures tomorrow if that would help.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  36.5 KBName:  2.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  40.4 KBName:  3.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  37.6 KBName:  4.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  33.4 KB

Default Re: Swollen/infected Fingers

Poor baby. Likely caught her finger on something. A topical antiseptic like neosporin should help. Can't really tell but looks like they're rubbed. Having a pee corner shouldn't hurt her fingers. Heck, put a litter pan there and see if she uses it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Poor baby. Likely caught her finger on something. A topical antiseptic like neosporin should help. Can't really tell but looks like they're rubbed. Having a pee corner shouldn't hurt her fingers. Heck, put a litter pan there and see if she uses it!
    It's not bloody but both of her paws are in rough shape, so about 4 fingers in total and what looks to be like an inflamed cuticle around a nail on one of the fingers. Last summer she did injure a finger and ripped off a toe nail where there was blood, but that healed up quickly. She has put on a little bit of weight last spring, so maybe the extra weight is making her acrobatic abilities a bit more dangerous with her cage?

What would be the proper amount of neosporin to use? Just a light coating? She does lick her paws quite frequently, Is a very tiny amount of neosporin ok to ingest, or would it make her sick?

Here is a picture of her and her cage.
    Name:  12250062_10156287298615010_7042133573565547529_n.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  75.3 KBName:  12274440_10156287298560010_4744947196467489508_n.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  83.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Silverline View Post
    It's not bloody but both of her paws are in rough shape, so about 4 fingers in total and what looks to be like an inflamed cuticle around a nail on one of the fingers. Last summer she did injure a finger and ripped off a toe nail where there was blood, but that healed up quickly. She has put on a little bit of weight last spring, so maybe the extra weight is making her acrobatic abilities a bit more dangerous with her cage?
    What would be the proper amount of neosporin to use? Just a light coating? She does lick her paws quite frequently, Is a very tiny amount of neosporin ok to ingest, or would it make her sick?
    Here is a picture of her and her cage.
    Light coating is fine, won't hurt her if she does lick.
    You might want to consider Ib to reduce swelling, definitely watch for infection but
    wouldn't jump the gun and put her on ab's if not necessary.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Light coating is fine, won't hurt her if she does lick.
    You might want to consider Ib to reduce swelling, definitely watch for infection but
    wouldn't jump the gun and put her on ab's if not necessary.
    Thank you for the advice, I'm unfamiliar of what Ib and ab's are though. Would you mind clarifying, I'm not to good when it comes to medicine. Thank you very much

Thank you for the advice, I'm unfamiliar of what Ib and ab's are though. Would you mind clarifying, I'm not to good when it comes to medicine. Thank you very much
    Abs, is antibiotics.
    Hope you are doing well honey!
    Trooper Marie

And "ib" is Infant Ibuprophen, which can help with pain and swelling. With her weight we can dose that for you.

Please spend some time going over your cage with a fine toothed comb. You have at least one pinch point which she has managed to find. Check the doors and also check where the cage walls come together. You don't want ANY bars that come together in a "V" and you don't want any spaces big enough for a to to go into but too small for it to slide easily out of. You may wind up pruing bars wider apart, or you may need to completely close gaps (wrapping a strip of fleece tightly around and around them and tying it off will do).

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Abs, is antibiotics.
    Hope you are doing well honey!
    Trooper Marie
    Gotcha! Thanks. I am doing really well. Still working on school and spending as much time as I can with Trooper-Marie. She is doing great except for this little incident.
    I'm going to post more pictures of her hands on the bottom of these posts. Can you take a quick look?

PS. Did Ben get a hold of you? He said he was going to contact you to return the cage

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    And "ib" is Infant Ibuprophen, which can help with pain and swelling. With her weight we can dose that for you.

Please spend some time going over your cage with a fine toothed comb. You have at least one pinch point which she has managed to find. Check the doors and also check where the cage walls come together. You don't want ANY bars that come together in a "V" and you don't want any spaces big enough for a to to go into but too small for it to slide easily out of. You may wind up pruing bars wider apart, or you may need to completely close gaps (wrapping a strip of fleece tightly around and around them and tying it off will do).
    Sounds good! I will get her on a scale tomorrow and get her proper weight. I'm going to thoroughly examine her cage again. This is becoming quite bothersome. Perhaps I might just buy a new and improved cage, and store this cage for emergencies.

At the bottom of this forum will be new pictures of Troopers hands, these are the best that I can take while she is active, I'm going to try to get better ones while she is asleep.

Hope you are well! Miss you!

So I was able to spray some diluted hydrogen peroxide on her paws a little while ago, I went to go get neosporin, and I was shocked to find out that neosporin is now discontinued. I went to see my doctor to get a prescription for something similar, and he gave me an ointment called Fucidin cream. Is anyone familiar with this? I didn't put any on her yet, as I wanted to run this past TSB first, and also while she is asleep. It's very hard to do anything with her while she is awake and active.

Here are some more pictures that I took of her hand, Again, because shes too active, they are not the best. When she is asleep, I will try to get better ones.

Name:  a.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  32.2 KBName:  b.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  49.5 KBName:  c.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  42.0 KBName:  d.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  39.4 KBName:  f.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  58.2 KBName:  g.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  56.7 KBName:  h.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  38.6 KBName:  i.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  41.8 KBName:  j.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  36.0 KBName:  k.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  47.0 KB

So I am able to get a hold of an AB called clavaseptin which is supposed to be exactly like Clavamox, and an anti-inflammatory called meloxyn. The Clavaseptin are 250mg tablets. These I can get from a friend who has these left over from when her dog was sick a couple of weeks ago. I've seen the name Clavamox used in some of the forum posts on here. Would this be a good AB to get Trooper-Marie on if properly dosed? I can take Trooper's weight tomorrow once I find the scale.

Thanks for the help

Looks like it is the same med. What does the tablet look like?

How much does she weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    How much does she weigh?
    Here is what the tablet looks like.
    Name:  173.jpg
Size:  151.9 KB
    I will have to weigh her tomorrow, I think I need to go buy a new scale. I can't find the one I used to have.

Here is what the tablet looks like.
    Name:  173.jpg
Size:  151.9 KB
    I will have to weigh her tomorrow, I think I need to go buy a new scale. I can't find the one I used to have.
    OK this is actually a chewable antibiotic.
    Not sure how this will dissolve in water or even break up.

I will send you dosing through a pm.
    Let me know if it appears to stay mixed when water is added.
    You should always shake it really well before administering.
    Always give a probiotic 2 hours prior or 2 hours after adminstering antibiotics.

Sending a pm now.

If you crush it and add the water a little at a time so it goes from paste to liquid gradually. I used a chewable Baytril once and it worked better to add the water a little at a time.

If you crush it and add the water a little at a time so it goes from paste to liquid gradually. I used a chewable Baytril once and it worked better to add the water a little at a time.

Perfect Gayle, I will pm that to him as well. I just sent the dosing instructions.

Thank you guys so much for the help. I just went to pick up her meds, However, I'm just missing the Probiotics. I will pick these up in the morning and then get her started on her meds.
    She is doing well right now, and I gave her a giant kiss from all of you

If she was mine, I would start the meds tonight and then give the probiotics around tomorrow's morning dose. (2 hrs before or after)

If she was mine, I would start the meds tonight and then give the probiotics around tomorrow's morning dose. (2 hrs before or after)
    Sound great! I will do this then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast