Thread: ????Calcium, Vitamin D, MBD, ect

Mybabypeanut Guest

Default ????Calcium, Vitamin D, MBD, ect

Hi everyone....this is Peanuts mom. My baby is the one that adopted me last spring in my front yard. I was told that she was probably a fall baby but I thing she was younger. Since we have had her she has doubled in size and weight .

She has become our little furry daughter and we both cherish her. When she arrived she was having light seizures that progressively got much worse. We followed all the instruction on the board but nothing worked except vitamin D and that scared the heck out of me. I read about the internal bleeding, ect that it can cause after even short term use. I learned that it builds up in their little systems and don't excrete it like humans do.

The seizures were getting worse and worse. Plus they were happening numerous times a day. Since I had tried all the recommendations here I called in the big guns...the vet. She put her immediately on phenobarbital 20 ML x 2 a day. It knocked her out. So we dropped it to 10ML....still had seizures. Then up to 15 ML and that was perfect. Although I hate she has to take meds I love that the seizures have 100% ended. Not even little ones. She also wants her to take calcium and Vit D DAILY. I have not done that. I put her under a UVA/UVB light almost every nite for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Her diet consists of 1 nut a day (pecan, almond or hazelnut). She refuses to take them out of the shell. throws them on the
    floor. She gets a apple or pear or other approved fruit cut in half that she nibbles on....then her bowl of fresh veggies. And 1-2 Henry Picky Eater blocks. Oh and she isnt completely weaned yet. She still drinks her Esbilac mixed with whipping cream and water. She drinks between about 5MLs and 20 MLs a day depending on her mood. She especially likes it right before she lays down for her nap or bedtime with her bankie. She still sleeps in our bed because she did when she was having seizures and now she likes to be rubbed to sleep!!

She still wont climb up anything. She jumps on the couch and lays on the back of it. Its HER!!! couch!!! and she lets strangers know. She is not caged at all. She has her own room and a 6' cat tree with apple limbs and bark attached. Has deer antlers and mineral blocks and calcium blade (like birds have). Lastly, she has the rat blocks to hide everywhere and keep teeth down to 3/4" on bottom and shorter on top.

She seems to be thriving but I'm concerned about MBD. Is she getting enough calcium and vit D in her diet? She shows no signs of MBD I just want to make sure. That's our story. We are blessed to have our baby in our lives. She's a hoot to watch play with her stuffed animals and she loves to play with us too and roll around her blanket and even drag it around with her. The other day she stole a piece of longe pasta and went running thru the house with it dragging between he paws and past her tail. She our little rotten girl and we adore her and we think she kinda likes us too....lol...

Thank you for your past help and I look forward to your answers. oh btw---she weighs 320 grams at last weigh in. Her hair is thick and soft and her tail is gorgeous and fluffy. We want her to live a very long and happy life with us. Please let me know if we are doing anything wrong, ect.

Default Re: ????Calcium, Vitamin D, MBD, ect

I would say that if she is still eating Esbilac regularly along with 2 Henry's block each day, she should be getting enough calcium and Vitamin D.

Having said that, problems with calcium and MBD can be created by feeding too many unhealthy foods (like nuts) that actually deplete calcium... so what may normally be an adequate amount of calcium becomes insufficient if the squirrel is eating a lot of foods that rob them of calcium.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.