Thread: Metabolism Changes with the Season?

Default Metabolism Changes with the Season?

Abbi is almost 2. She has a healthy diet of Henry's block in the morning and various veggies/fruits for supper with 1-2 nut treats a day. Around Thanksgiving last year, she stopped eating most of her veggies, lost her summer coat and gained her winter one, and became much less active (and gained quite a bit of weight, she was a little chunk). As soon as spring rolled around, she lost the weight within a week, lost her winter coat, became very active and regained her usual appetite.
    Within the last week, she's lost interest in most of her veggies again. She doesn't appear to be losing weight (I haven't weighed her though...), she's still quite active right now, and she eats her block like she normally does.
    I was just wondering if anyone else had a squirrel with similar tendencies in appetite change as seasons change?

Default Re: Metabolism Changes with the Season?

My male does pretty much the same thing, though he goes through various periods throughout the year of hating his veggies so I don't know if he's a good example

Default Re: Metabolism Changes with the Season?

At least she's not the only one lol Throughout the year, she'll occasionally get tired of eating certain veggies so I'll switch it up for a while and then switch back, but this time of year it's just like she completely shuts down in regard to a lot of foods. Last night, I even gave her another serving of Henry's block because she hadn't touched the veggies in her cage in two days (and had barely touched the other veggies throughout the week) and I just wanted to make sure she ate something. Not that she's starving...it's just in my nature as a mama to feed my babies lol