Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poison? West Nile? No, Paralyzed in Hind Legs

Default Re: Poison? West Nile?

Quote Originally Posted by missPixy View Post
    My vet appointment went well! During the pressure response test, her tail AND her legs twitched and moved!!! my vet showed me how to express her bladder... It was quite full. I was given liquid prednisone mixed into amoxicillin for 2x/day dosing.

I've named her Shelly. I have another appt with my vet at 2 today, I'm not sure if she's going to try any imaging. But there was no more talk of euthanization.

I was told for the first 10 days to not attempt any manipulation or massage, to let her body heal itself. After 10 days she said we can begin physical therapy.

Right now I have Shelly in a medium size dog crate filled with a Mexican blanket and fleece. I also have a chicken coop available, and a larger tall cage about 8ft high and 3ft wide.

Attachment 265306

Attachment 265307

Attachment 265308

Attachment 265309

Attachment 265310

Thank you for taking the time with little Shelly and giving her a chance.
    She is SO adorable, and one lucky little squirrel to have found her way to you!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by missPixy View Post
    This is so encouraging! have you created topics for these squirrels that I can read/review the steps/housing/etc? "best practices" so to speak.

You mentioned your #3 not leaving until spring, that is a good point~~ I am probably looking at a spring release myself. I live in southeastern New England. and this little, from the looks of her, is a spring baby who hasn't ever seen a winter yet.
    I have not created threads for them...well, actually just yesterday did I share Sadie's story here on TSB. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ways-Sadie-%29 (because of this thread and you...I wanted you to be able to see the success Sadie had, but not clog up your thread with Sadie's story)

I didn't go much into steps of what I did and how I did it, her story was more like a "Cliff Notes" version. Honestly, I allowed Sadie to guide me. If I saw she wasn't moving her arm, I did things to make her move it. She would only turn her head to the left, so I did armage scritchies on the left which made her turn her head to the right. When she wasn't doing something (moving her arm) I figured out a way to make her move it or I moved it for her. When she started standing on her feet I'd curl her tail up over her back...showing her where it was supposed to be. I use big sterilite bins for my rehabs. Upon intake she was in a small bin...I wanted to keep her confined and not move that much, then when the meds (Prednisone) started working and I wanted her to move I placed her in a big bin. When she graduated from that she went to the juvie squirrel cage, then she moved to the release cage, then to the trees.

Allow Shelly to tell you what she needs. She's not going to sit up and start talking to you, but if you watch her she will tell you. I spent HOURS upon HOURS just watching Sadie. No touching, no talking, just watching. They will tell you...you just have to listen for it.

Food/treats (small bits) are great incentives for them....makes them start walking in a forward motion like a freaking charm.

Working with these special ones is tough, but the rewards are HUGE. It takes patience and many many baby steps. When Shelly masters a new skill, make it a little harder, then when she masters that, make it even harder, and keep doing it. Eventually she'll be doing the skills all squirrels do.

The biggest things, and I think Gayle (SammysMom) will agree....watch her and allow her to guide you and think outside of the box (get creative).

I wish you and Shelly the very best!!

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

missPixy (11-03-2015), Rocky1 (11-03-2015)

so my vet told me yesterday, "express her bladder before you come in." I'd done it in the a.m. so when I did it again at 1:30, there were only a few squirts/drops.

at the vet, she asked if I'd expressed Shelly and I told her yes, I only got a few drops.

so then my vet proceeds to express Shelly's bladder and it was like turning on a faucet. she told me this is why she had me come in, she wants me to get the hang of how to express Shelly's bladder properly because in her opinion, this is the biggest threat to Shelly's recovery right now: getting kidney damage because her bladder isn't expressed thoroughly/frequently enough. my vet is not charging me for these visits to practice bladder expression!

I have another appointment today at 7:15, again to check her bladder. this morning I expressed Shelly's bladder and I seemed to be better with it. Shelly was grumpy about having this done first thing, can't say I blame her!

for those of you who've had to do this: how many times a day would you recommend? my vet said around every 5 hours, but not to worry about doing it overnight while she's asleep. I work about 20-25 minutes from home so theoretically I can go home on my lunch hour to express her again if you all think it's advisable. so I would be doing it morning before I go to work, at 1:30ish and then around 6-7 at night.

she is eating somewhat. I have ordered the Henry's picky blocks and the "over 4 weeks" FV to start giving her. right now she is having honey water (which she really seems to like,) almonds, broccoli, apple, kale, sugar snap peas, last night also some small pieces of avocado. she seems to like the apple and almonds most, has picked at everything else. to my surprise she didn't try any of the avocado.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

an update on Shelly.

wednesday night was another vet visit to check my bladder expressing skills. I was relieved to see I am getting the hang of it. also, while my vet was checking her bladder, Shelly kicked one of her feet. it gives me such hope!

on the list of concerns I have post-vet (and plan to raise Saturday afternoon for the next visit) is that I'm seeing Shelly do the gaping breathing after each time I express her bladder. it makes me wonder if she sustained some injury to ribs, and when I hold her I somehow am causing her breathing difficulties? even when I release her, she doesn't stop breathing like this right away. it takes a few minutes for her to breathe normally.

so this morning I created a mound of her bedding, wrapped some fleece around her shoulders and leaned her back against the bedding so I didn't actually hold her when I expressed her bladder. she didn't gape-breathe when I used this technique.

the other thing is that she is eating less. she is taking the honey water from me every day. however she is barely eating now, and that concerns me because of the prednisone and that she should have it with food. could it be upsetting her stomach? she is still nibbling on some apple, but even ignoring almonds. I have FV formula and Picky Blocks coming in hopefully by tomorrow.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

That is great news that Shelly kicked her foot, I will be praying and hoping for her !!!!

I would have expected the vet to have done some x-rays during the first visit that would show anything like fractured ribs. If that was not done, I would consider having that done on the Saturday visit. It certainly seems something is amiss based upon the varying reactions to the different ways you have expressed and the x-rays should provide some insight.

The lack of eating is of concern, and I have a "gang" here which are the first experience for me where they show little interest in avocado... Not being an avocado fan myself, I figure its a problem with this crop of avocado and the squees know the difference between good and bad avocados better then I (as an avowed non-fan of the slimy green things)! I would continue to experiment with other foods so she is eating more, and while on the pred.

Hopefully others will also chime in here...

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rocky1 (11-06-2015)

Good post Spanky!
    One other small thing that I would recommend.
    If she is having tummy issues, get a probiotic capsule .
    I use CVS brand myself. Pull them apart and give a little
    ~ the size of 1/4-1/2 of an eraser head on the top of a pencil.
    You can mix this in formula or anyting she takes by mouth.
    I has a tiny bit of a sweet taste, so it should be taken easily.
    They are really good for tummy issues, and hopefully this will help
    your little one.

Try some baby food from a syringe if you have to, just keep trying
    this little one needs nutrition and calories.
    Have you tried Pecan flavored ensure?
    That seems to be a big hit around here.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

missPixy (11-12-2015)

Thankfully Shelly loves the Henry's picky formula blocks! She eats 3 now 2x/day. I supplement with Apple which she is eating again along with various greens and an almond. She doesn't eat much of the greens so far.

HATES the formula she practically flung the syringe back at me. But she still wants the water and honey mix so I'm keeping her hydrated that way.

She has an X-ray appt for Tuesday. My vet was definitely concerned about the breathing problem and wondered if there could be an injury to the diaphragm. Shelly again showed movement in both legs and her tail when prompted via pressure. Yet my vet seems to not be all that optimistic about her recovery of full mobility for some reason... I am not in agreement with this. I think she just needs more time and some physical therapy.

Her behavior is consistent. When I open her carrier she tries to get away by burrowing deeper into the bedding/blankets. I have to gently wrap a small fleece towel around her shoulders to get her into position to express her bladder. While she's drinking the honey water she does the grr/purr sound and lets me gently massage her head and sides. But once she's done she out of there!

I suppose as a wild approx 8 months old this is normal. She doesn't try to bite or act vicious, she just wants to be left alone. But I think in the coming week I should change out her housing for a bigger bin so there room to move and a separate area for the nesting blanket. I will research other threads here on TSB to see some setups.

So here's the update for Shelly post-Xray: my vet says nothing is broken. So this may be a case of some injury to the spinal cord? my vet thought this was the most likely scenario. Shelly is still on the prednisone.

Has anyone here ever dealt with a squirrel in the wild who came down with MBD? She is on the Henry's Picky Formula blocks which she seems to love... If it were MBD would these help restore her movement?

There has been some improvement: she is peeing on her own now alone in the carrier, and only requires me to now gently stimulate her to get her to pee herself... No need to manually express her bladder. She also flicks her tail while she's peeing, and has become more active inside her carrier.

This is terrific news, Pixie! Improvement is always good to hear. As for MBD in the wild, it does not seem to happen. My only thought is that it is far more likely an injury from falling.
    Keep up the awesome work squammy!!!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

missPixy (11-11-2015)

Just finished reading the entire thread. Fingers crossed for Shelley. She is so lucky to have found you.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Curlyqsis from:

missPixy (11-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyqsis View Post
    Just finished reading the entire thread. Fingers crossed for Shelley. She is so lucky to have found you.
    Thank you! It's a challenge for me as I've never had to care for an injured juvenile like this before, especially such a debilitating injury. But I'm trying to learn every day, TSB definitely is full of experience and stories to research!

Shelly started chewing the dog carrier and was able to squeak out yesterday morning! I guess she's feeling better! She dragged herself into the kitchen next to the refrigerator.

So it's time for a new house. I may have to spring for a 1-level ferret home, I only have chicken coops and then tall cages for non-disabled squirrels. In the meantime I have her in a 1-level guinea pig house but that won't last too long because she started chewing at the plastic base last night.

I've given her some branches from outside so she has gnawing opportunities, and she has chewed at them too. She seems to like to either hang with her legs dangling or else lay stretched out. She never curls around herself the way you see a healthy squirrel sleep.

Seems to still be peeing on her own, but I gave her a manual bladder express just to be sure. Only a couple of squirts came out.

Also noticed when she was asleep, dangling from a fleece pajama hammock, one of her legs KEPT LIFTING!

One thing that continues to concern me is that she keeps gaping when she gets frightened. Is this something wild adult squirrels do when they're terrified? She has a quick blast of energy, then after a minute she stops and gapes for breath. This gaping can go on for a minute or more.

If this isn't normal behavior for a scared wild squirrel, I'm wondering what this could be? When I first mentioned it to my vet, she thought it could be the diaphragm so she looked at it when she did the xray this past Tuesday. She said her diaphragm looked fine and she saw nothing broken. I just don't like the gaping, doesn't seem right. And, I don't know if it's my imagination but her chest seemed a bit puffy? Full? To me today. I'll try to get a picture of it later.

Sorry for the long gap in any updates. It's been a month since I found Shelly and, although her progress has been in baby steps I am still very optimistic that she'll regain mobility again.

In my last update, Shelly was finally peeing on her own. Her little tummy was all soiled from the urine, so for the next couple of days I towel-dried her wet area and spot-cleaned with very diluted Dawn dish cleaner. And then: Day 3, she was able to clean herself! Which means more mobility, more awareness of her body.

She is currently moving her tail in response to my voice, and it also looks more fluffed than it had. Her left leg shows more autonomous little movements than the right in that it will twitch just a little when her tail reacts to my voice.

Still on a prednisone regimen that's currently getting diluted down by the week.

Maybe what makes me happiest is that she seems less depressed than she originally did. Moved her into a Ferret Nation 1-level last week, and this has given me the opportunity to add more squirrel things: bakeware casserole filled with sod and grass for hiding nuts. Old piece of tree branch with bark ripe for chewing off. Pinecones that smell like outside.

She's also less fearful and doesn't automatically hide under the fleece when she sees me. I'm so glad her mood has improved because I think this will help her make more progress.

Thankfully she loves the Henry's Blocks Picky Formula. Sort of fussy otherwise~~ meh on mushrooms, sugar snap peas, butternut squash. Most reliably eats zucchini and apple along with the blocks. HATES Brussels sprouts, tomato, radish with leaves, broccoli, kale. The search continues.

some shots of Shelly:

feisty in her Weeks 2 and 3 house:

nearly 3 weeks ago, see the swelling above/just behind her shoulders? it seems to be going down now, but the vet told me nothing showed up in the xray:

new home:

she used to hide under the fleece:

not so afraid anymore!

She looks fantastic!!! Wonderful job!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

missPixy (12-02-2015)

Awww she is adorable and one lucky girl to be in such good care

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

missPixy (12-02-2015)

What a great update.
    Yeah I saw that swelling. I wonder what that's from?
    Hmmmmmmmmmm and the vet wasn't concerned, right?

She's beautiful. You did such a fantastic job on your little darling!

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

missPixy (12-01-2015)

You have many of TSB's finest helping you here so I've just been lurking. But, had to come in and say that the swelling on her shoulders/upper back reminds me a great deal of my Krista who actually had a compression fracture of the upper spine. When I saw her xray I could not really tell anything was wrong until my vet -- who is very knowledgeable of squirrels, unlike most vets -- showed me where the spine had separated, then the broken pieces were parallel like train tracks. Krista was also paralyzed in her back end but did gain some mobility over the year that I had her.

You can't fix a compression fracture, but you can do gentle physical therapy with her to help her be as good as she can be. She is beautiful, and you've done a great job with her so far!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

missPixy (12-01-2015)

Shelly's mood continues to improve. I work from home on Mondays so was able to see her in action. Apart from this branch I supplied her, she's also rolling around playing with her stuffed toys and even pulled herself up to the bars on the "ceiling" of this habitat, pulling herself from bar to bar like a monkey! and... during this, her left leg didn't hang down completely straight, there was a curve in her thigh as at least her left leg tried to do what it was supposed to do!

https://youtu.be/PXlwxrqF0aU

I also wondered if this thread should be moved to Non-Emergency, and possibly change the Title for anybody searching for info re: paralyzed squirrels?

Default Re: Poison? West Nile? No. Paralyzed back legs

It's been a while since I've updated everyone on Shelly, but she continues to make progress slowly but regularly.

I've now seen her move both legs as though "bicycling" or swimming. this is when she's hanging from a ledge or other surface. she still isn't putting her weight on her back legs, but a couple of weeks ago she stretched after a nap and her bum went up in the air! that was the only time I've seen something like that.

Her left leg clearly has more reflexes than her right. We bought her a cat tree for Valentine's Day and she adores it~~ also seems to help her with physical therapy as it triggers her brain to send "lift!" signals to her legs. here's a video of her playing with me (another recent development!) notice at about the .2sec mark, her right foot moves forward.

https://youtu.be/2GvWxxicqE0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast