Thread: Blocks? Confused....

Question Blocks? Confused....

I need some clarification on feeding Henry Block. I read a few days ago that captive squirrel should only have 2 Henry Block as it is a supplement only. I guess I misunderstood this in my reading and have fed 3-4 daily and planned on Henry block as my solid "staple". My Dibs is only 8 weeks, 212gr, and most of the block just gets shredded, but I'm confused. What type of "block" should be fed besides the 2 Henry Block? What is a quality product? He is just beginning to eat veggies, lettuces, etc daily. He does not drink water yet.

Default Re: Blocks? Confused....

Hi,

The HHB are the basic cornerstone of a good, healthy diet. The HHB do contain vitamins and therefore just two per day are what is recommended. In ADDITION to the daily 2 HHBs, squirrels should get some daily fresh veggies as well. You can see what is recommended here:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Of course you can give the occasional nut and fruit as a treat.

Some times, it takes some time for a squirrel to start eating the HHBs especially if they are used to tasty "junk" food like nuts. You can try tough love which means to reduce other things and focus on the HHBs. He might hold out for a few days but he will eventually start to eat all his HHBs. At the point, you can continue to give give him his daily 2 HHBs as well as other stuff from the food chart linked above!

Quote Originally Posted by Mennome View Post
    I need some clarification on feeding Henry Block. I read a few days ago that captive squirrel should only have 2 Henry Block as it is a supplement only. I guess I misunderstood this in my reading and have fed 3-4 daily and planned on Henry block as my solid "staple". My Dibs is only 8 weeks, 212gr, and most of the block just gets shredded, but I'm confused. What type of "block" should be fed besides the 2 Henry Block? What is a quality product? He is just beginning to eat veggies, lettuces, etc daily. He does not drink water yet.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

FergieBoo (08-26-2020), Mennome (10-20-2015)

Besides the 2 HHB's, you should alway have a dish of Rat blocks in their cage for them to nibble on.
    Personally, I use the brand "Oxbow". They make juvenile blocks and an adult formula, that aren't really block shaped, but more of a little triangle shape. This is a good high quality feed fir them.

I also use Harlan Tecklan blocks. I akways have a small dish that has both kinds in with them.

I give their HHB right before they get their plate of veggies. If you start them out right, it becomes habit fir them to be healthy eaters. Since mine were little, I would tell them, "No food until you eat your biscuit!" ( ha ha we live down south)

I would also tell them, " You can't come out until you eat your biscuit!"

Apparently it worked, because now, if I put their "biscuit" on their plate of veggies, they will actually snatch it up and eat it first!

So, start those healthy eating habits early. It really pays off. They are smart, and they learn quickly. Stand your ground, and don't give in.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to czarina from:

Mennome (10-20-2015)

Dibs doesn't get junk food. We started HB before anything besides his FV. He now eats small amounts veggies and has learned that he gets his "special" when he goes into his cage for the last time at night. His special is 2-3 tiny pieces of either chopped almond, walnut, or pecan. They are those small chopped nut pieces....not even 1/4 of a whole nut. Today he got a slice of banana after he ate Brussels sprout and HB. I am really trying! He goes for the HB when I put it in.....No other options. I just didn't realize I should offer a type of other feed block. I will look at those listed.

Thank you both very much.

Mennome,
    The Henry's Blocks provide all the minerals and vitamins that Dibs needs for the day when fed with a healthy diet. We can't reproduce a natural diet that squirrels get from their native foods. The blocks have concentrated nutrients. We could feed veggies all day long and not fulfill their dietary needs. Whereas the Henry's blocks are concentrated, the 'other' rodent blocks could be classified as fortified or enriched.

If they ate the concentrated blocks free choice, it is possible that they could be receiving too much of a good thing. Remember, over supplementing is not good either. They can have all the 'other' blocks they want without a risk of over supplementing. I'll warn you now that MANY squirrels will not eat the 'other' blocks especially after eating the Henry's block. The Henry's blocks are made with pecans and are usually well received if they start off on them. My bet is the Dibs will turn up his nose at the other blocks. That's fine, don't worry, because he's getting everything he needs if he is on the healthy diet and eating his Henry's blocks.

It sounds like he is and everything is good. If he has a super healthy appetite he might actually eat the other blocks as well.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mennome (10-20-2015)

Ok, so I don't have to feed other blocks, unless....I want to give him something else. I would prefer to stay with HHB, VEGGIES, and wild food when available....although winter is coming. He is also chewing cleaned oak and maple branches/leaves, Rosehip, clover, herbs, deer antler. I think I will stay the course unless I just can't keep enough veggies for him from the recommended lists.

Here is what my little stinker, Skiddil, does. She gets her two HHBs early in the day, which she usually shreds and throws all over the dang place. But then she goes around picking up and eating all of the crumbs she made the first time around. It's kind of funny and a bit annoying, but since she is actually eating them, I will let her continue in her "Skiddil" fashion. I also offer the Harlan Teklad blocks. She has a hanging coconut bird toy in her cage, and every evening I just put a small handful in there to last for the next 24 hours. Skiddil, being the smart girl that she is, and obviously knowing how to tell time even in a home setting with artificial lighting, has taken to nibbling on her HT blocks at exactly one of two times during the day. 1. Immediately after I have vacuumed her cage and made it crumb free...I guess she just likes it crumby? 2. About 15 minutes before it is time to get her veggie bowl. So she likes a messy house, and to spoil her appetite! I said she was a stinker...but a cute one she is!
    My etsy store is empty at the moment, but if you have seen my pieces and have a request, just let me know!

Visit my Etsy store, ScarletSquirrel to see my handmade jewelry!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScarletSquirrel

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,

Everywhere I turn I can see them...

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,
    Night and day I eat, sleep and breathe them...

Someday I'll land in the Nut House,
    With all the Nuts and the Squirrels...

Wait...too late.
    Welcome to the Nut House!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SugarBugFerret from:

Mennome (10-22-2015)