Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Near) Des Moines Iowa Rehabber needed Injured squirrel -

tazzybear Guest

Exclamation (Near) Des Moines Iowa Rehabber needed Injured squirrel -

Someone left a juvenile injured squirrel on my deck last night. I did not get home until after 8 so I got him warm and rehydrated and left him alone until this morning. Upon further investigation, he looks like he was either mauled by a cat or other animal, or hit by a car. He is bright eyed and doesn't appear to be in pain, however, his back legs are limp. He has a few scabs on his lower body that I cleaned up and put some antibiotic cream on and I am not sure what else to do for him. I live in a state where it is illegal to keep squirrels. A vet is not an option. Is there anyone out there that knows of a rehabber in the Des Moines area that could help?

Thanks for any advice or feed back

Default Re: Injured squirrel

for helping this little guy. Dark, warm, quiet. You can provide water and some veggies for now.

Can you post a picture for us?

In the mean time we'll ask an administrator to change the title to include the location; that will grab the attention of members near you that may be able to help.

I just realized you have been a member for a while. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Maybe from an old script you stopped taking after feeling better and did not finish? If not, check around with family and friends. A single tablet / capsule will usually provide a whole course of therapy for a squirrel. We'll need a weight to dose the antibiotic for you. Let us know if you find anything, and what you find including the name and strength so we can help dose.

If he was attacked by a cat antibiotics will be critical since cat saliva will cause a dangerous infection in a squirrel.

Thanks for trying to help him. Does he have any pain response to his feet being pinched? There may be some rehabbers located nearby that can help, hopefully someone here will post up a name!

Has he pooped or peed? If not, you will have to help express him, we can provide simple directions.

Do you have access to Cipro antibiotic? A single pill is all you need and is the standard for treating cat attacks. Prednisone is often used to attempt to relieve swelling that might be impacting nerves. Is he cooperative enough to run your hands gently down his spine to see if you feel any breaks or bulges?

If you can get any of these meds, we can help with specific dosing directions. In the mean time, keep him in a quiet, warm, darkish location.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

tazzybear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Thanks for trying to help him. Does he have any pain response to his feet being pinched? There may be some rehabbers located nearby that can help, hopefully someone here will post up a name!

Has he pooped or peed? If not, you will have to help express him, we can provide simple directions.

Do you have access to Cipro antibiotic? A single pill is all you need and is the standard for treating cat attacks. Prednisone is often used to attempt to relieve swelling that might be impacting nerves. Is he cooperative enough to run your hands gently down his spine to see if you feel any breaks or bulges?

If you can get any of these meds, we can help with specific dosing directions. In the mean time, keep him in a quiet, warm, darkish location.
    Okay, He has eaten Fox Valley this morning, I rehydrated last night with the homemade pedialyte. He has pooped and peed several times. He does have a bulge on his back . He does not appear to be in pain, not sure how? He has two little scrapes on each of his legs that I did put antibiotic on last night. I will look for prednisone and get a weight quick.

tazzybear Guest

I do have a 250mg Prednizone. He weighs .5 lb. What would the dosage be? I did insert a pic, hopeit comes out

tazzybear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tazzybear View Post
    I do have a 250mg Prednizone. He weighs .5 lb. What would the dosage be? I did insert a pic, hopeit comes out
    That was an error. I have 250 mg Clavox. Not sure if that can be substituted???

The picture did not show up, I will PM you my e-mail if you want me to post for you, send it to my e-mail.

This *may* help in posting pictures.

Edit: Forgot the link... adding it now!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...s-on-this-site

That was an error. I have 250 mg Clavox. Not sure if that can be substituted???
    Yes, WMB says Clavamox is effective against cat saliva bacteria.

I will PM dosing instructions using a 250mg tablet/capsule of Clavamox.

As Spanky said, the Clavaox should be effective for treating infection if this was a cat attack.

It is a good sign that he is both pooping and peeing. Any blood seen in his poop or pee?

If you can not find any steroid like prednisone, you could give him some infant ibuprofen instead. Get infant ibuprofen that is 50mg/1.25ml strength. You can give him 0.06cc of this every 4 hours (assuming he weighs about 0.5lb). It will help with any pain and also reduce inflammation.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Attached Images Attached Images  

tazzybear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    As Spanky said, the Clavaox should be effective for treating infection if this was a cat attack.

It is a good sign that he is both pooping and peeing. Any blood seen in his poop or pee?

If you can not find any steroid like prednisone, you could give him some infant ibuprofen instead. Get infant ibuprofen that is 50mg/1.25ml strength. You can give him 0.06cc of this every 4 hours (assuming he weighs about 0.5lb). It will help with any pain and also reduce inflammation.
    There was blood in his urine last night, not today. I did the pinch test on his two back feet and got nothing Poor sweet little guy.

Can you post up what area you are in? This way we can help find a rehabber who can help if you feel you need it?

There was blood in his urine last night, not today. I did the pinch test on his two back feet and got nothing Poor sweet little guy.

-Grateful Dead

I live in a state where it is illegal to keep squirrels. A vet is not an option. Is there anyone out there that knows of a rehabber in the Des Moines area that could help?
    I am going to send a message to admin to ask the thread title be updated to include this...

ChickenLegs might be able to help, I'll send a PM.

-Grateful Dead

TazzyBear - we are trying to get some contact info for you on a local Rehabber with vet access.

-Grateful Dead

Default Re: (Near) Des Moines Iowa Rehabber needed Injured squirrel -

Poor guy! I have prednisone but no license in this state. There ARE rehabbers in your area. Let me see if I can get something off the internet. Never know who will euthanize tho. Can you meet me somewhere halfway for the pred? I know there's nobody in Fairfield who can get vet help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Poor guy! I have prednisone but no license in this state. There ARE rehabbers in your area. Let me see if I can get something off the internet. Never know who will euthanize tho. Can you meet me somewhere halfway for the pred? I know there's nobody in Fairfield who can get vet help.
    Chickenlegs is a great rehabber!

-Grateful Dead

tazzybear Guest

I found a rehabber in Des Moines that is willing to take him. I am meeting them in one hour half way. I got her name from another Rehabber in the Des Moines area that said her specialty is squirrels. She believes that a hawk may have gotten him from the sounds of the injuries to him Please wish him luck. He is so innocent and sweet. Thank to all who have helped me today. I appreciate it more than you know!
    He hs had his antibiotic and is eating well. Lets hope and pray he makes it....

Thanks for helping him! Make sure that this rehabber will not just euthanize him because of his rear legs not working?

If you started the Ibuprofen, let the rehabber know because that should be stopped for a while before prednisone is started. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guy!

I found a rehabber in Des Moines that is willing to take him. I am meeting them in one hour half way. I got her name from another Rehabber in the Des Moines area that said her specialty is squirrels. She believes that a hawk may have gotten him from the sounds of the injuries to him Please wish him luck. He is so innocent and sweet. Thank to all who have helped me today. I appreciate it more than you know!
    He hs had his antibiotic and is eating well. Lets hope and pray he makes it....

-Grateful Dead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.