Thread: Ejected from the tree

Kemaste Guest

Default Ejected from the tree

I saw a squirrel in my back yard struggling to climb the tree! He looked very shaky and fell off twice before he was able to get to the branches. I looked back out later and saw it fighting with another squirrel and then it got ejected from the tree. It wandered around for a while then found a place to hide between the fence and some bricks. I thought it might have been terrified because my cat was in the tree but now I'm not so sure.

Is this squirrel sick or is this behaviour indicative of something else? I have dogs and cats and have only been letting them out one at a time. Should I try to catch the squirrel and put him in the front yard or ...? I have a cat fence and the cats can't get out and the only way this squirrel can get out is up the tree and out to the wires.

Can you advise me?

Thank you for your time,
    Kemaste

Default Re: Ejected from the tree

This squirrel sounds like either he is sick or has injuries from a fall. I would try to locate a wildlife rehabber to see if they will take it. In the mean time just keep all other animals away from him as much as you can. To locate a rehabber either look in the rehabber section on this forum or call around to the vets in your area to see if they have any rehabbers they can reccommend. If not you can also try the fish and game department. I would try to find one ASAP. Good luck!

Default Re: Ejected from the tree

i say catch that squirrel. catch it now. any squirrel that cannot climb a tree is in baaaaaad shape. it'll die for sure if it can't climb, that's a squirrel's best defense.

definitely call a rehabber, but if you can't find one, you'll have to catch it on your own until you do. if it helps, we have a link back on the main page called "Quick Links", and there's a link in there that lists wildlife rehabbers by state.

if you have thick leather gloves and a tight-knit net, then you can catch it. don't stress it out too much, though, cause they can die from stress. by that i mean don't jab wildly at it with a net unless you're pretty sure you'll catch it.
    but it should be pretty easy if the squirrel can't climb.

thanks for being concerned. not everyone is.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Members who have read this thread: 1