Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of some advice first time

Default Re: In need of some advice first time

Quote Originally Posted by Little girls mom View Post
    Hi Spanky, I was just wondering the reason for giving esbilac and fox valley together 50/50. I never used the esbilac but used goats milk yougurt and whipping cream like Leigh told me. Leigh from Henry's pets. Littl we girl was only on goats milk for a few days until I transitioned her over to fox valley 20 / 50 and she has been on this 100% since. I was just wondering if fox valley alone is enough. I mean just the formula part. I know they needs blocks and veggies and such. Thanks in advance.
    The Fox Valley alone is good if she is doing well with it, no need to change things. Fox Valley 32/40 is suspected to be contributing to the high mortality rate of pinkies and babies less than 5 weeks this spring and fall. So I think almost everyone is using Esbilac for pinkies and babies until eyes open (5 weeks) then they either are transitioning to Fox Valley 20/50 or to the half Esbilac and half FV 20/50. I had been seeing the half and held recommended quite a bit, so I started also using that mix and have been very happy with the results myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The Fox Valley alone is good if she is doing well with it, no need to change things. Fox Valley 32/40 is suspected to be contributing to the high mortality rate of pinkies and babies less than 5 weeks this spring and fall. So I think almost everyone is using Esbilac for pinkies and babies until eyes open (5 weeks) then they either are transitioning to Fox Valley 20/50 or to the half Esbilac and half FV 20/50. I had been seeing the half and held recommended quite a bit, so I started also using that mix and have been very happy with the results myself.

Thank you Spanky for explaining that. She is doing really well on just the fox valley 20 / 50. Is there a post on the board that tells what the average weight should be for different types of squirrels?

See post #5 that lists the generalities / average weights for eastern grey squirrels:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...average-weight

How old is your baby and what is her weight?

See post #5 that lists the generalities / average weights for eastern grey squirrels:

I would say she is 11 wks because I have had her for 1 mth and her eyes were already open wide and fur everywhere and fur on her tail. So I was guessing that she was 6-7wks when I first got her? She weighs 230grams and she has been taking 15ml each feeding and has Henry's blocks and I just started her on veggies. I know she could take more formula but the 15 ml is all she wants at the moment.

I would say she is 11 wks because I have had her for 1 mth and her eyes were already open wide and fur everywhere and fur on her tail. So I was guessing that she was 6-7wks when I first got her? She weighs 230grams and she has been taking 15ml each feeding and has Henry's blocks and I just started her on veggies. I know she could take more formula but the 15 ml is all she wants at the moment.
    @ Spanky, Little girl only weighed 66 grams when I found her.

The 15ml of formula is right int he ballpark. When you found her, how fluffy was her tail; Better yet, do you have any pictures of her from around the time you first found her?

I assume you are following the healthy diet since you are feeding HHB, but just in case:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

She seems a little under weight for 11 weeks, so a little extra fat may be a good thing. Avocado is a good source of good fat (only the "meat", no pits or skin as they are toxic). Full fat yogurt if she likes it (the Yobaby stuff is almost always a hit!).

Wow little girl is a true little girl! She is nowhere near the sizes on that chart! Could she have been the runt because her brother was bigger than her. Sadly I found him covered with ants already dead the morning after he and little were reunited in the tree out back. That's when I decided to bring her in because she kept hanging around because she was starved. Plus I have 9 cats and that alone is a death sentence for her.

@ Spanky, Little girl only weighed 66 grams when I found her.
    The 66 grams and eyes open would be fairly small and their eyes usually open around 5 weeks. Sometimes their eyes will open earlier if they have been through a traumatic ordeal. If we assume they were with mom up until a few days before they come across a loving, caring, human like yourself then they should be fairly normal in weight at the time. Of course as hard as we try we cannot do as good a job as mom raising them!

If you have had her a month (4 weeks) she could be as young as 9 weeks, even eight if eyes opened early. Can you post a picture?

Edit: There also has been a lot of very small babies this fall!!!!

The 15ml of formula is right int he ballpark. When you found her, how fluffy was her tail; Better yet, do you have any pictures of her from around the time you first found her?

I assume you are following the healthy diet since you are feeding HHB, but just in case:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

She seems a little under weight for 11 weeks, so a little extra fat may be a good thing. Avocado is a good source of good fat (only the "meat", no pits or skin as they are toxic). Full fat yogurt if she likes it (the Yobaby stuff is almost always a hit!).
    Her tail wasn't as fluffy as it is now but it was like she was just getting the fluff to her tail when I found her. I will try her on advacado and the yougurt you mentioned. I would love to post some pics but I am not that sure how on here.

Her tail wasn't as fluffy as it is now but it was like she was just getting the fluff to her tail when I found her. I will try her on advacado and the yougurt you mentioned. I would love to post some pics but I am not that sure how on here.
    I will send you a PM (Private Message) with an e-mail address.. if you send the pics to that e-mail, I will post them here in this thread.

I will send you a PM (Private Message) with an e-mail address.. if you send the pics to that e-mail, I will post them here in this thread.
    Hi Spanky, I sent you a few pics. Did you receive them?

Hi Spanky, I sent you a few pics. Did you receive them?
    Are these the pictures?

Edit: "The first 2 pics were sep 5th when we found her.
    Pics 3 and 4 are separated 25th
    Last 2 pics were Oct 1"
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Are these the pictures?

Edit: "The first 2 pics were sep 5th when we found her.
    Pics 3 and 4 are separated 25th
    Last 2 pics were Oct 1"
    Yes! I just resent some more because I got an email that said it was not sent! Grrrr

Hi Spanky, I was just wondering the reason for giving esbilac and fox valley together 50/50. I never used the esbilac but used goats milk yougurt and whipping cream like Leigh told me. Leigh from Henry's pets. Littl we girl was only on goats milk for a few days until I transitioned her over to fox valley 20 / 50 and she has been on this 100% since. I was just wondering if fox valley alone is enough. I mean just the formula part. I know they needs blocks and veggies and such. Thanks in advance.
    Yes! I just resent some more because I got an email that said it was not sent! Grrrr
    @ Spanky, can you tell by the pics how old she was or is now?

Hi Spanky, I just weighed little girl and she weighs 238 grams.

Picture 2 makes her look as if she were right around 5 weeks so that would put her right around 11 weeks. Maybe others will venture a guess on her age?

I would still recommend more fat in her diet.. add a bit of full-fat yogur to the formula, and offer come avocado a a couple times a day!

Edit: I forgot to mention you have a real problem I noticed when looking at the pictures: She is way too cute!!!!

Picture 2 makes her look as if she were right around 5 weeks so that would put her right around 11 weeks. Maybe others will venture a guess on her age?

I would still recommend more fat in her diet.. add a bit of full-fat yogur to the formula, and offer come avocado a a couple times a day!

Edit: I forgot to mention you have a real problem I noticed when looking at the pictures: She is way too cute!!!!
    Thank you Spanky for the kind words! She is a little cutie that's for sure! She is so sweet too! So I should just put some full fat yogurt in her formula? Plain yougurt? How much yougurt? I am mixing my formula daily. Right now I mix 2 tablespoons of fox valley powder with 4 tablespoons of water. How much would yougurt would you add to that? And what is Yobaby yougurt? Is it a plain yougurt? Do you recommend Yobaby or just any full fat yougurt? Another question: little girl sometimes late at night like right now is starting to make screech noises. She sometimes just does it once but just now she did it 4 times. Do they do this in their sleep? Because she is sleeping far as I know. I don't know if you saw my post in life threatening section yesterday but little girl fell on to a hard wood floor from about 5 ft. Scared me to death! I have been watching her since she fell and she seems to be acting normal and eating normal and is doing well. So if the 2nd pic was 5 wks that would make her 9wks? You said 11 wks. But you probably meant 9? Thank you so much for posting the pictures for me!

So I should just put some full fat yogurt in her formula? Plain yogurt? How much yogurt? I am mixing my formula daily. Right now I mix 2 tablespoons of fox valley powder with 4 tablespoons of water. How much would yogurt would you add to that? And what is Yobaby yogurt? Is it a plain yogurt? Do you recommend Yobaby or just any full fat yogurt?
    Yobaby is a brand made by Stonyfield. It is a full fat yogurt. CritterMom highly and alsways recommends the Yobaby brand, and whatever CM says is "golden" in my book. So that is what I now use... part of CM's recommendation is because the squirrels seem to like all the varies flavors; I have found this to be very true. It is also organic and has no added sugar.

(The real reason CM may recommend this is because it is the only brand of yogurt CM, an avowed yogurt hater, apparently likes herself! Or maybe she owns Stonyfield stock?!? )

Another question: little girl sometimes late at night like right now is starting to make screech noises. She sometimes just does it once but just now she did it 4 times. Do they do this in their sleep? Because she is sleeping far as I know. I don't know if you saw my post in life threatening section yesterday but little girl fell on to a hard wood floor from about 5 ft. Scared me to death! I have been watching her since she fell and she seems to be acting normal and eating normal and is doing well. So if the 2nd pic was 5 wks that would make her 9wks? You said 11 wks. But you probably meant 9? Thank you so much for posting the pictures for me!
    Those first two pictures, she appears to be about 6 - 7 weeks to me. They do have lots of dreams at this age, so hopefully what you are observing is squirrelly dreams. Continue to keep a close eye on her though as sometimes issues from a fall like that may not show up for quite a while.

Yobaby is a brand made by Stonyfield. It is a full fat yogurt. CritterMom highly and alsways recommends the Yobaby brand, and whatever CM says is "golden" in my book. So that is what I now use... part of CM's recommendation is because the squirrels seem to like all the varies flavors; I have found this to be very true. It is also organic and has no added sugar.

(The real reason CM may recommend this is because it is the only brand of yogurt CM, an avowed yogurt hater, apparently likes herself! Or maybe she owns Stonyfield stock?!? )

Those first two pictures, she appears to be about 6 - 7 weeks to me. They do have lots of dreams at this age, so hopefully what you are observing is squirrelly dreams. Continue to keep a close eye on her though as sometimes issues from a fall like that may not show up for quite a while.
    Thanks Spanky
    So you would say that little girl is 11 wks old? I was on Henry's pets placing an order and I noticed that they have something called ultra boost. It is for gaining extra weight. Do you think it would be fine to add this to little girls 20/50? And if I did the yougurt instead, do you recommend plain added to the formula or a flavored?
    Concerning her fall :
    She has been acting normal and eating normal and playing and jumping all over her cage and doing her oinks! That is the cutest sound! But she is doing fine and acting like nothing happened. But putting all that aside, do you know or have heard stories of squirrels falling and having problems later after their fall? If so, how much later? I just pray that she never has any problems from the fall. It scared me so bad. She just started jumping from one branch to another and she just didn't make it when she jumped. So I have Not let her run around outside of her cage since this happened on Monday. I just take her out to feed and put her back in her cage. I hate she doesn't have a empty room with some floor space to run. I have a room that is just a junk room that needs to be cleaned out anyways so I am thinking about letting that be her room. That way I can go in there and open her cage and she can roam her room some each day. What do you think? The small room she fell in is just a room with a sink and my husband cut down some small oak trees and screwed them to the wall and also joined them together so she could get from one to the other and would get some exercise. This is also the room I take her in to feed so if she gets loose she is closed in that room. One more thing I am wanting to know:
    Little girl has not been outside since I brought her inside. Do they need sunshine to be healthy? I know NOT to put them in full sun. I have read horror stories of this and I would never do that! Sorry this is so long! Again, thank you so much for helping me and posting my pics!

Fox Valley also makes a product called Ultraboost, which helps babies grow and put on weight. You add it to their formula.

Also, there is a product available from Chris' that I have had very good results from. It is an amino acid, called Pure L-Glutamine. You add this to their formula. The bottle says, " just a pinch to gtow an inch ".

But, you have already gotten excellent advice here. And I would follow it first. The added cream and yogurt will definitely help, along with the fats in the avacado. So, that is where I would start.

And, most importantly, always transition very slowly when altering ANYTHING in their diets. Prevent tummy upsets. Add changes VERY slowly, over several days. To make sure they are tolerating it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast