Thread: Peanut Needs a Little Nutrition Help

Default Peanut Needs a Little Nutrition Help

Greetings!

Again, I am not a rehabber, just a regular citizen doing my best to keep little Peanut alive and happy until he can be released. We've done some things incorrectly and we recognize that, so we are trying to get it right. I'd like to explain what we have done and what we are trying to do now (it will be long, so please bear with me). Any advice/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Okay, so we picked this little guy up off the road and prevented him from becoming road kill. We got him warm, we got him rehydrated, we got him fed (not all in the right order, but at least we didn't kill him). We called a rehabber; they didn't want him. We searched the internet and got him the Esbilac (liquid to start, then switched to powder). We got a small birdcage to hold him instead of the box we first put him in. Based on our research, we figured he was about 5 weeks old when we found him as his eyes were open, but he was still very small.

Knowing that our intent was to release him when the time came, we have limited our contact with him. We have not done a lot of "cuddling" (though we do our share of touching and petting) in an effort to keep him as wild as possible. We have also kept him in a back room, isolated from us and from the dogs (we do leave a TV on). We enter his room a few times a day to feed him and/or care for him. Is this wrong? Should I continue to limit our contact or should we do more? Should we “play” with him? How long? How often? Should I let him out of his cage to roam the room? (Oh, we built him a much larger cage … it is 4’x4’x2’.) Unfortunately, the cage isn’t portable, so I’ve ordered another one for outside. How often does he need to go outside? He gets very nervous when we put him out in the smaller birdcage and put him outside in the sun. I think he feels either confined or exposed or both.

As he aged over the last three/four weeks, we have tried to advance his diet accordingly (we did start early giving him the Kaytee rodent nuggets, which he does nibble). Well, we thought we were doing right by feeding him avocado (which he loves) and plums (from my tree). Trying to think of what he would find out of doors, I gave Peanut a variety of vegetables, fruit, and nuts. In addition to the avocado (which he will NOT find here), we have tried to feed him sweet potato, apples, plums, pears, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, snap peas, squash, pumpkin, brussel sprouts, walnuts, pecans, filberts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds (both shelled and unshelled). All are in raw form (nothing roasted or salted).

He was doing well eating the avocado and some of the nuts, even learning how to get the seed out of the unshelled sunflower. I also gave him a walnut from our yard (we have both English and Black walnut trees on our property). He learned to use the water bottle we put in his cage. He started taking in less formula at each feeding, so we reduced his formula feedings to twice a day, and even then he didn't take much. I think he lost weight, but I can’t be sure how reliable our gram scale is.

Well, based on what we have learned here, I've stopped feeding him the avocado, the fruit, and the nuts and returned to just formula and rodent blocks (I'm waiting for the HHB to arrive). Since he no longer gets the avocado, etc., he is now RAVENOUS for the formula. He is only barely touching the rodent blocks. The question is should I continue to practice the “tough love” with regard to Peanut’s diet? Obviously I feel bad because he is so hungry and he is relying on us to feed him. Today, after feeding him around 15 ml of formula (yes!) he did still nibble on a rodent block. So, do I continue to feed him as much formula as he wants and how often? Do I continue to give him vegetables from groups 1 and 2 and when? If he is going to be a wild squirrel, shouldn’t he learn to eat what is available in the wild (like the walnuts from my tree)?

So many questions, so little time. I’ll ask about the releasing process at another time.

Thanks in advance!

Peanuts’ Mom

Default Re: Peanut Needs a Little Nutrition Help

I'll let the baby experts answer some of your questions but I can offer some general advice. At this point, he will probably need to be overwintered and released in the spring. You can not release him in the winter, he almost certainly would not survive. In the spring, you can do a proper soft release and maximize his chances for a successful release.

In terms of transitioning from formula to solid food, it is often recommended here that you continue to offer formula and let them self-wean off it as they become more comfortable with solids. The gold standard block is made by Henries:

http://www.henryspets.com/hi-protein-blocks/

and also:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-b...adult-formula/

A bag will last for almost a month, I strongly suggest you order some!

Reduce the nuts, they are really just treats. Most of the veggies that you mentioned are fine. Be very careful with avocado, the pits and skin are toxic but the meat is a tasty treat and good for building weight.

There is not much reason to place him outside right now, it might just confuse him. I would keep him indoors with additional out of cage time in the room he lives in. The soft release process done in the spring will be him introduction to the outside world and will give him time to get used to the sights and sounds of the real world. Some interaction with him is fine but keep him away from all pets. A squirrel that is comfortable around cats or dogs is not a good candidate for release.

Thank you for rescuing this little fellow! You have done a great job so far!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I would definately interact more with him...snuggle and cuddle and play for two reasons.....pure joy, yours and his, and it will make handling him all winter easier and keep him from going stir crazy. The soft release in the spring will give him time to wild up before release. Another squirrel to play with would be his best option, but he needs stimulation regardless. So play with him and give him lots of out of cage time. Keeping other pets away from him is good though.
    I would still keep most of the nuts out of his diet. He should still have formula for as long as he wants it . Then he should get block, then vegies. Then treats. When he eats all those well you can give him other safe things from outside like grass, dandelions, pine cones, rose hips, and others...especially in the spring when he gets close to going outside to start his slow release.
    Julia

Quote Originally Posted by PuddyRat View Post
    How often does he need to go outside? He gets very nervous when we put him out in the smaller birdcage and put him outside in the sun.
    If you do take him outside, he should not be put / left in direct sun light. Squirrels can easily suffer heat stroke so he should always have access to a place out of the sun if he does go outside!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...heat-in-Summer!

Thank you, TubeDriver and GardenJewel. We have figured we will need to overwinter him. Washington state may not be overly cold, but he certainly wouldn't have time to establish himself.

So, how do you "play" with a squirrel. He gets all nutso sometimes, jumping up, turning around, in little quick movements. He reaches for my hands and wants to bite (or nibble) on my fingers (I don't let him). Are there recommended toys (I've ordered the little boa from henry's)?

Well, darn -- off to work for me. More later tonight. Thanks again to all for your help and advice.

I like the stuffed dog toys they have at walmart. no eyes to bite off and eat and cheap.....and then you kind of wrestle!!! Also a light garden glove will protect you from the fun play bites. I also play chase when they get more mobile...but you have to be careful if the squirrel is on the floor. They tend to make random quick directional changes and could be easy to step on. Pretending to be a trees funtoo.Then there is always the underarmage rubbins!
    Julia

These babies (even adults) love to play and wrestle with stuffies...
    When purchasing stuff toys for your squee squish them around making sure there
    are no "beads" inside and avoid plastic eyes or remove and stitch them before giving.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

At this age, my squirrels LOVE little round stuffies that they can climb on and roll.
    Here's a link to some on ebay.
    Typically I try to get ones that are the roundest with not "too many" appendages.
    The 5 inch size is great.
    I got 8 of these and the little ones have a ball on them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angry-Birds-...item2eda5146f6