Thread: Possible blood in urine?

Default Possible blood in urine?

Name:  received_10207378906968034.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  54.6 KBName:  received_10207378899007835.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  77.8 KB

I have a baby squirrel that fell from a tree. It was cold, seems dehydrated and thin. It has been sleeping Most of the time since found.

After warming the baby we mixed unflavored pedialyte with water and have been giving him dropperfuls. At first he wanted to drink about every fifteen minutes and took two to three dropperfuls but gradually slowed down to one or two dropperfuls every hour or two. Have not attempted food yet.

We were helping the baby urinate and it came out a bright pink as if there was blood in the urine. My local vet won't see him. He crawls fairly well and has a decent perhaps a slightly weak grip but considering how thin he is I think he is doing alright. With the exception of the pink urine he just seems to be a hungry orphan.

Stool is a camel/light tan brown and solid. There is no blood in his ears or nose. I'm not certain what other information will help? Are there any suggestions as to what can be done? What to look for? Any help is appreciated.Name:  received_10207378899007835.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  77.8 KB

Default Re: Possible blood in urine?

I should also mention that I have a 2 year old gray squirrel that is a non release. They are being kept separate. But I want to know of anything I should watch out for to ensure if the baby is sick with anything my little guy doesn't catch it. I would be devastated to lose him so I want to keep him as safe as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ellymay View Post

I have a baby squirrel that fell from a tree. It was cold, seems dehydrated and thin. It has been sleeping Most of the time since found.

After warming the baby we mixed unflavored pedialyte with water and have been giving him dropperfuls. At first he wanted to drink about every fifteen minutes and took two to three dropperfuls but gradually slowed down to one or two dropperfuls every hour or two. Have not attempted food yet.

We were helping the baby urinate and it came out a bright pink as if there was blood in the urine. My local vet won't see him. He crawls fairly well and has a decent perhaps a slightly weak grip but considering how thin he is I think he is doing alright. With the exception of the pink urine he just seems to be a hungry orphan.

Stool is a camel/light tan brown and solid. There is no blood in his ears or nose. I'm not certain what other information will help? Are there any suggestions as to what can be done? What to look for? Any help is appreciated.
    Looks like you have a baby red...
    Do you have a syringe to feed this baby with?
    The blood in urine is probably from fall and should clear up with hydration.
    It's going to need formula soon, do you have that?
    Can you get a weight on baby? Girl or boy?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I can get a weight tomorrow but for now...its a boy!!!! :-) I don't have any formula as of right now. I have syringes and droppers and bottles. Are there any formulas that are having good results? I have heard horror stories of a lot of babies getting sores and being lost due to formulas this year...

I can get a weight tomorrow but for now...its a boy!!!! :-) I don't have any formula as of right now. I have syringes and droppers and bottles. Are there any formulas that are having good results? I have heard horror stories of a lot of babies getting sores and being lost due to formulas this year...
    No dropper, and especially no bottle! Too much risk of aspiration using a bottle. Baby should be fed with a 1cc syringe, preferably with a nipple. He needs to be eating between 5-7% of his body weight.
    The majority of problems this year has been with pinks, formula is always looked at but no definitive answers as to what is going on with them.
    Below is the formula being used, one needs to make sure it's the newer Esbilac formula that has the pre and pro biotics.
    It can either be identified by the top banner or the 3rd ingredient should read Whey protein concentrate.
    Some members are also purchasing the fox valley 20/50 and mixing the esbilac and FV 50/50

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Ok so the baby passed away this morning but another baby squirrel was found. This one is just as skinny and has marks as if he was bitten or has sores maybe? I do not personally have this baby so all i have are pictures. Same neighborhood where the baby i had was found. Here are two pictures. Please advise....Name:  received_10205882257232913.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  received_10205882257552921.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  42.8 KB

Here are the "basics". There are six pages total, there are "next" and "back" selections on the top of the page to navigate through. First, warm. Then hydrate.

http://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Any other information available? Like is he alert? Lethargic? etc.

Alert but very weak. They have him in a box with a heating pad half under the box and half off. They are giving him water with an oral syringe. They know to warm, then hydrate, then if the baby makes it to feed with esbilac puppy formula with prebiotics and probiotics. They said they also see where he has fleas. We have a list of rescues to call in the morning but for now this is what they're doing

Alert but very weak. They have him in a box with a heating pad half under the box and half off. They are giving him water with an oral syringe. They know to warm, then hydrate, then if the baby makes it to feed with esbilac puppy formula with prebiotics and probiotics. They said they also see where he has fleas. We have a list of rescues to call in the morning but for now this is what they're doing
    The baby needs to be warm before anything oral, including hydration!

His is warm to the touch. Sort of like...the warm spot in bed when you roll over if that makes sense. More than body temp but not sweat inducing.How long should he be warm for before they give water? Is that too warm? Too cold?

Instead of water, use this:
    Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Give it to the baby very warm. Do not give for more than 24 ours, after that you can remove the salt and continue hydrating between formula feedings if necessary.

Hydration is critical after warming her up, even if it is drop by drop.

This should help with the basics, there are a total of 6 pages using the next and back at the top:
    http://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Thank you! What do you think of the sore?

Thank you! What do you think of the sore?
    Can we have a close up picture of the sores?

I wish the title of this thread was about the sores because that would get more attention.

Those are the closest pictures I have. I don't have the baby with me personally. My friends do. He says it looks like the baby was bit or scratched. I have not seen it in person yet. :-(

Those are the closest pictures I have. I don't have the baby with me personally. My friends do. He says it looks like the baby was bit or scratched. I have not seen it in person yet. :-(
    If it was bit or scratched, rehabbers will probably recommend antibiotics such as Cipro, as an fyi. However, I am not qualified to give that advice. Stay tuned for the experts.

If it is a bite, especially a cat bite, the baby will require antibiotics as cat bites are deadly. Start figuring out what antibiotics you or your neighbors have on hand. You will need only one pill and usually folks have some leftover. Call family and friends if needed. Let us know what you may locate!!!

His is warm to the touch. Sort of like...the warm spot in bed when you roll over if that makes sense. More than body temp but not sweat inducing.How long should he be warm for before they give water? Is that too warm? Too cold?
    If the baby feels warm and flexible, not cool and rigid, then you can start the hydration. As I posted, I'd use the homemade pedialyte or even sugar water versus plain water at this point.

The pictures make him look very lethargic, which is concerning... the hydration should help and sugar should perk him up some.

Is his breathing labored at all?

Sorry for the rapid fire posts, but the wounds look like scratches for the most part, but it almost seems there is a puncture wound right in his armpit: Is that the case?