Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Squirrel sneezing and clicking

Post Fox Squirrel sneezing and clicking

The clicking isn't always there but the sneezing seems to be increasing. He weighs 70g. I have 500mg Cipro, 500mg Amoxicillin, and SMZ/TMP 800-160. I have other antibiotics but I believe these are the relevant ones. We have 1cc syringes and miracle nipples. He's a feisty eater and I didn't know he could suck the plunger down. I realized I should probably add that I took him to the vet when he first came to me and he was fine. I would happily take him to the vet again today but my Aunt just passed away so we have her funeral. I know it's early/very late I thought I heard another clicking during one of his night time feedings. I'll be back to check in in about 3 hours. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Default Re: Fox Squirrel sneezing and clicking

Quote Originally Posted by MissAmy View Post
    The clicking isn't always there but the sneezing seems to be increasing. He weighs 70g. I have 500mg Cipro, 500mg Amoxicillin, and SMZ/TMP 800-160. I have other antibiotics but I believe these are the relevant ones. We have 1cc syringes and miracle nipples. He's a feisty eater and I didn't know he could suck the plunger down. I realized I should probably add that I took him to the vet when he first came to me and he was fine. I would happily take him to the vet again today but my Aunt just passed away so we have her funeral. I know it's early/very late I thought I heard another clicking during one of his night time feedings. I'll be back to check in in about 3 hours. Thank you so much in advance for your help.
    Have you seen this little one aspirate?
    When feeding you have to try to hold the plunger back,
    so they don't take too much formula.
    Sometimes these babies make a lot of little noises,
    perhaps that's what you're hearing.
    Have you seen formula coming out of his nose.
    If this happens, tip him forward and wipe the nose.
    Some of us will even give their little nose, a quick/light inhale with
    our mouth to "suck" the formula out.
    Never feed a little one on his back, keep him in an upright postion
    with the syringe pointed toward the roof of his mouth.
    Thanks for helping this little one.
    I'm sorry to hear about your aunt.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-18-2016 at 06:38 AM.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

MissAmy (08-19-2016)

You've been given some good advice. Here's some general (very helpful) information about squirrel care in case you have not already seen it:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Squirrel-Care

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

MissAmy (08-19-2016)

Yes, I saw him aspirate. I found our stethoscope and didn't hear anything unusual in his lungs. No crackling or anything really but it's not the best stethoscope. Absent of any lung noises I should hold off on antibiotics, correct? I did the tipping forward with the quick/light inhales when it came out of his nose. My husband wouldn't kiss me for a day after lol. I've never had such a feisty baby so I've never had to hold the plunger back till now I sit on the floor when I feed him so he can be on my bed on a warmer in the proper position while he eats. Y'alls information here is invaluable. Thank you so much for all of the information provided. Should I start another thread for how to transition him to the squirrel formula? I've raised and released or found furrever homes for lots of newborn orphaned/rejected/injured animals. Teddy is our first tree squirrel. We have a 13 liner ground squirrel that was injured but couldn't be released. The cat that brought him to us as a baby permanently injured Sota's leg. Teddy has so many noises! I'm so sorry if I've over reacted here, I tend to error on the side of caution. The sneezing has continued, is that a cause for concern? I think the clicking may have been his attempt at sucking with nothing to suck, like a tongue releasing from the roof of his mouth? Squirrels are definitely different from any other baby we've been able to help. Thank you again and I apologize for the delay in responding. Between Teddy and family I haven't had a moment to hop on here. I just tried reading what I wrote and I apologize for the very apparent display of ADD.

Yes, I saw him aspirate. I found our stethoscope and didn't hear anything unusual in his lungs. No crackling or anything really but it's not the best stethoscope. Absent of any lung noises I should hold off on antibiotics, correct? I did the tipping forward with the quick/light inhales when it came out of his nose. My husband wouldn't kiss me for a day after lol. I've never had such a feisty baby so I've never had to hold the plunger back till now I sit on the floor when I feed him so he can be on my bed on a warmer in the proper position while he eats. Y'alls information here is invaluable. Thank you so much for all of the information provided. Should I start another thread for how to transition him to the squirrel formula? I've raised and released or found furrever homes for lots of newborn orphaned/rejected/injured animals. Teddy is our first tree squirrel. We have a 13 liner ground squirrel that was injured but couldn't be released. The cat that brought him to us as a baby permanently injured Sota's leg. Teddy has so many noises! I'm so sorry if I've over reacted here, I tend to error on the side of caution. The sneezing has continued, is that a cause for concern? I think the clicking may have been his attempt at sucking with nothing to suck, like a tongue releasing from the roof of his mouth? Squirrels are definitely different from any other baby we've been able to help. Thank you again and I apologize for the delay in responding. Between Teddy and family I haven't had a moment to hop on here. I just tried reading what I wrote and I apologize for the very apparent display of ADD.
    I think I would hold off on the antibiotics. If this were aspiration pneumonia, he would have declined quite rapidly.
    PLEASE never apologize for "overreacting". We don't see it that way at all.
    You're concerned with this fragile life,
    and we are thrilled that you are so diligent.

I don't think the sneezing is cause for concern unless there is discharge.
    Is this an actual sneeze or sort of a sputter. Is it constant?
    Some little ones outgrow that quickly.
    Does he have teeth yet?
    We always ask about teeth being too long when they get watery eyes
    and sneeze. I doubt they could be that long, but it's worth checking out.

What formula is he currently taking.
    We recommend Powdered Puppy Esbilac.
    We can help you transition him, just post your questions here.
    It's better to keep all of your posts in one thread, it's easier
    for members to read the history of a little one (unless there
    is a dire emergency, then start a new thread).

Sota is also lucky that he found his way to you!

The sneezing isn't constant maybe once or twice a feeding/pottying. There is no discharge, his eyes aren't open yet I don't know if his eyes could be watery when they're closed. He's still a bit underweight, I'm feeding him 5% of his body weight every 3 hours daytime or 4 hours over night. I weigh him daily and adjust accordingly. He is on Esbilac powdered puppy with 1/8 part whipping cream, I'm still having to give fluids between feedings. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I truly appreciate all of your advice. I just need to know I'm doing right by my babies. I ordered FV so it would be here when he's ready to transition over. His first night with us I ended up buying the syringes with needles from the pharmacy and taking the needles out with pliers, then had his syringes overnighted. His lower teeth just came in and his ears just opened. We have a vet about an hour away that specializes in animal dentistry. She's amazing! She already told me she hopes there aren't any problems but if there are she will take care of him. My beloved dog went to her every week for check ups through his battle with terminal cancer. We make sure all our animals have a quality life even if it means having to say goodbye. Quality over quantity Teddy LOVES behind his ears and under his chin scratched, I've never seen anything cuter. If my hair comes too close to him he tries climbing in it, is that normal? He has also cried (done the Mommy cry thing) when I put him down a couple of times. I pick him back up, he immediately stops so I hold him for a bit and he is fine. Thank you again for your time and help.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MissAmy:

Ekorre (08-23-2016), PennyCash (08-19-2016), redwuff (08-25-2016)

Pictures would certainly help us assess his condition to see if he still needs to be hydrated. What are you using to hydrate? Have you ordered o ring syringes to use with feeding. It is always helpful to have 1cc, 3ccs, and 5 ccs.

I love foxers!

I only have 1cc and 3cc o-ring syringes, I'll order some 5cc for when he's older. I also bought 200 disposable luer slip syringes in 1cc and 3cc. I'm using .5cc of a dye free pedialyte and every other hydration he's getting distilled water. His poo and pee are good consistency and color. His potty looks like he's hydrated but his skin doesn't, it still tents. I put a wet cotton ball in a ceramic bowl on the heated side of his bin because he was getting a little flaky skin. He's looking much better and just starting to get hair on his chest. He's gaining so much weight but I can still see his ribs when he's in a milk coma sprawled on his back after eating. I'll go to my computer to upload some pictures within the next day. My profile picture is of Teddy.

I only have 1cc and 3cc o-ring syringes, I'll order some 5cc for when he's older. I also bought 200 disposable luer slip syringes in 1cc and 3cc. I'm using .5cc of a dye free pedialyte and every other hydration he's getting distilled water. His poo and pee are good consistency and color. His potty looks like he's hydrated but his skin doesn't, it still tents. I put a wet cotton ball in a ceramic bowl on the heated side of his bin because he was getting a little flaky skin. He's looking much better and just starting to get hair on his chest. He's gaining so much weight but I can still see his ribs when he's in a milk coma sprawled on his back after eating. I'll go to my computer to upload some pictures within the next day. My profile picture is of Teddy.
    The sneezing isn't constant maybe once or twice a feeding/pottying.
    I wonder if this is just excitement that he lets out a little "sneeze" during dinner time.
    Glad it's only during these times, and not consistently.

I typically stick with the 1 and 3 cc syringes. For some reason, the 5 cc seem difficult to control.
    I've also heard and tried the 10 cc syringe when they are much older, and it's so much smoother than the 5 cc.
    That being said, up until a few years ago, I never went above a 3 cc, just to err on the side of caution.
    I must have missed it, but what Fox Valley formula did you order?

He's 84g as of this evening, do I stick with the 5% rule or is 6% ok? He has been acting hungry with just 5%. 😱 I have the FV Day one 20/50 to transition. I'll stick to the 3cc as my highest for now, especially with this little boy. Until his eyes open I'm keeping him on the powdered puppy esbilac. I'm beginning to think his sneeze is excitement too. I've never heard of such a thing with squirrels. My parrot picked up the sneezing noise this past spring when I had allergies lol. The first time I heard it I immediately made an appointment with the avian vet. She's such a funny bird, she mimicks our ground squirrel's noises too. I may have over reacted to the sneezing but I'd rather be safe than sorry. They're so fragile at this stage. I'll figure out how to upload his sneezes video, I finally caught it on video. I'll let y'all know for guidance when he opens his eyes to switch him over to the fox valley.

He's 84g as of this evening, do I stick with the 5% rule or is 6% ok? He has been acting hungry with just 5%. �� I have the FV Day one 20/50 to transition. I'll stick to the 3cc as my highest for now, especially with this little boy. Until his eyes open I'm keeping him on the powdered puppy esbilac. I'm beginning to think his sneeze is excitement too. I've never heard of such a thing with squirrels. My parrot picked up the sneezing noise this past spring when I had allergies lol. The first time I heard it I immediately made an appointment with the avian vet. She's such a funny bird, she mimics our ground squirrel's noises too. I may have over reacted to the sneezing but I'd rather be safe than sorry. They're so fragile at this stage. I'll figure out how to upload his sneezes video, I finally caught it on video. I'll let y'all know for guidance when he opens his eyes to switch him over to the fox valley.

If he is still hungry, offer more formula.
    How often are you feeding and what amount?
    The range (5-7%) is the rule of thumb, not etched in stone.
    For an 84 grams squirrel the range would be 4.2 - 5.8 ccs.
    You have to watch the tummy, and make sure it doesn't get hard.
    It should feel like a balloon (NOT over inflated) when he's done eating.
    Also watch his poop. It should stay pretty consistent to what
    you're seeing now.
    Also remember that if you're increasing, do it slowly. Up the amount
    for a few feedings, see how it goes.

Remember there is NO problem with "overreacting". We call it concern and
    smart to ask questions you are unsure of.

Here's an interesting thread on the "rule of thumb".
    Keep in mind that most who posted are seasoned rehabbers
    who have done many squirrels, and know the warning signs.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ule&highlight=

There is no reason to totally transition over to the FV 20/50. Many keep their
    babies on 50/50 (Powdered Esbilac and FV). Some just stick with the Esbilac and others
    go with all FV 20/50.

Your little parrot sounds like quite the character with her mimicking sounds.
    They can be so entertaining.

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-21-2016 at 07:20 AM.

I slowly increase by .5cc on feedings according to his weight. I watch for the white band and feel his tummy. I'm concerned about bloat. He doesn't have it but I want to make sure it stays that way. I was worried about his tummy, my sister is a RVT, so we went to her house so she could double check. His tummy was full but not hard. He was getting 4.5cc every 3 hours today, just barely above the 5% guideline. Night time feedings are every 4 hours. Thank you so much for all your help I'm always very concerned about all my babies. I worry a bit about changing his diet because he seems to be doing so well. He is becoming very active even with eyes closed. I'm using a cotton ball for potty but it looks like there's a darker spot on his scrotum. I have only used my phone to hop on here and not my computer yet but I will post pictures. School starts tomorrow so I'll have more time. Thank you for the link, I'll take a look, I've read so many posts since Teddy came to us. Y'all are a plethora of information, I can't thank y'all enough.

I slowly increase by .5cc on feedings according to his weight. I watch for the white band and feel his tummy. I'm concerned about bloat. He doesn't have it but I want to make sure it stays that way. I was worried about his tummy, my sister is a RVT, so we went to her house so she could double check. His tummy was full but not hard. He was getting 4.5cc every 3 hours today, just barely above the 5% guideline. Night time feedings are every 4 hours. Thank you so much for all your help I'm always very concerned about all my babies. I worry a bit about changing his diet because he seems to be doing so well. He is becoming very active even with eyes closed. I'm using a cotton ball for potty but it looks like there's a darker spot on his scrotum. I have only used my phone to hop on here and not my computer yet but I will post pictures. School starts tomorrow so I'll have more time. Thank you for the link, I'll take a look, I've read so many posts since Teddy came to us. Y'all are a plethora of information, I can't thank y'all enough.

It's good to be aware of possible problems, but you don't
    want to stress so much that you don't enjoy the experience.
    But I so appreciate you being diligent and I'm sure your little one does
    as well.
    His tummy is just where you want it, firm but NOT hard. Perfect.
    Is he on all Powdered puppy esbilac? If you are concerned you can
    keep him on that mix, you don't have to incorporate Fox Valley20/50.

I just did a quick comparison.

The puppy esbilac has a guaranteed analysis of 33% Protein and the crude fat 40%.
    This would be almost equivalent to the Fox Valley 32/40 for squirrels under 4 weeks.
    (We NEVER recommend anymore because it doesn't dissolve and sat like cement.
    The third ingredient in the 32/40 is dried milk concentrate, and NOT dried whey protein, like the Puppy Esbilac OR the Fox Valley 20/50)

It appears that when Esbilac changed their formula to include Dried Whey Protein concentrate,
    their formula was much improved and now what we recommend.

The first number in the FV products are the Protein precentage, the second number is the fat percentage.

Fox Valley 20/50 has a guaranteed analysis of 20% Protein and the crude fat of 50%

While the Puppy Esbilac has more protein and less fat, 33/40
    that would be ideal for a squirrels needs who are under 4 weeks of age.

Squirrels 5 weeks and up require LESS protein and more fat hence the reason to go to Fox Valley 20/50.

I think you're feeding too often, but if this is working for you, fine.
    Typically at this weight you could go to 4-5 hours and some even drop the night
    feeding. I was reluctant to post this since your little one is doing so well, but
    I just wanted to throw it out there.

Get some simethicone and have it handy.
    We can give that to squirrels if they bloat.

Thank you for your questions and concerns and ask away.

We have simethicone on hand maybe we can try to start incorporating the FV once his eyes are open. For right now he's on straight Esbilac. I'd love a full nights sleep! Or at least 6 hours it has been a long 18 days lol. I'll start doing 3.5 to 4.5 hours for feedings. He's doing well with 6cc now and last night he was 90g! He was 38g when he arrived with us. I guess I'm just getting nervous around feedings but I'm becoming more confident the better he's doing. Is he too big to still have eyes closed? I was feeding according to the recommendations for his age guesstimate. I'm about to finally post pictures. Thank you again for all your help.

Name:  image7.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  537.0 KBName:  image32.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  547.6 KBName:  image1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  595.0 KB

Is he too big to still have eyes closed?I was feeding according to the recommendations for his age guesstimate.
    You should be confident he's come a long way in your loving care!
    This is from a post of mine from 2 years ago.
    I had 4 eyes closed babies who were all over ~200 grams when their eyes
    opened.
    Thank God, I didn't feed them according to their age.
    You are doing fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    OK I've had them 4 weeks today, they are all in the 160 gram range
    and NO eyes are open. BUT they sure are cute.

Little Vera.
    Her name is in honor of Avery, my first dirty faced squirrel.

OMG he is just as precious as can be.

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-23-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Thank you he has stolen my heart! He was 95g last night. He's up to 8cc every 4-5 hours but his skin seemed a bit loose today so I think I should be feeding more (slowly increasing of course) or more often? That's my gut feeling, what are your thoughts? Your babies are so precious and big! Thank you, for your reassurances, it helps me know I'm on the right track. Are we supposed to do anything about the wicked nails or they'll take care of themselves?

Thank you he has stolen my heart! He was 95g last night. He's up to 8cc every 4-5 hours but his skin seemed a bit loose today so I think I should be feeding more (slowly increasing of course) or more often? That's my gut feeling, what are your thoughts? Your babies are so precious and big! Thank you, for your reassurances, it helps me know I'm on the right track. Are we supposed to do anything about the wicked nails or they'll take care of themselves?
    You can always give him a little hydration with just plain water in between feedings, or you can add a touch of honey, just to sweeten it a tad.
    We leave the nails alone. I know they are like little needles, but if we trim them, and they go to climb,
    they can slip, fall and hurt themselves.
    Once he gets older, you can put in some large branches. When he crawls around on them,
    it should dull the nails some.
    Your little one has stolen my heart as well.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

MissAmy (08-23-2016)

I think some of the experts on the board have said that one should never give distilled water to squirrels. Hopefully, someone who knows more about this will chime in and explain why.

Your little guy is such a cutie!

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

MissAmy (08-23-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast