Thread: Emaciated baby squirrels. Please help!

Squirrelnewbiemum Guest

Default Emaciated baby squirrels. Please help!

Hello everyone! I found two baby squirrels about a week ago. They are most likely one week old from when I found them. I've rehydrated them and been feeding a formula. I did not get an Esbilac though because the pet store closest to us does not have them. I did get PetLac. They haven't been eating well and when they do eat, they poop right away or while they are eating. They are losing weight fast and I don't even know what to do anymore. I really care about this little guys now and I just want them to thrive so they can grow to be healthy and strong and ready to be released.

It's my first time to encounter and foster baby squirrels and I can't do it by myself. so please help me save them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Emaciated baby squirrels. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnewbiemum View Post
    I did not get an Esbilac though because the pet store closest to us does not have them. I did get PetLac.
    You MUST get the Esbilac. They will not thrive and are likely to die on the PetLac (you already have evidence of that).

Edit: It is the powdered Esbilac, the liquid canned stuff is not the same. You can sometimes get this at Wal-Mart adn Tractor Supply usually has it on the shelf.

How much do they weigh? Knowing their weight is critical and not optional.

How much and how often are you feeding them?

Do you have them on heat?

Here is a link to some basics for review; there 6 pages in total (use the next towards the top of the page?).
    http://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

What general area are you in? We have members and know of rehabbers in your state. We can help you find help for those babies.

How close are you to Malibu? How about LA?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    You MUST get the Esbilac. They will not thrive and are likely to die on the PetLac (you already have evidence of that).

Edit: It is the powdered Esbilac, the liquid canned stuff is not the same. You can sometimes get this at Wal-Mart adn Tractor Supply usually has it on the shelf.

Here is a link to some basics for review; there 6 pages in total (use the next towards the top of the page?).
    This info is spot on and please answer the questions.
    Will also add, these babies are dehydrated! A dehydrated baby
    can not process what it's being fed in this condition.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Squirrelnewbiemum Guest

I will get the Esbilac today and I've already ordered Fox Valley Milk, hopefully I can get it by this end of tis week so I'll just feed them with Esbilac for now. i have not weighed them since Sunday. i will weigh them again later before I feed them. Do I need to add anything else with the Esbilac or by itself and water is fine? Also I've read that Some people uses distilled water to mix the formula, is that okay to do?

Squirrelnewbiemum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    This info is spot on and please answer the questions.
    Will also add, these babies are dehydrated! A dehydrated baby
    can not process what it's being fed in this condition.
    I rehydrated them the first day, I thought they are alreay well that is why I started feeding them formula. Can I give them Pedialyte in between feedings? Will that be okay?

I will get the Esbilac today and I've already ordered Fox Valley Milk, hopefully I can get it by this end of tis week so I'll just feed them with Esbilac for now. i have not weighed them since Sunday. i will weigh them again later before I feed them. Do I need to add anything else with the Esbilac or by itself and water is fine? Also I've read that Some people uses distilled water to mix the formula, is that okay to do?
    Is the FV 32/40 or the 20/50?

My understanding is never use distilled water with formula.

Remember (thanks Step!), get them re-hydrated first. Page 2 of the link about baby care explains that process:
    http://www.henryspets.com/2-rehydration/

I rehydrated them the first day, I thought they are already well that is why I started feeding them formula. Can I give them Pedialyte in between feedings? Will that be okay?
    They have to be well hydrated in order to process the formula, so until they are hydrated then feeding them formula is counterproductive.

Step is suggesting that based on the pictures those babies are dehydrated. I agree.

Squirrelnewbiemum Guest

Is the FV 32/40 or the 20/50?

My understanding is never use distilled water with formula.

Remember (thanks Step!), get them re-hydrated first. Page 2 of the link about baby care explains that process:
    http://www.henryspets.com/2-rehydration/
    So tap water is fine to use with the formula? The FV i ordered was 32/40. I've been reading things from the internet and I don't even know who to believe. Some say don't use Esbilac because it does not have the same ingredients anymore and that it will kill them.

Squirrelnewbiemum Guest

They have to be well hydrated in order to process the formula, so until they are hydrated then feeding them formula is counterproductive.

Step is suggesting that based on the pictures those babies are dehydrated. I agree.
    I will rehydrate them again. Should I just keep on rehydrating them and not feed them for the next 24 hours?

Ditto to the above.

Looks like you have two sisters. When does the Fox valley arrive?

You will want to hydrate 5% ( or more . 5% would be the very least ) of their body weight every 2-3 hours.

Tap water is fine for the Esbilac or the FV. Distilled is a problem because there are no trace minerals etc.

Once you get one of the formulas you will need to dilute it per our instructions for a few feeds. But its Imparitive they are well hydrated before the formula.

Do you see normal solid poops or do they have the runs?
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

So tap water is fine to use with the formula? The FV i ordered was 32/40. I've been reading things from the internet and I don't even know who to believe. Some say don't use Esbilac because it does not have the same ingredients anymore and that it will kill them.
    Well, depends on your tap water but generally yes. If any doubt used bottled water but not distilled.

The 32/40 has been problematic more recently and has been being largely avoided... some still use the 20/50. Most are either using the Esbilac or the Esbilac half-n-half with the FV 20/50 (after eyes open but just Esbilac until then).

The Esbilac you want will have "dried whey protein concentrate" as the 3rd ingredient . I posted the ingredient list in the earlier post so you can compare. Some of the recent Esbilac confusion (IMO) is caused by the product "artwork" used on websites which does not look like the label that I posted. Maybe this is old (or new upcoming?) product label, but I have ordered Esbilac form Amazon just to see what I got... what I received was what I posted which but was not the pictured label used by Amazon to sell it.

Squirrelnewbiemum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Ditto to the above.

Looks like you have two sisters. When does the Fox valley arrive?

You will want to hydrate 5% ( or more . 5% would be the very least ) of their body weight every 2-3 hours.

Tap water is fine for the Esbilac or the FV. Distilled is a problem because there are no trace minerals etc.

Once you get one of the formulas you will need to dilute it per our instructions for a few feeds. But its Imparitive they are well hydrated before the formula.

Do you see normal solid poops or do they have the runs?
    Yes, I've already named them Sara and Kara. Thank you so much for answering my recent questions. The FV should be arriving on Friday. I will have them on Esbilac until FV arrives. How do I know if they have been rehydrated? Their poops are yellow, very smelly and soft. Sometimes they have the runs but mostly it's just very soft. They poop may times in a day... Is that not normal? They have been peeing clear pee though. One day when I was feeding Sara, the bigger of the two, she was pooping at the same time. It happened twice. And once for Kara, but with Kara it was the runs.

Squirrelnewbiemum Guest

Well, depends on your tap water but generally yes. If any doubt used bottled water but not distilled.

The 32/40 has been problematic more recently and has been being largely avoided... some still use the 20/50. Most are either using the Esbilac or the Esbilac half-n-half with the FV 20/50 (after eyes open but just Esbilac until then).

The Esbilac you want will have "dried whey protein concentrate" as the 3rd ingredient . I posted the ingredient list in the earlier post so you can compare. Some of the recent Esbilac confusion (IMO) is caused by the product "artwork" used on websites which does not look like the label that I posted. Maybe this is old (or new upcoming?) product label, but I have ordered Esbilac form Amazon just to see what I got... what I received was what I posted which but was not the pictured label used by Amazon to sell it.
    Should I not feed them the 32/40 then when it arrives and just stick with the Esbilac? I'm currently just giving them fluid to rehydrate. In your opinion, is Pedialyte okay to use to rehydrate them?
    Thank you for answering my question regarding the water to use. I'll use bottled water because our tap water sucks.

Should I not feed them the 32/40 then when it arrives and just stick with the Esbilac? I'm currently just giving them fluid to rehydrate. In your opinion, is Pedialyte okay to use to rehydrate them?
    Thank you for answering my question regarding the water to use. I'll use bottled water because our tap water sucks.
    I can only tell you that I am not using the FV 32/40. I threw two bags away after I had issues a while ago. I prefer the Esbilac until eyes open then transition to the Esbilac / FV 20/50 half-n-half.

Yes, Pedialyte is "okay" but if you want to avoid the artificial colors and other garbage you can use:

Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

(You can substitute 1/2 TSP of Honey for the sugar if you prefer).

SquirrelRN Guest

My babies often poop and pee when you feed them too. It's normal. It's called the gastric reflex. Clear urine is a good sign, it means they are hydrating. Dark yellow, concentrated smelly urine means they are not getting enough hydration.

The formula thing is absolutely maddening for everyone involved in rehabbing. Unfortunately, the companies change ingredients, change sources, and tell nobody. One of the nice things about being on a super busy board like this is that the sheer number of people participating lets us see trends with problems with the formulas so we can keep reasonable up to date with what is good and what is bad RIGHT NOW. What will be bad in three months is anybody's guess.

I would return the 32/40 unopened. Use the POWDERED puppy Esbilac now, and if you wish, when they are a bit older, you can try adding the Fox Valley 20/50 at the rate of half Esbilac and half 20/50.

I would start these babies at 3 parts water to 1 part powder and slowly work them up to the full strength which is 2 parts water to 1 part powder. Starting a bit more dilute will help ease their digestive systems onto the food and hopefully avoid any diarrhea issues.

I can only tell you that I am not using the FV 32/40. I threw two bags away after I had issues a while ago. I prefer the Esbilac until eyes open then transition to the Esbilac / FV 20/50 half-n-half.

Yes, Pedialyte is "okay" but if you want to avoid the artificial colors and other garbage you can use:

Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

(You can substitute 1/2 TSP of Honey for the sugar if you prefer).

You're getting great advice here from all, Squirrelnewbiemum!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.