Thread: Bite wound

Xabearkat Guest

Default Bite wound

So, my roommate rescued a baby from our dogs. He had just become an orphan and she literally rescued him from a dog's mouth. Linus ended up with one bite mark which had been healing nicely, I thought. It is now getting red around the bite mark. We 'bathe' him multiple times a day, which just means that we wipe him down with a wet wash cloth. I just want to see what others think. Could he be developing an infection, or does this look like it's healing to you?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  560.1 KB

Default Re: Bite wound

This wound is a dire emergency and should be moved to the emergency section. This is definitely infected!!

How long has he had this wound?
    Can you tell if the wound has punctured the abdominal cavity?
    Do you have vet access?
    Do you have any antibiotics?
    Why is the abdomen so large? Is it possible the puncture has penetrated the cavity and this is due to peritonitis?
    Other than this wound, does he seem sick or in pain?

Sorry for so many questions but this is serious and will help us evaluate the magnitude of this injury. This baby needs a vet.

That looks like a nasty infection. This hasn't been moved to the emergency forum yet. Has this person been back online since posting the picture and asking about it??that baby needs antibiotics and a vet.
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song"

E mail has been sent asking finder to come back to board.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Xabearkat Guest

I'm sorry, but I was at work today and just got the opportunity to check this. To answer your questions:

He got the wound a week ago tomorrow, if it came from our dog as we suspect. My roommate cleaned it out and wrapped it with vet tape, but the vet tape didn't stay at all.
    I don't think it punctured the abdominal cavity.
    Yes, I have a vet, but not until Monday.
    No. We don't have antibiotics.
    Other than the wound, he's a happy baby squirrel. He eats, pees, poops, and sleeps. I bathe him several times a day, but I try to avoid the wound because I don't want to hurt him further. My roommate dabs it gently.
    His tummy was extended because he had just eaten. He seems like a puppy in that when he eats, his stomach expands for a bit.

That's a relief.
    The fact that he acts like a normal healthy baby is a good sign. I was so afraid the puncture had penetrated the cavity. If he had peritonitis he certainly wouldn't be acting normal.

Clavamox would be a good antibiotic for this. It is also called Augmentin. You could treat him yourself if you could get a pill from someone. We could help you dose. I do think he needs antibiotics though. I would call the vet before you take the baby there. MOST vets will not see wildlife so it's best to call before you go. Some will even confiscate the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I do think he needs antibiotics though.
    I agree definitely!

Curious to ask...
    What "formula" are you feeding him and do you know what he weighs?

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Xabearkat Guest

He weighs 4 ounces.
    We feed him kitten formula. I can't find rodent block in the local pet stores, so I'm going to order it.
    He has started flickering his eyes, so I think he's about 4 weeks old.

Also, I live in a rural town. I have a great vet. I'm sure he will help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xabearkat View Post
    We feed him kitten formula. I can't find rodent block in the local pet stores
    Is this the formula you are using? Here is the site were the preferred blocks are they have
    everything in them your squirrel needs.
    http://www.henryspets.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The kitten formula is not good for squirrels. It has too much protein... kittens are carnivores. Squirrels will do OK on it for a few days and will then start going down hill.

Yes, as grinder head said, buy the Esbilac puppy formula with probiotics and prebiotics. Buy the powdered formula NOT the canned liquid. It is different.

Here is a link for baby squirrel care. It is 6 pages. The next button is on the top right.
    http://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Xabearkat Guest

Rodent block has been ordered. The roommie will get the formula today, and I will call my vet tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help. We tried to find someone else to take him, but the people in our area did not return phone calls.

He seems to be growing and thriving in every area. The wound even seemed to be getting better, but it is definitely not anymore, and I was getting concerned.

Tractor Supply stores seem to be the most "reliable" source for the Esbilac puppy formula. Tell the roomy to be careful since there is a similar blue can of puppy formula that is not Esbilac (by the same manufacturer).

The third ingredient of the correct formula is "dried whey protein concentrate".

Xabearkat Guest

update:

I called my vet this morning and it is illegal for him to help me with the squirrel as I have no license. I called a small animal hospital nearby that had refused him before, but now that he is hurt they will take him. So, that's where he goes today.

I've grown attached, but I'm relieved as the infection is just getting worse. He probably wouldn't live if he stayed here.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Xabearkat View Post
    update:

I called my vet this morning and it is illegal for him to help me with the squirrel as I have no license. I called a small animal hospital nearby that had refused him before, but now that he is hurt they will take him. So, that's where he goes today.

I've grown attached, but I'm relieved as the infection is just getting worse. He probably wouldn't live if he stayed here.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate everything.
    I hope that the animal hospital will take him, raise him, and release him. If not, maybe a licensed wildlife rehabilitator can pick him up? Not sure where you are in Texas but a google search for wildlife rehabilitation and your area might find someone how can help. If I were in your position, I would inquire about the outcome here.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.