Hello I'm new here and to this whole, squirrel mommy thing. I've been taking care of animals in need all my life, but this is the first time I've had to take care of a squirrel, and I know you have to be careful with them, so I have some questions! Also, I'm sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place, I'm not very acquainted with forums, lol.

A few days ago I was given a baby gray, I'm thinking somewhere between 5-7 weeks old. His mommy was eaten by a cat on my street, and some old woman saved him from the scene so he wouldn't meet the same fate. It is a boy as far as I can tell, and he seems perfectly healthy! I have been feeding him puppy formula a few times a day, whenever he's hungry with a bottle that came with the formula. I've read that I should be using a syringe for feeding, but he seems to like the bottle fine. He drinks about 10ml's at a time every few hours. He mostly sleeps all day, or so I think since he hides in my sweater all day (it's kind of where he lives, lol). Every once in a while he'll come out to wander a little, but usually just to eat more, lol. He's most of active very early in the morning of course!! He can eat solids, somewhat. I say somewhat because he only has his bottom two teeth, but I can feel the two tops starting to come in when he sticks my fingers in his mouth, lol. So far he's struggled, but been able to eat peanuts out of the shell, and pieces of apples. He's getting better at eating without the top teeth.

The questions I have are mainly about re-releasing him once he's old enough.
How old does he have to be to be released? Will he be too dependent on me or too friendly to be released?
Would it be bad to release him somewhere far from here? Or would he be upset to not see me anymore? As much as I'd like to release him back around here, I really don't trust the area, as I live in the city. I fear he may get eaten, hurt by some not so friendly people, or ran over. The place I have in mind to release him, if I can, is a very foresty area a few miles from here. Far from streets and a lot of people.
Also, as he is now, I said I think he's between 5-7 weeks, but I'm thinking he's closer to 6-7 now that I've seen how bushy his tail really is! I currently have him in a quite large animal carrier cage for when I need to be away, but I mostly just have him (in my sweater) on my bed most of the day beside me. I mention this because I'm wondering if he's okay to be alone for a few hours a day as long as he's fed? I ask because I am currently having to bring him back and forth from my mothers house to my father's, and although he's much better off at my father's (because there are no other animals there, other than a bird) he would be alone for quite a few hours every day as I only go over once my father finishes work, (around 3pmish). I'm sure he probably shouldn't be alone for that long a day, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Also, if he becomes acquainted with the pets, (cats dogs) I assume that would put him in danger of being eaten in the wild since he'd probably try to approach them, right?

I've had him since Saturday, and like I said he seems to be doing fine. Always eating, perky when active, normal poop. I just don't want to do anything wrong, especially when it comes to letting him go again, (if he isn't dependent). Any advice is appreciated, thanks!!!

Name:  12007186_10156087768325523_53455895_n.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  96.5 KB