Thread: Something is Wrong with Petey's Tail

Exclamation Something is Wrong with Petey's Tail

Something is seriously wrong with my 5 week old Foxer's tail, which I just noticed this morning. Please see the photos attached.

Petey had a small scab about 1.5 - 2" down from the tip of his tail when I got him a few weeks ago. I've been putting neosporin on it and it has improved. However this morning his tail has seemed to completely shrivel up at the tip and is super hard to the touch. Like the end is dead, there is no blood circulation. The rest of his tail seems fine, it is meaty and feels like it is getting circulation.

What could this be and what do I do to help him?

PLEASE HELP!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Baby LuLu entered my life on April 28, 2015

Default Re: Something is Wrong with Petey's Tail

The wound was likely too great to heal. He will probably lose that portion, but the rest of the tail will grow in. He will have a shorter tail, but he should be fine. Their tails are basically designed to "break away" when absolutely necessary - like a predator grabs it, and USUALLY they heal without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The wound was likely too great to heal. He will probably lose that portion, but the rest of the tail will grow in. He will have a shorter tail, but he should be fine. Their tails are basically designed to "break away" when absolutely necessary - like a predator grabs it, and USUALLY they heal without incident.
    Ok, got it. So it's kind of like a lizard tail...

I'm assuming it will just fall off on its' own? I don't need to clip it?

Any signs I should be looking for to signal that there is an issue with the tail healing?

Just normal signs of infection, and watch that it doesn't get chewed on. It can be a bad thing closer to the body, but this is far enough down that it will likely be fine.

Just normal signs of infection, and watch that it doesn't get chewed on. It can be a bad thing closer to the body, but this is far enough down that it will likely be fine.
    Sounds good, I will keep a close eye on it.

Thank you CritterMom!

CM, (Or anyone else who knows the answer) Petey's tail did eventually break away and fall off at that part at the end. So now he has a tail that is about 1.5 - 2" shorter than a normal foxer tail. Other than that, Petey is healthy and very happy, and such a sweet little boy. I love him so much. He gives me kisses on my nose and holds my face in his whittle hands. Anyway! To my question:

Does this (his shorter tail) make him a NR? I've been doing research on all things squirrel, specifically reading, "Hand Rearing Infant Tree Squirrels", by P.C Hanes. In one section of the paper, Hanes describes the tail as vital to squirrel's survival in the wild. I believe she said that the tail is like an umbrella, temperature regulator, and a balance implement. I don't have the paper here at work with me so I am roughly paraphrasing. I am hoping that Petey will be able to be released come this spring but I will be totally ok with him being a forever pet if he is in fact an NR. Does anyone know?

Petey is able to run, jump and climb just fine in my opinion. He is less rambunctious and slower moving than Pablo, my other Foxer that is about 1 week older than Petey, but I attribute that to the fact that I've had Petey from when he was about 2 weeks old and Pablo I got when he was about 7 weeks.

Any advice is appreciated

If the tail is long enough to cover his back and reach his head he should be fine. However when we, ahem, joke about the ones too cute to release, we postulate that they are NR due to having one whisker slightly shorter than the others...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Elise (11-05-2015)

However when we, ahem, joke about the ones too cute to release, we postulate that they are NR due to having one whisker slightly shorter than the others...
    Sooo true!

Sometimes you'll find little pieces of squirrel tails that the wilds dropped outside.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

Elise (11-05-2015)

If the tail is long enough to cover his back and reach his head he should be fine. However when we, ahem, joke about the ones too cute to release, we postulate that they are NR due to having one whisker slightly shorter than the others...
    His tail reaches the top of his shoulders maybe, but doesn't reach to his head. I will post a photo when I get home.

He is definitely one I would have no problem with if he turns out to be NR.

Here is my Petey. What do you think?

Agh I added pictures but they always come out sideways. Sorry about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    Here is my Petey. What do you think?

Agh I added pictures but they always come out sideways. Sorry about that.

Aw.

He will get a "pouf" on the end of the tail but likely not until his next molt. It will add another couple inches of tail area.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Elise (11-08-2015)

Aw.

He will get a "pouf" on the end of the tail but likely not until his next molt. It will add another couple inches of tail area.
    Ok, then I assume that he will be able to be released. Aw shucks.

Thank you for your help!