Thread: Clicking baby squirrel

backspace456 Guest

Default Clicking baby squirrel

I have a 2 baby flying squirrels, one aspirated some milk. Wondering how to get it out or what do about it. thanks Matt

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Clicking baby squirrel

Well, at the moment it occurs, it's best to flip them upside down so that gravity will help with it running out of the mouth, nose, throat, etc.

If you have an infant nasal aspirator you could also very gently suck the milk of of the nose (You will need to use great caution...too hard of a suck could collapse a lung).

Now that it's after the fact, there's not much you can do but evaluate and work towards preventing it from occurring in the future.

Monitor the breathing for heaviness/shallowness and rate in comparison to the other baby. Also listen for clicking with every breath...every inhale and exhale there will be a clicking noise. When holding the baby with its back in the palm of your hand you may also feel a rattle when the baby breathes.

Make sure you're using a 1cc syringe with a nipple. The best would be a Miracle Mini Nipple along with a 1cc o-ring syringe. Anything larger than this and you're asking for problems.

In the meantime, while you're evaluating it would probably be a good idea for you to find some antibiotics. You'll need Baytril, Cipro, or Clavamox. Baytril is a veterinary drug only so only people with animals would have it or a vet would too. Cipro is a human and veterinary drug (very similar to Baytril) and is most commonly used by women with UTI issue (urinary tract infections). Clavamox is also sometimes called Augmentin and is used for both humans and animals.

Start asking around to see what you can get your hands on. DO NOT GIVE THE BABY ANY MEDS UNTIL YOU TELL US WHAT YOU HAVE! Also make sure you have a scale that weighs in grams, as in order to properly dose meds an accurate weight is needed. If you're able to secure meds we will need to know what it is and the strength of it.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

backspace456 Guest

Thank you, she seems to be doing well, eating fine, fairly energetic. Not quite a lively has her brother but not lethargic. I'm a little apprehensive about trying the infant nasal aspirator. Will the milk leave on its own?

Well, probably a lot of people would think me just insane, but at the first sign of sputtering while feeding, I turn the baby so it is nose down, pointing to the floor, wrap my mouth around the nose and give a little suck. You can FEEL what you are doing so you don't hurt them and I would rather get a baby squirrel booger in my mouth than have one get aspiration pneumonia.

Then again, there is a very good chance that I am a half a bubble off plumb...

But regardless of whether you are using a baby nose sucker (I like my name better) or your mouth, it has to be done immediately. Not all snorting milk results in the milk draining into the lungs, and THAT is what causes the pneumonia. At this point there is no use doing any of those things. Immediately means drop the syring and do it right then.

You best bet is to see if you can locate some meds. The Cipro will likely be the easiest to find since it is a very popular drug. As Mil'os Mom said, you need (1) pill and WE need to know the size in milligrams of the poll and the weight in grams of your baby. Hopefully you don't need it but if you do, there is NO other recourse, unfortunately.

backspace456 Guest

I ordered the right nipples and some Baytril. and if it happens again ill be eating squirrel boogers, thats a good idea haha

You guys 'ain't' right.

Quote Originally Posted by backspace456 View Post
    Thank you, she seems to be doing well, eating fine, fairly energetic. Not quite a lively has her brother but not lethargic. I'm a little apprehensive about trying the infant nasal aspirator. Will the milk leave on its own?
    Keep a close eye and ear on her, don't assume your out of the woods yet!
    You really should try and see what antibiotcs you can get hold of,
    waiting until the last minute has cost enough lives.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

backspace456 Guest

Ive ordered the antibiotics just encase. She hasn't clicked in 2 days so i'm hoping she will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by backspace456 View Post
    I ordered the right nipples and some Baytril. and if it happens again ill be eating squirrel boogers, thats a good idea haha
    Where did you get the baytril? Cause I'm having the same problem with my baby squirrel as well

This is an old thread.

If your squirrel is clicking and you suspect aspiration pneumonia then you need to call family and friends and locate some type of human or animal antibiotic. Once you find something post what the drug is and the strength and someone will be able to dose it for you and tell you if it’s a suitable antibiotic. Well also need a weight of your squirrel meds are dosed by weight.

Please don’t delay finding the medicine, AP takes them down fast.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-03-2021), stepnstone (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Well, at the moment it occurs, it's best to flip them upside down so that gravity will help with it running out of the mouth, nose, throat, etc.

If you have an infant nasal aspirator you could also very gently suck the milk of of the nose (You will need to use great caution...too hard of a suck could collapse a lung).

Now that it's after the fact, there's not much you can do but evaluate and work towards preventing it from occurring in the future.

Monitor the breathing for heaviness/shallowness and rate in comparison to the other baby. Also listen for clicking with every breath...every inhale and exhale there will be a clicking noise. When holding the baby with its back in the palm of your hand you may also feel a rattle when the baby breathes.

Make sure you're using a 1cc syringe with a nipple. The best would be a Miracle Mini Nipple along with a 1cc o-ring syringe. Anything larger than this and you're asking for problems.

In the meantime, while you're evaluating it would probably be a good idea for you to find some antibiotics. You'll need Baytril, Cipro, or Clavamox. Baytril is a veterinary drug only so only people with animals would have it or a vet would too. Cipro is a human and veterinary drug (very similar to Baytril) and is most commonly used by women with UTI issue (urinary tract infections). Clavamox is also sometimes called Augmentin and is used for both humans and animals.

Start asking around to see what you can get your hands on. DO NOT GIVE THE BABY ANY MEDS UNTIL YOU TELL US WHAT YOU HAVE! Also make sure you have a scale that weighs in grams, as in order to properly dose meds an accurate weight is needed. If you're able to secure meds we will need to know what it is and the strength of it.
    I suspect my baby is clicking. I think I have antibiotics. This post is quite old. Wanted to make sure someone would respond.

Members who have read this thread: 2