Thread: Sick squirrel HELP

Angry Sick squirrel HELP

My 5 month old eastern gray squirrel is sick now, he's lethargic and vomiting white stuff...yesterday he was playing like normal and today he dont eat. i had a lot of rescued squirrel and two of them died a day after having the same symptoms... what is it? HELP

Default Re: Sick squirrel HELP

Hi jumbo jimbo
    to TheSquirrelBoard

Vomiting in squirrels is pretty rare. Let's start with the diet. What does your baby eat? What did he eat today?

he didnt eat a lot since hes lethargic when i came back from work, he ate a few pieces of apple and drink a little bit of water and one tiny seryngue of pedialyte. His normal diet (what he ate yesterday) sweet pea, brocolis, carrots, pear,yellow pea, cheese, one peanut, grapes, avocado, apple, everything is wash carefully. hes very calm now its 4am hes sleeping under surveillance on the couch if i try to move him hes doing noises (crying noise unhappy) im really worried

he didnt eat a lot since hes lethargic when i came back from work, he ate a few pieces of apple and drink a little bit of water and one tiny seryngue of pedialyte. His normal diet (what he ate yesterday) sweet pea, brocolis, carrots, pear,yellow pea, cheese, one peanut, grapes, avocado, apple, everything is wash carefully. hes very calm now its 4am hes sleeping under surveillance on the couch if i try to move him hes doing noises (crying noise unhappy) im really worried oh yeah he also have his rodent block i forgot to mentionned

Do you have a full spectrum light for him? He also needs more dark leafy greens. Squirrels can get sick and die from lack of calcium. This they get from dark leafy greens. Without sun light or a full spectrum light they can not absorb the calcium in it. The condition of not getting enough calcium is called metabolic bone disease (MBD). This can be painful for them. Severe pain can make them throw up. has he had any seizures? Are his back legs working all right?

Is is this a grey squirrel? If so cheese is not a part of a normal diet for them.

For further info on mbd look under the specific ailment section on this board. There should be more info there.

Fisdolve ve a calcium tablet in water and give a dropper full to him immediately. If it isn't mad it won't hurt to do so.

Here is the link to the MBD information.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ted-3-31-09%29

Some squirrels actual like the berry flavored Tums and will eat them willingly.

thanks i know about mdb its not the symptom , yeah hes got a lot of wild green leaf in his diet from tree im sure are safe and i put his cage outside all the time during weekend and sometimes during the week looks like its poisoning... i had 2 other squirrel that had the same symptoms and other in the ssame cage doing fine...
    he made it through the night but now hes worst...he ate apple, grape really slowly laying then he grap a peanut eat it and the vomit...

For consideration: Are the trees sprayed with any pesticides? Does his veggies get washed?

yes food are wash and tree are not spray they are on my land and i wash the branches and leaf before i gave him