Thread: RAT help Needed ASAP!!!!

Hybrid View

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default RAT help Needed ASAP!!!!

A friend of mine had a domestic rat dropped off last night from a relative. My friend is a rehabber. Has drugs. Family that owns rat is unwilling to spend any money. Rehabber has rat as long as needed.

Rat has huge abscess under chin, which now involves the underside of his tongue. The swelling is more so to the right side and is not dead center. The abscess was lanced a few times and puss did come out....so it is an abscess as opposed to a tumor.

Apparently this has been going on for quite some time and rehabber feels if she doesn't get this under control within the next 24-36 hours he will die. He's lost weight, and basically cannot eat or drink. She is preparing to tube hydration and critical care.

Rehabber has him on Metacam and Baytril at the moment. What is best for this in a rat? I suggested Clindamycin, since my vet told me rodents should not take Clavamox (I corrected him on this related to squirrels, but I dont know about rats). Rehabber has Clavamox but she does not have Clindamycin and her vet will not prescribe...only Baytril.

Help Rat people!!!!!

She's looking for suggestions.

Rat forums are suggesting warm compresses and even an acne treatment of benzoyl peroxide to help bring abscess to a head???????? And to use amoxicillin or Baytril and Metronidozole.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Default Re: RAT help Needed ASAP!!!!

FB Monica Smith -- she is very knowledgeable about ratties!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    FB Monica Smith -- she is very knowledgeable about ratties!
    Will do right now!! Thank you!!

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Monica has been providing excellent (and fast) info. Thank you Maura!!!

Please tell them to put their Baytril away. It will NOT work.

All human antibiotics are tested on rats so my assumption is that antibiotics that we use are safe for rats.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Please tell them to put their Baytril away. It will NOT work.

All human antibiotics are tested on rats so my assumption is that antibiotics that we use are safe for rats.
    Very interesting.

We were just advised to use BOTH Baytril and Clavamox together. And, since he seemed to be responding to the hydration and food that possibly only the Baytril would be needed. It should be tried for a couple days and if progress is not being seen then to add the Clavamox.

It was to late for that though, the Baytril went in before I even got the call and the moment I said Monica came back and said about the Clavamox it was in.

Monica also mentioned that due to their metabolisms being so high they can handle a strong dose of meds so we were advised to be generous and to make sure we are not underdosing and no matter what; not to give up.

Mr Rat is resting now. He's got Metacam, Baytril and Clavamox on board. He ate some watermelon and an egg yolk and got a nice long drink, built himself a little nest, munched on the watermelon again and then went to take a nap.

It's so sad that the owners don't care, cause he's "just a rat". Yeah well your offspring is "just a kid"...wonder how they'd feel about that. Grrrr.