Thread: Bad UTI?

BenJammin Guest

Default Bad UTI?

Hi people,

This is my first post. I have a one year old grey squirrel. I noticed today when clipping her nails that she had puss-looking stuff coming from her privates. I wiped it away, and clipped the area around her privates to keep it clean, but I noticed later she had more coming out of where her pee normally does. I'll attach a picture. I'm worried this is a UTI, she has had lots of fruit lately and hasn't been drinking too much of her water. She doesn't strain to pee, but she does have accidents sometimes where she'll leave a small line of urine. She normally just pees in her cage. Lately she's been going everywhere.

She's 14 ounces and eats a variety of rodent block, veggies, fruit, and a couple nuts a day. As well as some branches, flowers, pine cones, and things that I find around the neighborhood.

There has been a male squirrel running around her outside cage trying to get in, but she has stayed far away from him. He was scared off by a dog and hasn't had contact with her in a couple days.

-Ben

BenJammin Guest

Default Re: Bad UTI?

Sorry about the blurriness, it was hard to maneuver everything at the same time. This was post hair clipping, so it may look like it's swollen around her area.
    This picture is only a little bit, earlier it was there was more and very prevalent.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BenJammin Guest

Not trying to be hasty, but if anyone can give me advice or info on this I would be really relieved. I am very concerned about my squirrel girl.

This may be her first "heat." Can you get a better pic of the privates? Are they at all swollen? They often are when they come into season. The fact that a male is trying to get to her is compelling, too. How is she otherwise? Have you seen any personality changes? They can get moody, too.

If it is a UTI, and based on what you have said so far I am not convinced yet, the best med that you might be able to reasonably get would be Cipro. It is prescribed for close to 100% of UTIs in humans, and it works REALLY FAST so despite what they are told, many people don't finish their prescriptions. If I were you I would ask around just in case - you only need one pill. We would tell you how to do it - very specific directions. But of course if this is just a hormonal seasonal thing, she doesn't need meds, just a little time.

can the male get his..penis in the cage?

could this be heat or a sperm plug?
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

BenJammin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    This may be her first "heat." Can you get a better pic of the privates? Are they at all swollen? They often are when they come into season. The fact that a male is trying to get to her is compelling, too. How is she otherwise? Have you seen any personality changes? They can get moody, too.

If it is a UTI, and based on what you have said so far I am not convinced yet, the best med that you might be able to reasonably get would be Cipro. It is prescribed for close to 100% of UTIs in humans, and it works REALLY FAST so despite what they are told, many people don't finish their prescriptions. If I were you I would ask around just in case - you only need one pill. We would tell you how to do it - very specific directions. But of course if this is just a hormonal seasonal thing, she doesn't need meds, just a little time.

It doesn't seem swollen to me, if you look at the pictures, sometimes it is less and sometimes it is more. This is the first I am seeing of it.
    Her mood and personality have not changed at all, she is very active and playful. Her sleep schedule is normal. She cleans herself, I just haven't seen her clean herself 'down there' very much. We give her baths regularly every few weeks. What do you think?

Also, I would like to say that in a million years, I never thought I would be taking pictures of a squirrel's 'goods.'

BenJammin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    can the male get his..penis in the cage?

could this be heat or a sperm plug?

The male could get his stuff through the chicken wire, but she is extremely skittish around all animals including other squirrels. She never went near him, additionally she had supervision out there. If he got too close, she went in her nesting box until he left.

After researching mating plugs in squirrels, I'm doubtful. If you could look at the pictures and tell, let me know.

This sounds like what I deal with with my girl.It only when in heat she will be 4 in
    march been the last year and half like this. I took her to the vet test were fine. Round of meds didn't seem to change. Just had to run its coarse. Just need to keep a eye on it you may have to do warm soaks with a tissue.The goo will crust her shut.This is a pitc. of her last time.
    This is just my experience with my girl not saying its the same with yours.

BenJammin Guest

Thank you for all of the help.
    I will continue to monitor the situation and do the soaks. How often would you suggest it be done? How long did it last?

If anyone else had any input, I will gladly accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by BenJammin View Post
    Thank you for all of the help.
    I will continue to monitor the situation and do the soaks. How often would you suggest it be done? How long did it last?

If anyone else had any input, I will gladly accept it.
    I just keep a eye on her and you can tell if it crust over.
    you will be able to tell by looking. just watch her pee to make sure its a stream.
    first time for me she got to the point she just dripping.
    first time it was a few weeks. The last time was only 2 or 3 days.
    Like I said this is just my girl hope others will have more input.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.