Thread: Squirrel Pox in Pinkies

backyardfeeder Guest

Post Squirrel Pox in Pinkies

The wildlife rehabber I volunteer with wanted me to ask if any of you have seen squirrel pox in pinkies (hers are 5 days old) , and if so how did you treat it. Thanks.

Default Re: Squirrel Pox in Pinkies

Could we possibly see a closeup pic? The reason I ask is that various staph infections can look a lot like pox -- I just had a 5-day old with a similar condition -- but are actually not.

If it is pox and there are not too many lesions already, a course of acyclovir can stop the pox in its tracks. We can help the rehabber dose for that.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

backyardfeeder Guest

Thank you so much. No pics. After I posted the note this a.m. (I posted the note incorrectly yesterday and it never came up) my rehabber told me this a.m. that the pinkie died last night, so covered with bumps that it was more pox than squirrel. It only weighed 14 grams. I'll pass along your staph infection info. I hope your 5 day old made it thru. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by backyardfeeder View Post
    Thank you so much. No pics. After I posted the note this a.m. (I posted the note incorrectly yesterday and it never came up) my rehabber told me this a.m. that the pinkie died last night, so covered with bumps that it was more pox than squirrel. It only weighed 14 grams. I'll pass along your staph infection info. I hope your 5 day old made it thru. Thanks again.
    As a matter of fact, he didn't -- he died after 3 days. I don't believe it was pox, but I'd love to have known whether your rehabber's baby had the same thing. Could you ask them if the bumps were wart-like and very uniform, or more like whiteheads (zits) on a person?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

backyardfeeder Guest

Hi. I am sorry to hear about your pinkie. I just sent you a private message but here is good to. Could you please call my rehabber Hope at Wild Baby Rescue in Blairstown NJ, 908 362-9453. She would love to discuss staph med dosage for the pinkies. Plus you can then ask about her pinkie and exactly what the bumps looked like. If you rather she contact you you can send me your contact info via here or private message. Thanks so much.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.