Thread: I need to find a rehabber ASAP

rzurovec Guest

Exclamation I need to find a rehabber ASAP

Just got back in town to a sad thing. Momma squirrel was found dead under a palm tree on Saturday - we got home late yesterday and there were 2 tiny babies on the ground. One was dead and the other was cold. The cold one died in my hands as I was trying to warm it. Fast forward to today, 2 more were found this morning both were really cold. Got them warmed up, one was really weak and did not survive long. The other is doing well. About an hour later they found another. They are falling from a palm tree that is approximately 30-40' tall. The 2 I have now seem pretty strong. Got some Pedalite and have some kitten formula. I really need to get them to a rehabber. I have a house full of cats and dogs and I am not able to stay with them all day. I am a Real Estate appraiser and I am out on the road for long periods throughout the day. I am in deep South Texas, San Benito, TX to be exact. I need to find a rehabber. I have called local parks (am friends with rangers from all the parks and all wished me luck raising my squirrels. To our knowledge there is no rehabber around here. Please I need help. I am going to be out on the road for at least 7 hours tomorrow and I can't leave them here and can't take them with me to clients homes. They would be alone too long and I honestly have too many pets. HELP!!!

Default Re: I need to find a rehabber ASAP

i was able to find this person on the TPWD website i think they are near San Benito, Tx... you can try them Hines DVM, Ronald 512-730-0311 (8a-8p) or email at yourpetsfriend@gmail.com

Thank-you Squirreleesi!!!

lovesmice Guest

There is a category titled, "Rehab Information and Locations" on the Board that you may find of use. Island rehabber posted a reply to the thread, "Complete List of Wildlife Rehabbers" in this category in which she added links to wildlife organizations. Also, rehabber replied with a site specific to Texas.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...life-Rehabbers
    Complete List of Wildlife Rehabbers
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/list/
    Texas - Wildlife Rehabilitators by County
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/f...-and-Locations
    Rehab Information and Locations

Thank you for putting your time and effort into saving these little ones. I hope you find someone to take them soon from the sites other members previously posted.

rzurovec Guest

I just found that number and also one in nearby Hidalgo County I will drive them there if they can take them. Thank you so much. The two are holding their own right now but I know they will be better off with someone that can give them the care they need.

rzurovec Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovesmice View Post
    There is a category titled, "Rehab Information and Locations" on the Board that you may find of use. Island rehabber posted a reply to the thread, "Complete List of Wildlife Rehabbers" in this category in which she added links to wildlife organizations. Also, rehabber replied with a site specific to Texas.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...life-Rehabbers
    Complete List of Wildlife Rehabbers
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/list/
    Texas - Wildlife Rehabilitators by County
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/f...-and-Locations
    Rehab Information and Locations

Thank you for putting your time and effort into saving these little ones. I hope you find someone to take them soon from the sites other members previously posted.
    I wish I was able to care for them. I know rehabbers usually have their hands full. I just hope one of them can take them.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 07-28-2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: quote correction

lovesmice Guest

I know it is still early, but any news if either rehabber can take them? I am sure they will help you find someone else if they cannot. Rehabbers move mountains to get care for an animal.

It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation, and the squirrels will be fine until you place them. I have never rehabbed a squirrel either; just mice. I do love to feed my locals, though.

rzurovec Guest

Smile Re: I need to find a rehabber ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by lovesmice View Post
    I know it is still early, but any news if either rehabber can take them? I am sure they will help you find someone else if they cannot. Rehabbers move mountains to get care for an animal.

It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation, and the squirrels will be fine until you place them. I have never rehabbed a squirrel either; just mice. I do love to feed my locals, though.
    Great news found a local rehabber and both babies are with her. I got up with them every two hours last night. So glad they are with someone that can give them the level of care that I can't. I got her the babies with some supplies and a donation. I know they work so hard and do most of it with their own money. She says she will keep me updated and I will get updates to you guys as I get them. Thanks to the administrators of this site and those that responded to me.

lovesmice Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rzurovec View Post
    Great news found a local rehabber and both babies are with her. I got up with them every two hours last night. So glad they are with someone that can give them the level of care that I can't. I got her the babies with some supplies and a donation. I know they work so hard and do most of it with their own money. She says she will keep me updated and I will get updates to you guys as I get them. Thanks to the administrators of this site and those that responded to me.
    Yay-that is great news indeed! Thank you the update. Thank you, too, for all you did in not only saving them initially, but in caring for them throughout the night. I am sure this helped tremendously.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.