Thread: Why I never travel...MBD EMERGENCY...HELP!

Default Why I never travel...MBD EMERGENCY...HELP!

Okay, my male 3-year-old Fox Squirrel was in the care of a professional pet sitter (in my/his home), while I was forced to travel for a book signing. I left detailed instructions, pre-divided meals, etc., but the pet sitter found a bag of pine nuts in my pantry and thought they would be fun to feed him. She did and left it on the counter...he found, stole and ate (as well as hoarded) half that one-pound bag over the days. I came home to him showing signs of MBD (which he has never had before), found out about the pine nuts and immediately began "trying" to treat him with Henry's calcium powder. I have removed ALL nuts and seeds from his diet. He appeared to be improving and continues to have good and bad days, but he has decided that ANYTHING sprinkled with calcium powder is the devil. I've tried Tums, but he won't touch them. It's almost like he knows I want him to consume the stuff and is purposely avoiding/suspicious.

His symptoms are as follow (some days worse, some better):
    ...Not using his left front paw when walking (but he will use it to hold food).
    ...Periods of lethargy.
    ...Nails getting caught in anything and everything (wee wee pad, stuffed animals, furniture)
    ...Refusal to eat his fruits and veg, and being picky about his Henry's picky Bites - nibbling rather than consuming (he's holding out for a damn pine nut and I refuse to give in).
    ...Very little nibbling of greens, yet looking around as if he's hungry. He does have an appetite, but he is refusing the good stuff.

My BIGGEST issue is, I can't get the calcium into him. I even tried making him little frozen candies out of calcium, coconut oil and EVEN A BIT OF COCONUT SUGAR), then pipping it into little candy shapes.

Ugh...I'm just sick over this and while he's holding his own and not getting worse, he certainly isn't getting better. HELP!!! How can I get the calcium into him. I have tried everything I can think of.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Why I never travel...MBD EMERGENCY...HELP!

For my squirrel I mushed up the tums in some avocado and she ate it.
    I read on here that puppy pee pads have toxic stuff in them. If that is what you have in there get it out immediately.

My wee wee pads are material/washable. I get them from the hospital supply store. As for the avocado, that's how I got him to take it at first and now he won't. Thank you though...any suggestion anyone has is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sandycheeks View Post
    For my squirrel I mushed up the tums in some avocado and she ate it.
    I read on here that puppy pee pads have toxic stuff in them. If that is what you have in there get it out immediately.
    Good catch! Yes, get rid of the pee pads.

Have you ever tried feeding her Ensure? The meal replacement shakes? I would try first without calcium and if she takes them, start adding small amounts at a time to the Ensure. One way or the other, she needs the calcium, even if it is a wrestling match.

What was her diet before? As bad as pine nuts are, I find myself questioning whether they would bring on MBD that fast. They need to be out of her diet completely, forever, BTW.

How long were you away and your squirrel in the care of another? I think that, and her normal diet while you are there, is very important to help eliminate other potential causes like a fall or injury that may have occurred while you were away.

And how long has the stalemate occurred (your not giving nuts and her not eating her veggies and block)?

No, I haven't tried Ensure. His diet was very detailed...fantastic. My squirrels are typically raised and released. This little guy couldn't be and has been with me for three years. I've never had a case of MBD before. I can only blame the pine nuts and the large amount consumed in a sort while. He eats...2 Henry's Picky bites in the morning, a variety of greens throughout the day. Later a piece of apple or sometimes avocado...the list goes on. I'm a licensed wildlife rehab'r and worked in veterinary for years...I say this just to give you all a little background and to say, I'm not completely new to this. As for the wee pads...they're the washable kind and he never chews them anyway. They're more like a towel than a wee pad.

I was gone for 9 days...been back for two weeks. Stalemate began about 3 or 4 days into treatment, two weeks ago. Again, his normal diet is near guaranteed, not the issue. I am textbook with his diet. This happened while I was gone. Pretty clearly MBD and not a fall (though anything is possible, I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    How long were you away and your squirrel in the care of another? I think that, and her normal diet while you are there, is very important to help eliminate other potential causes like a fall or injury that may have occurred while you were away.

And how long has the stalemate occurred (your not giving nuts and her not eating her veggies and block)?

I guess, my focus right now is how to get the amount of calcium necessary into him without having to drag him to a vet and terrify him when he's already not feeling well. If that is the best solution, please advise.

Brooklyn, the goal is to get a defined amount of calcium into your baby throughout the day so that the calcium level stays up. The amount of calcium in each dose isn't large so have you considered using a syringe to 'blast' the calcium into his mouth in a small amount of water. If he won't take it willingly you might have to resort to force.

I doubt the MBD is severe in 9 days. I don't think the bones could have eroded to the degree that long term MBD sufferers experience.
    Of course, it is true that the pine nuts with a calcium: phosphate ratio of 1:36 is just about the worst food he could have consumed.
    I think this is more a case of a classic 'metabolic syndrome' where the calcium levels dropped so low that you are seeing the classic signs of MBD. Hopefully this can be normalized in a much shorter time frame than full blown MBD.

As far as the diet, you will just have to hold the line. Now that he has tasted pine nuts, he will resist the good stuff but I'm sure you can enforce the 'tough love' that will inevitably be needed.

Yes, I was just reading some vet journals and they mentioned that you can start to see signs in only one week of poor diet...yikes! Thank you so much...can you please give me the dosage amounts (per dose and how many) you recommend). I want to be sure I'm remembering correctly. Is it 500mg for the first day and 100mg each day after as maintenance?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Brooklyn, the goal is to get a defined amount of calcium into your baby throughout the day so that the calcium level stays up. The amount of calcium in each dose isn't large so have you considered using a syringe to 'blast' the calcium into his mouth in a small amount of water. If he won't take it willingly you might have to resort to force.

I doubt the MBD is severe in 9 days. I don't think the bones could have eroded to the degree that long term MBD sufferers experience.
    Of course, it is true that the pine nuts with a calcium: phosphate ratio of 1:36 is just about the worst food he could have consumed.
    I think this is more a case of a classic 'metabolic syndrome' where the calcium levels dropped so low that you are seeing the classic signs of MBD. Hopefully this can be normalized in a much shorter time frame than full blown MBD.

As far as the diet, you will just have to hold the line. Now that he has tasted pine nuts, he will resist the good stuff but I'm sure you can enforce the 'tough love' that will inevitably be needed.

Here is the link to the MBD treatment protocol.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-MBD-Treatment

Because your case isn't from long term poor diet, you might want to adjust your doses accordingly but YES, 500mg is the starting dose.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Here is the link to the MBD treatment protocol.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-MBD-Treatment

Because your case isn't from long term poor diet, you might want to adjust your doses accordingly but YES, 500mg is the starting dose.

Just wanted to post this information that another member has posted.
    Please take note if you are using Tums.

Tums has changed some of their dosing and labeling. What it says on the label may NOT be what you think! Below is a sort of pictorial guide to the actual elemental calcium contained in the new Tums formulas. NOTE: People may have older versions of Tums, which might have different labeling/dosing, so check carefully and have them read the back label, including what the serving size is. The amount of elemental calcium listed on the back may well be for either ONE or TWO tablets.

Attachment 249584 Contains 200 mg calcium per tablet

Attachment 249585 Contains 300 mg calcium per tablet

Attachment 249586 Contains 400 mg calcium per tablet

Back label for Tums Regular:
    Attachment 249588

Back label for Tums Extra 750:
    Attachment 249589

Back label for Tums Ultra 1000:
    Attachment 249587

Thank you! I have the Ultra berry flavor and I also have regular calcium powder from Henry's. I might try switching back to the Tums. Ultra's say 100mg, so I have offer half, crushed and diluted into doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Just wanted to post this information that another member has posted.
    Please take note if you are using Tums.

Tums has changed some of their dosing and labeling. What it says on the label may NOT be what you think! Below is a sort of pictorial guide to the actual elemental calcium contained in the new Tums formulas. NOTE: People may have older versions of Tums, which might have different labeling/dosing, so check carefully and have them read the back label, including what the serving size is. The amount of elemental calcium listed on the back may well be for either ONE or TWO tablets.

Attachment 249584 Contains 200 mg calcium per tablet

Attachment 249585 Contains 300 mg calcium per tablet

Attachment 249586 Contains 400 mg calcium per tablet

Back label for Tums Regular:
    Attachment 249588

Back label for Tums Extra 750:
    Attachment 249589

Back label for Tums Ultra 1000:
    Attachment 249587

Okay, I had my vet call in a prescription to a local compounding pharmacy (even though it's just calcium carbonate, they won't compound without a prescription). They're concentrating it so that one tiny drop = 100mg. That way I can dose him throughout the day and it will easy be soaked into his food. They're making it flavorless and like a water base, not an oil. I think this should work. Thanks for all of your suggestions...fingers crossed!

How great to have a cooperative vet! I am hoping that this is a temporary condition and will not take as long to reverse as years of poor diet will do.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

It sounds like a perfect solution.
    Good luck to you! Let us know how things work out.

I want to thank everyone for jumping in and helping the other day. My boy is doing FANTASTIC! He's already walking on his paw and acting much more lively (trying to tell a squirrel who is feeling better to take it easy is not an easy task...lol). He'll be taking slowly decreasing amounts of calcium for a good long while, so we're not done yet, but he's making speedy improvements. And yes, I am EXTREMELY lucky to have such an amazing vet. I actually have two...one for emergency (nights, holidays, etc.) and my regular vet...both are very good to us. I'm a wildlife rehabber, so they see me constantly and know me well. And now I've met the coolest compounding pharmacist...he really did everything to simplify the calcium delivery for me. It's flavorless and water based so he has no clue it's on his food. So we're on the mend here. The issue was caught early and the worst is now over. I'll update as we forge ahead.

Thank you!!!

Name:  Willow - iPhone6 Test (square).JPG
Views: 23
Size:  107.5 KB

Good job, Brooklyn - so glad your boy is feeling better!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I very happy for you and your boy!

And you taught me that MBD can present much quicker than I realized and I will remember.