Thread: My little orphan Chance is being bullied!

Tammy Guest

Default My little orphan Chance is being bullied!

Hi Guys- Im not getting much sleep these days. Chance has been released and its been a rollarcoaster ride ever since. Last Tuesday- my hubby was downstairs- let Chance out to play in the front porch- Kevin was feeding the squirrels outside the front door- when he came in Chance was reading and waiting- bolted on a mission out the front door. Kev tried to get him but he didnt want to come in. When I was told the news- I bolted out of bed- and ready to find Chancie- thinking OMG this was suppose to be a soft release and now look what has happened. Well night 1- he slept across the street in the tree that he could see from his enclosure. I could see the siliouette all night. Day 2- Chance is on my property exploring the trees- my hubby brought out his house and he immediately came down from the tree and jumped into his home- even while Kevin was installing it- Chance stayed inside. Day 3- Chance came out of his house- everything ok Day 4- Chance came out of his house- everything ok - Chance and Beau(one of 4 orphans rasied in April 05- released Aug 05- currently has 6 babies occupying duplex house had a little scrap on the front yard. Day 5- Chance was up really really early waiting at front door- came in to get treats with Beau right behind him. Didnt see Chance go into his house on Day 5. Day 6- Saw Chance in garden playing early in morning. Beau's babies were playing on Chances house all-day. At night fall Beaus babies went into Chances house- one possibly 2- when Chance tried to go into his house- Mama Beau chased him but good. Chance backed off then tried again- Beau let him in and then booted him out. Chance tried again and got chased but good and then Beau stretched right out of his balcony. Chancie was crying in the tree. I was very worried, the sun was going down fast. We put up an emergency house close to his other house. He didnt go in and then my son scared the big fat orange cat away from the tree. Day 7- today- I got up at 5:30 and Chancie came right into the front porch. He's back in his enclosure with an access tube to the outside. He will get his bearings and he has a house in there. We are going to build another house and try him in a different area of our yard. Do you's think that Beau is bullying Chance because she wants the whole tree and needed Chances house for her babies? Does she want that whole tree- its actually 12 trees fairly close together? Do you think she will always pick on Chance? I don't like this part- this releasing thing, especially with an orphan. Any advice anyone?

Buddy'sMom Guest

Default Re: My little orphan Chance is being bullied!

WOW! What a week you've had! I don't envy you the rollercoaster ride -- but remember it well. For what it's worth, Chance is probably weathering it better than you are.

Day 1 - My understanding is that they look around from their nest(enclosure) an "memorize" the trees -- so the tree he slept in likely seemed familiar and safe to him (even though you looked over and saw only your poor baby without a proper place to sleep ).

Eviction - That's interesting (easy for me to say, right? ) about the youngsters moving into Chance's box and kicking him out -- these are "teenager" squirrels just leaving their Mom's nest? Interesting that they are so bold, so young. We had a new Mom-with-newborn evict our 6 month old from his box and that baby (now a 14 week female) seems to be pretty much running everyone else off the tree. What we saw here is that the new Mom wouldn't let ANYone in the tree -- at all -- until just recently (and now just lets other females come up).

So that whole tree may not be Chance's any more. If there is another location for him in your yard, the only trick is getting him to use it. You mentioned that he didn't go near the emergency box. Is it possible that you could put that one up in the original tree for the babies and move Chance's to his new location? It might be more attractive to him because it will have his scent. We had that dilemma also -- willing to build Buddy a new home, but how do you tell a squirrel "OK, this one is yours, please go live in it now. You'll really like it here." ?

Oh. We also had to watch the bullying stuff -- very very hard not to step in. We did a couple of times in the beginning. They eventually worked it out.

Best of luck!

Tammy Guest

Just another little note- On day 5 and Day 6- Chance was very clingy when he came into the front porch for a visit- He even cried when I took him from my hubby- and he snuggled in the pocket of my fleece winter coat with his little head sticking out- He just relaxed and closed his eyes. Kevin went home to check on Chance today- he came out of his house to snuggle and then went back for a nap- he's probably exhausted don't you think.

I sure hope everything works out for Chance, this story is breaking my heart. Poor little guy. Maybe anything you can put in the other house with his and your scents on it to encourage him to move into the new location. It is just so hard to explain to them.

Let us know how things progress.

Poor Chance...what a week! As others have said I'm sure it will work itself out, although there very well may be a few scratches & nipped ears before it's all over. Remember that in the world of squirrels, females are bigger, heavier and bossier than the males. When SHE says "it's my tree", the rule generally stands for as long as she says it does. The boys, bless their hearts, are programmed to know this.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Buddy'sMom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy
    Just another little note- On day 5 and Day 6- Chance was very clingy when he came into the front porch for a visit- He even cried when I took him from my hubby- and he snuggled in the pocket of my fleece winter coat with his little head sticking out- He just relaxed and closed his eyes. Kevin went home to check on Chance today- he came out of his house to snuggle and then went back for a nap- he's probably exhausted don't you think.
    Poor Chancie! This is EXACTLY how Buddy acts when he returns from a tough time out in the wild. We call it his R&R time and just try to give him all the snuggling he needs to get ready to go again (NOT a tough task, mind you ). Sometimes all he wants to do is lay in my husband's arms. And sleep, sleep, sleep. Buddy is much further along in adapting to the outdoors so at this point we rather think he is out carousing or something , but he, too, comes home utterly exhausted.

Chance knows EXACTLY where to come to get some goodies and some attention from mom and dad!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.