Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abscess treatment info

Default Re: Abscess treatment info

Gayle I'm going to put a copy of this thread into the newly created "Abcesses" section of the Special Ailments Forum. First, I have to create that section....then I'll put this thread there.

EDIT: All done -- that was easier than I thought.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 06-21-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Wow.. So she is finally healing from the abscess?

How does the ecoli get in there? My little girl that died had ecoli and staph IN the pus
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

It seems that ecoli is more common than I ever thought it was. The vet was not at all surprised by it. Boo Kitty also had it in the infection of his paws. They have absolutely no contact though and the vet assured me that one likely had nothing to do with the other.

Default Re: Abscess treatment help needed

Have you tried natural remedies? Also, where do you live? I can't find a vet to help my squirrel. I live in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Okay, I have my girl Peggy who had a pin in her leg a month or so ago. Since the pin came out, she has had abscesses occurring in the site of the original incision. I have had her first on Baytril at the vet's recommendation, then on Clavamox at my decision, then on Clindimycin at a trusted rehabber's suggestion and now on clindimycin and Clavamox stacked. All of these treatments to no avail.... I just brought her home from having the abscesses cleaned out AGAIN.
    On Monday, when he cleaned them he suggested that the leg be amputated. Today, he suggested it again and explained that he feels there is something more going on in the leg. Perhaps it is a piece of bone that has died and is now causing these issues. I am not happy about creating a 3-legged squirrel so I asked him to send a sample out for a culture. I want to be certain that we are not trying to use ABs that are ineffective against whatever the bacteria is.
    I am looking for suggestions... This little girl is special to me and to Ken, but we are absolutely not in the market for another NR. Sammy has put all four of his feet down firmly on this fact.

Not a vet tech, yet these sources may have applications.

Pycnogenol?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28448268

Over 100 studies over 40 years have been done with Pycnogenol, with clear efficatious results over standard sources of treatment.

It kills salmonella, E. coli bacteria, along withother forms of bad bacteria.

It is available in powder and in liquid also.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi...rds=Pycnogenol

http://organika.com/product/antioxid...ogenol-liquid/

http://abc.herbalgram.org/site/DocSe...pdf?docID=1741

Colloidal Silver?

Abrasions, Cuts and Wounds - Disinfect and Speed Healing
    • •Apply Colloidal Silver directly to the wound and if you are applying a dressing (wrap or bandage) apply a little Colloidal Silver to the dressing as well;
    •As Colloidal Silver will not react with other medications it can be used with another medication.

A homeopathic named "gunpowder", not real gunpowder, is used to open and drain abcesses.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-26-2017 at 06:29 AM.

With Pycnogenol, the research notes the dosages for various issues that were used orally were from 1 mg. to 4 mg powdered extract, this equates in a liquid oral to (0.1 to 0.4) ml by syringe.

Pycnogenol oral was found to support mineralization of bone. it also was found to work much like aspirin without the negative side effects aspirin is known to cause, as well as exceeding it in efficacy for pain.

http://abc.herbalgram.org/site/DocSe...pdf?docID=1741

Pre-clinical Toxicology

The toxicity of Pycnogenol is regarded as very low. The acute toxicity is low after oral administration in mice, rats, and guinea pigs.68 The representative LD50 values are 2.3, 4.2, and 2.0 g/kg,respectively.68 In chronic toxicity tests, oral application of up to 2000 mg/kg/ day in rats did not produce clinically meaningful changes in blood status, body weight, or food consumption. Also, the rats exhibited normal behavior.68 The level of mutagenicity of Pycnogenol was tested with the Ames test, the micronucleus assay in mouse bone marrow cells in vivo, and with the chromosome aberration assay in human lymphocytes in vitro.68 The results suggest that Pycnogenol is non-mutagenic.68

Collodial silver doesn't present an issue in the digestive tract when using it topically on a wound; yet when when given orally it could present a problem by destroying the good gut bacteria along with the bad. Since 80 percent of the immune system in mammals is found in the intestinal tract, this isn't what you want to occur while fighting an infection. Topically this source may be a good option.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-26-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Treatment of abscesses requires medicine Do you have a squirrel with an abscess?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Default Re: Abscess treatment help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy's Luck View Post
    Have you tried natural remedies? Also, where do you live? I can't find a vet to help my squirrel. I live in Minnesota.

Lucy's Luck, you've responded to an old thread but if your squirrel needs help this should be in the Emergency, Help Needed section. I will look and see who we have in Minnesota.....can't think of anyone offhand, though
    In the meantime, Diggies Friend has posted a number of natural remedies for you to try if you're so inclined.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Diggie's Friend (08-26-2017)

I can recommend "Wildwoods Wildlife Rehabiliation" in northern Minnesota; for though not a veterinary, my friend, who knows them personally, and has supported them, tells me they are knowledgeable and humane. There is also another rehabbing group further south.

If you happen to be located in this region, perhaps they can recommend a vet to you? Be aware that since this isn't a legal State to have these animals in one's personal possesion, save for the professionals licensed to do so, not all groups or vets may support those that are brought to them for care for may return them to their first caregiver, or regard their wishes for the animal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12