Thread: Please help, eye issue!!

Default Please help, eye issue!!

Hello, I'm new to this site due to finding two baby pinkies. One was dead on the ground due to falling out of nest and the other I put in a box that I nailed to the tree in hopes that natural mommy would rescue him. The next morning he was still there so I knew I had to feed him. I noticed one eye was bigger than the other... I've had him a week now. He eats good, pee and poop's good. (Yes I stimulate for bathroom use) but to the point, the right eye has gotten to the point that it kinda grosses me out because how it bulges out. Just now starting to get teeth so eyes are not open yet. I've raised all kinds of animal's that have been rejected by mommy's, cat's dogs, goat's, etc. This is my first squirrel baby though. There is no puss blood or leakage from eye but not sure if that's because eye's are still shut. Maybe falling out of nest busted it's eye socket? Maybe he's got an infection from teething. I can't get him into the vet for over a week from now due to not many vet's wanting to see him and one vet telling me he needs euthanized and no way I'm doing that!! So if you have any idea what I can do or why my baby is like this please help me out. Thank you!!

Default Re: Please help, eye issue!!

Hi, I can't help with your issue but be VERY careful seeking medical attention. Please don't give your info if you haven't yet. Many states will just take him from you and that's it. Hoping Ohio's not one but don't know. Do a little checking, see if the vet who will see you is squirrel safe. If not, just tell them he died. (And hoping that will be a LIE!)

I am guessing he has head trauma, maybe swelling that is going to the eye as path of least resistance or that's what got banged. I hope someone who can give good advice reads this soon.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Diggie's Friend (08-05-2022)

I hope I'm doing this right... Thank you for the response even tho you could not help with the eye issue. The vet that my baby is going to see is a family friend. My mom has a farm and he comes to my mom's house for her animals so I'm going to go meet him out there at my mom's house. He would never try to take my lil baby. Anyways, thank you and I'm really hoping someone could give some input on this soon. Thanks again for the response!!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MeganRaye2020:

Diggie's Friend (08-05-2022), tgramsey (08-09-2022)

So glad to hear you have a vet in your corner! Please keep us posted.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Diggie's Friend (08-05-2022)

I still have not had any help or opinions for that matter besides one who was just talking about the vet I'm going to... So if anyone could give me a direction to go. I'm so scared for my little baby. Like I said it looks as if the eye will just pop out when his eyes open. Ty in advance.

Its hard to know exactly what if going on but this sounds like it is a result of trauma. For squirrel head trauma, we have had good results in some cases using prednisone or other steroids to reduce swelling, and inflammation. It is good that he is eating well and pooping/peeing well too. I hope your vet can help you with this. A rule-out would be an infection which would require ABs or other meds to treat. Can you post up a photo of this little one's eye?

Quote Originally Posted by MeganRaye2020 View Post
    I still have not had any help or opinions for that matter besides one who was just talking about the vet I'm going to... So if anyone could give me a direction to go. I'm so scared for my little baby. Like I said it looks as if the eye will just pop out when his eyes open. Ty in advance.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead