Thread: sick in cleveland

2Ware Guest

Default sick in cleveland

I have a extremely urgent issue in cleveland ohio ... hopefully you have a member or two that can help this little guy. he (or she, I think) is pretty friendly. coming right up to the patio door for cookies everyday.

recently his/her hair starting falling out. started on his/her nape, has now moved across the entire body. I am guessing mange. a couple red sores have appeared at the base of the tail yesterday and a couple larger abrasions on the hind quarter. it is apparent his/her scratching has got several infections going!

anyone out there able to help this little guy?

Default Re: sick in cleveland

Is he yours? You can very easily help him yourself and it will cost you less than $10.

If you have a Tractor Supply near you, you can purchase a tube of 1.87% ivermectin in the horse worming section. If you go to: http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...erm=ivermectin

Items 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8 are all exactly the same product and all would work. There are a bunch of companies that make this - all you want is the 1.87% ivermectin with no other meds added to it. They will usually all be called "something or other"mectrin.

If this is something you would like to do I will tell you how to administer it. It is very easy but you need to follow directions. Pick up some pecan halves, too. They will be your carrier. Happily, they make this paste to appeal to horses so it is usually apple flavored, which makes it more appealing to squirrels too.

The other thing you will need to be able to do is deliver a dosed nut to one individual squirrel. You cannot just put a pile of them out - the stuff can be overdosed easily and a single squirrel pigging down several dosed nuts would be in trouble.

2Ware Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Is he yours? You can very easily help him yourself and it will cost you less than $10.

If you have a Tractor Supply near you, you can purchase a tube of 1.87% ivermectin in the horse worming section. If you go to: http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...erm=ivermectin

Items 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8 are all exactly the same product and all would work. There are a bunch of companies that make this - all you want is the 1.87% ivermectin with no other meds added to it. They will usually all be called "something or other"mectrin.

If this is something you would like to do I will tell you how to administer it. It is very easy but you need to follow directions. Pick up some pecan halves, too. They will be your carrier. Happily, they make this paste to appeal to horses so it is usually apple flavored, which makes it more appealing to squirrels too.

The other thing you will need to be able to do is deliver a dosed nut to one individual squirrel. You cannot just put a pile of them out - the stuff can be overdosed easily and a single squirrel pigging down several dosed nuts would be in trouble.
    though we do feed several squirrels, this guy is the only regular visitor, and generally eats by him(her)self after coming to the door for hand-outs. so, maintaining a single dosage should be fairly easy. the hard part might be finding a feed store in the middle of cleveland ... but let me see what I can find.

thanks for your ultra-quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Ware View Post
    though we do feed several squirrels, this guy is the only regular visitor, and generally eats by him(her)self after coming to the door for hand-outs. so, maintaining a single dosage should be fairly easy. the hard part might be finding a feed store in the middle of cleveland ... but let me see what I can find.

thanks for your ultra-quick response!
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreLo...ode=&radius=50

Tractor Supply is creeping into the urban areas - they have all sorts of stuff. Any livestock place, feed store, or a place that caters to horses and tack would have this too. Pretty much every horse owner uses it.

lovesmice Guest

Wilson Feed Mill is another place you can look into. It is on Canal Road in Valley View which is not too far from Cleveland. Here is the address and phone number:

http://www.yellowpages.com/cleveland...49?lid=1993049

Nice to meet another Ohioan. My squirrels are Cuyahoga Valley National Park squirrels.

2Ware Guest

Okay ... got a tube!
    and a bag of pecan halves ...

the little guy was waiting for us on the deck when we got back.

so?

what do you recommend as a dosage?

thanks in advance for helping us help him(her)

p.s. humorous anecdote... got the weirdest look from the counter gal at the feed and seed when I said I needed it to treat a sick squirrel ... ("you know this is for horses, right hun?") ... yep!

2Ware Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovesmice View Post
    Wilson Feed Mill is another place you can look into. It is on Canal Road in Valley View which is not too far from Cleveland. Here is the address and phone number:

http://www.yellowpages.com/cleveland...49?lid=1993049

Nice to meet another Ohioan. My squirrels are Cuyahoga Valley National Park squirrels.
    Hi,

yes, I found it at the Lake Shore Feed and Seed on the west side of cleveland ... middle of the inner city, go figure?!

we have three young ones that frequent our back-yard ... the eldest is the sick one.
    I may try and snap a photo or two, if this board allows photo posting?

lovesmice Guest

Glad to hear you found it. I would PM CritterMom (or someone else who has treated squirrels) for dosage. I have treated mice with Ivermectin, but never a squirrel so would not be able to answer from experience.

Yes, photos are allowed. In fact they are required! Well, ok, not really required, but always, always appreciated. Just scale the photo down so it does not take up the entire screen. It takes too long to load. I resize via Microsoft Office Picture Manager to Web Large (640 x 480 px), but there are other methods to use to resize. There is a category on how to post a photo on the Board you can look at if you need help or you can ask.

(Wow, you are only about 30 minutes away from me or rather the store is. I have met several people on here from Ohio, but no one that lived that close. I look forward to seeing the pictures of your little ones.)

lovesmice Guest

p.s. humorous anecdote... got the weirdest look from the counter gal at the feed and seed when I said I needed it to treat a sick squirrel ... ("you know this is for horses, right hun?") ... yep!
    Haha-I know the feeling. Last time I was buying cornbread crackers an older guy asked me if they were any good. (I would think it was obvious due to the fact I had about half a dozen boxes in my cart.) When I replied that yes they were, at least my mice thought so and they were the ones I was getting them for, you never saw anyone push a cart so fast through a crowded grocery store!

Confirm that this tube of Ivermectin is at 1.87% strength?

If so:

You should take a small amount of the paste, only the amount needed to fill this "O" or about half the size of an uncooked piece of rice.

Add that small amount to a pecan or other treat.

You will repeat this dose again in 8-10 days.

Finally, give an identical dose for the third and final time in 8-10 more days.

Ivermectin is very toxic so it is better to give too little rather than accidentally too much.

The first dose kills adult parasites, the second dose kills eggs that recently hatched and the final dose is just fir good measure to insure complete coverage.

Okay ... got a tube!
    and a bag of pecan halves ...

the little guy was waiting for us on the deck when we got back.

so?

what do you recommend as a dosage?

thanks in advance for helping us help him(her)

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

2Ware Guest

thank you,

I'm on it!

I'll keep all y'all posted.

2Ware Guest

hopefully my future photos capture the focus a bit better.

Name:  day1.a.png
Views: 36
Size:  380.8 KBName:  day1.b.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  120.4 KB

as you can see, she hasn't much hair left!

and this is her playmate.

Name:  lil.buddy.png
Views: 51
Size:  445.9 KB

After seeing her buddy, go ahead and begin to treat him - I can see it starting up around his neck.

It takes a few weeks to really see anything starting to heappen, but ivermectin is really effective against this.

lovesmice Guest

Poor baby-she is still a beauty, though. I especially love the picture where she is facing towards you. It looks like she is clapping her hands in delight! Her buddy is a cutie puhtutie, too. Thanks for sharing your sweeties on here.

Wow that's serious... must have been a hard winter for these little ones. Hoping for the best.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

2Ware Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Wow that's serious... must have been a hard winter for these little ones. Hoping for the best.
    over half that hair loss was in a matter of days!

2Ware Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    After seeing her buddy, go ahead and begin to treat him - I can see it starting up around his neck.

It takes a few weeks to really see anything starting to heappen, but ivermectin is really effective against this.
    Name:  lil.buddy.png
Views: 51
Size:  445.9 KB

she (I think it is a she, too) was on the deck this morning for nearly a half hour ... spent probably 25+ minutes of that time scratching, digging and biting herself.

got her dosed though ... at least she won't be as bald as big sister!

2Ware Guest

wow ... that stuff works pretty quick ... the eldest wasn't scratching herself at all!

Name:  day2.a.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  94.7 KB

ut oh ... didn't know they had a THIRD playmate?!

Name:  more.friends.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  74.2 KB

now I gotta figure out which one has NOT been treated???
    probably just need to wait and watch, huh? the untreated one will probably be the one still scratching in a day or two, eh?

If you truly cannot tell them apart, wait a week and dose all three then. You do not want to take the chance you re-dose one early.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Ivermectin is very toxic so it is better to give too little rather than accidentally too much.
    Just reminder / bringing this to your attention....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.