Thread: Squirrel with pneumonia please help

Default Squirrel with pneumonia please help

I have a baby squirrel with pneumonia. We've had him about 3 days and I hadn't managed to get him to drink formula just squirrel blocks. Today he started to eat the formula but since he wasn't used to it he immediately aspirated. It's about 5 hours later and now he is clicking and breathing through his mouth. Please help I feel just absolutely horrible and completely at fault. He has fur, eyes open, weighs about 190 grams. I have liquid suspended amoxicillin, 40mg/ml . I called a few emergency vet clinics but because we don't have a license (apparently it's illegal here in PA) they won't even see him. I don't know what to do, and any help is appreciated

Default Re: Squirrel with pneumonia please help

Amox dosage.

Not sure about liquid amoxicillin, however the pills are as follows:

You take ONE 500 mg. of Amoxicillin and crush that into a very fine powder.

Place this into a small container with a lid.

To that you are going to add 10 mls/ccs of water.

Shake this up really well every time before dosing, and keep this in the refrig. Discard after 10 days.

For a squirrel that weighs 75 grams the dose will be 0.03 TWICE daily for 7-10 days.

Will try to get more info on liquid Amox. If you get a chance, please post a photo... let us know how it's going.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

Also a chance that your little guy is dehydrated, can't hurt to give him the following:

Esbilac or Homemade Pedialyte:

2 cups VERY warm water
    1 TABLEspoon sugar
    1/2 TEAspoon salt
    a drop of apple juice or honey for flavor.

Found this, however the experts are here and will give more specifics:

Just take 1 mL of your full strength suspension (total dose, 50 mg), add 1 and 1/2 mL of water to it. Now you have 2 1/2 mL of liquid at a dose of 20 mg/mL. 5 mg of amoxicillin is now MUCH easier to give, 0.25 mL. You shouldn't reuse the mixed liquid though, just discard. Amoxicillin is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Amox dosage.

Not sure about liquid amoxicillin, however the pills are as follows:

You take ONE 500 mg. of Amoxicillin and crush that into a very fine powder.

Place this into a small container with a lid.

To that you are going to add 10 mls/ccs of water.

Shake this up really well every time before dosing, and keep this in the refrig. Discard after 10 days.

For a squirrel that weighs 75 grams the dose will be 0.03 TWICE daily for 7-10 days.

Will try to get more info on liquid Amox. If you get a chance, please post a photo... let us know how it's going.

Thanks S.

Quote Originally Posted by lnswiger View Post
    I have a baby squirrel with pneumonia. We've had him about 3 days and I hadn't managed to get him to drink formula just squirrel blocks. Today he started to eat the formula but since he wasn't used to it he immediately aspirated. It's about 5 hours later and now he is clicking and breathing through his mouth. Please help I feel just absolutely horrible and completely at fault. He has fur, eyes open, weighs about 190 grams. I have liquid suspended amoxicillin, 40mg/ml . I called a few emergency vet clinics but because we don't have a license (apparently it's illegal here in PA) they won't even see him. I don't know what to do, and any help is appreciated

The dosage for Amoxi. at 40 mg/ml for a 190 gram squirrel is 0.095 twice daily for 7 days
    Always remember to give probiotics 2 hours prior OR 2 hours after giving any antibiotic.
    Thank you Bravo.

Holy moley. If I could invent a time machine and go back I would give Alexander Fleming a giant hug. This poor squirrel was sick and in all probability dying an hour ago. .08cc of amoxicillin later he leaped out of bed and began running around the room in his typical squirrel fashion. Just fed him some yogurt to counteract the amoxicillin, and he slurped it up. No more clicking, wheezing, or sneezing. I'll keep a very very close eye on him and continue the amoxicillin regiment, but so far he is 1000% better. Thank you all so much for your immediate response and help.

Whoa... all our emergencies should respond half as quickly! Hoping your little one will improve from here... let us know how it goes. Thanks N.

So happy to read this update. I hope he continues to improve. Please continue to keep us updated. TSB use to shock me how quickly other rehabbers would respond but now I know this place is frakking awesome. Everyone here is so helpful and they really care.

I also have a squirrel who has pneumonia. I posted earlier but haven't gotten much help. I read amox was not good for squirrels? I have some amox on hand. I also have some Bactrim. I didn't want to wait much longer so I gave him some Bactrim this morning and again tonight. The clicking seems to be getting quieter and he seemed slightly more "lively" tonight. Still appeared to be in discomfort though. When would I notice an improvement? Should I stick with Bactrim or is amox better? I am so worried we will lose him. He is so special to us. I am estimating he is 8-10 weeks old. He is a red squirrel and weighs 1.6oz. Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MKsyniak View Post
    I also have a squirrel who has pneumonia. I posted earlier but haven't gotten much help. I read amox was not good for squirrels? I have some amox on hand. I also have some Bactrim. I didn't want to wait much longer so I gave him some Bactrim this morning and again tonight. The clicking seems to be getting quieter and he seemed slightly more "lively" tonight. Still appeared to be in discomfort though. When would I notice an improvement? Should I stick with Bactrim or is amox better? I am so worried we will lose him. He is so special to us. I am estimating he is 8-10 weeks old. He is a red squirrel and weighs 1.6oz. Any help is appreciated.
    Nancy in New York asked questions in your thread in order to help you. Here is the link: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...14#post1100414

Medications are dosed based on the squirrel's weight in grams and the strength of the medication.
    So, in order for someone to help you dose the med. you need to provide your squirrel's weight in grams and the strength/form of the med.

Amoxy can be given to squirrels, but in order to dose it you need to post its strength, form (pill, capsule etc). And again, need the sq's weight in grams.

It is important to have weight in grams b/c weight in grams is more accurate than weight in oz. Although some ppl tried to use weight in oz, it is not as precise as weight in grams. So, try to get your sq's weight in grams.

When you say that you gave him bactrim, how did you dose bactrim?
    Again, in order to calculate bactrim dosage you need to know weight in grams and bactrim's strength and form (e.g., form: liquid, pill, etc.).

If your bactrim was not calculated based on the above, you may not be giving the correct dosage.
    Incorrect dosage can lead either to overdosing, or it may not be very effective and may result in developing resistance to the med (which means it won't be as effective).

So, could you please post how you dosed bactrim and how you administered it (how far apart the doses were etc.)?
    Also, it will be best if you keep all of your info in the thread that you started in which Nancy in New York replied to you - the link I posted above.
    When you post your questions in other people's threads, like here, your questions can get lost.

Also, 2 hours before or after the dose you have to give your squirrel some kind of probiotic, b/c abs disrupt gut flora, which may lead to other problems.
    For probiotics you can give yogurt (just avoid with sugar), or benebac.

Thank you for this information! I am new to this board and got lost as to how to see responses for my other postings! 😉 I have spoken to Nancy and have posted my squirrels weight and started him on recommended dose of amox. He seems to have more energy and the "clicking" is become much quieter now. I hope that we are in the clear! Will continue to dose as directed. Thanks for your help. 👍🏻😊

Quote Originally Posted by MKsyniak View Post
    Thank you for this information! I am new to this board and got lost as to how to see responses for my other postings!  I have spoken to Nancy and have posted my squirrels weight and started him on recommended dose of amox. He seems to have more energy and the "clicking" is become much quieter now. I hope that we are in the clear! Will continue to dose as directed. Thanks for your help. 

Thank you astra.
    We have corresponded and MKsyniak got the proper dosing with a photo of the syringe with an arrow showing where to dose this little one. HOWEVER she said she had Amoxi/Clav. so I will have to get this straight that this is what she meant when she posted above.

I also explained about probiotics, and recommended capsules that you pull apart and dose ~ 1/5 of an eraser head top.
    Thank you!

Hi I have a baby squirrel I think has pneumonia. I hear a clicking noise when shes breathing. I have Bactrim 800mg/trimethoprim 160mg. I'm not sure If I can use it to treat her pneumonia. Also if I can I need help with the dosages. She weighs 49g.

Josh, you posted under an older thread that may get over looked. Always best to start your own forum.
    I re-posted your request under: Baby squirrel / pneumonia - Emergency (Life Threatening) Help Needed
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator