Thread: St. Petersburg Squirrel Needs Release Help

Bitsys_Mom Guest

Exclamation St. Petersburg Squirrel Needs Release Help

Good morning! I was given a young Gray Squirrel about two months ago by someone at work, who found her and picked her up and brought her into work and said that he thought it'd be great to let his kids help raise it. Long story short, I asked him what he was going to feed it and he said he had some birdseed, and I took it from him.

I already have one Gray Squirrel (my dear, sweet Bitsy, who is going on 6 years old) and knew it wouldn't be much trouble to house this little one until she got healthy (she was grossly underweight and had a damaged leg) enough to release. However, now that she's ready to go out into the world, I'm way out of my league. I have no way to be able to release her properly and need someone to take over her care from here on out.

Is there anyone in the area who can take over her release? She's a bit on the thin side because she's going nuts in her cage -- she's definitely ready to go. I've done my very best not to cuddle her or touch her or be around her too much, to help her stay as wild as she can be while housed indoors.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Default Re: St. Petersburg Squirrel Needs Release Help

We are in St. Pete. We can help release her. I've got 2 empty cages out back ready for squirrels. we would be happy to help out. Just let me know. I will PM you my number

Bitsys_Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Delo729 View Post
    We are in St. Pete. We can help release her. I've got 2 empty cages out back ready for squirrels. we would be happy to help out. Just let me know. I will PM you my number
    Thanks! Delores and I have set up a time to meet and Daisy will be released to her expert care!

Thank you so much for your help!

Can't help but love reading a happy outcome!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

This is wonderful news. Thanks Delo729.

Bitsys_Mom, you can feel confident that your baby will be in capable, compassionate hands.
    Thank you for helping her get back to the trees.

We can't wait to meet Daisy. And of course I will be sure to keep yall and Bitsys Mom updated with info and pics

I am thrilled that his worked out so fast!~
    Fantastic, nice group effort to get this little one to the trees.

Thank you Delo729 for your very generous offer to release!

You guys both rock the squirrel world! Awesome rescue and now an a we some release offer! Squirrels heroes for certain! !!

Lauren brought Ms. Daisy over yesterday afternoon. she is a sweet sweet baby. She was very cautious of me at first. Understandable. She's super vocal. She's told me how it is many times since yesterday. I could tell she really really really missed her mama Lauren after she left. I know her mama misses her very much too. Lauren did an awesome job raising this little. Daisy is out back in a release cage and Mama Lauren also left Ms. Daisy's drey she had built inside a tiny bird cage that we just put right on in the big cage. So of course she snuggled into that last night. Ms Daisy is an excellent eater. Not picky at all. Loves all the good diet stuff and of course her HHB's. She comes inside to a room for out time cause the outdoor cage is only a double stacked critter nation and Lauren was giving her an entire room to roam for hours at a time. I just happen to have a free roam squirrel room too. With supervision of course Today was her second time in that room and I could tell she was getting more use to it. So I am glad I can provide that for her as well. Daisy is very sweet but super territorial. I wonder if she will be the next matriarch of the yard? She certainly has the qualifications. Time to get some new nest boxes I suppose.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.