Thread: Intermittent clicking after feeding

Default Intermittent clicking after feeding

Baby LuLu clicks after some feedings. It doesn't last long, maybe 15-20 mins, and then goes away. This has been going on for days now. I always hold the syringe pointed up and make sure to go slow but I sometimes still see bubbles coming out of her little nose.

She has a very healthy appetite and is warm to the touch. She is acting like her normal self.

My question is, does clicking automatically indicate pneumonia? I have a cipro tablet. Should I start her on it as a precautionary measure or can that cause harm? If I should start her on the cipro, what is the dosage for her? She is a little over 3 weeks and weights 35 grams.

Thanks for anyone's advice.

Default Re: Intermittent clicking after feeding

Yes, this sounds very much like aspiration and is potentially serious.

Good to read that you have Cipro and weight. Deep breaths in the meantime.

(edit) Hoping the below is more specific in your case.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

No, it doesn't always mean pneumonia, especially when it goes away, but...

If she is bubbling at the nose, you need to slow down the feeding even more. And here is a trick - and you will have to decide for yourself whether you feel comfortable doing this: At the first indication that formula has gotten in the nose, tip her upside down - nose pointing straight down, put your mouth around her nose and give a little suck to help gravity drain the milk out before it can get into the lungs and cause trouble.

Pneumonia clicking is *usually* nonstop, accompanied by lethargy, refusal to eat, etc. The clicking comes from the chest, not the nose. Squirrels also make all manner of noises with their mouths.

If it is decided you need to dose her, we will need to know the size of the cipro tab in milligrams.

Also, how large is your feeding syringe?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    No, it doesn't always mean pneumonia, especially when it goes away, but...

If she is bubbling at the nose, you need to slow down the feeding even more. And here is a trick - and you will have to decide for yourself whether you feel comfortable doing this: At the first indication that formula has gotten in the nose, tip her upside down - nose pointing straight down, put your mouth around her nose and give a little suck to help gravity drain the milk out before it can get into the lungs and cause trouble.

Pneumonia clicking is *usually* nonstop, accompanied by lethargy, refusal to eat, etc. The clicking comes from the chest, not the nose. Squirrels also make all manner of noises with their mouths.

I will have her slow down and will definitely try the nose sucking trick if/when it happens again. The clicking sound does seem to be coming from her nose/mouth, not her chest.

If it is decided you need to dose her, we will need to know the size of the cipro tab in milligrams.

Also, how large is your feeding syringe?
    I will return with the milligram size of the cipro when I get me and LuLu home from work.

The syringe is 3 ccs

If you tell me the size of the tab, I will dose it for you. This way if you feel there IS a problem, you will have the info.

OK - 3cc - that is a problem. You really shouldn't be feeding a baby that small with anything larger than a 1cc syringe. The smaller the syringe, the more control you have over the flow of liquid that comes out. Also, a 3cc syringe is far too large to dose cipro with. Do you have or can you get a 1cc syringe? Often, pharmacists will give you one if you tell them you need it to feed a baby kitten or something.

If you tell me the size of the tab, I will dose it for you. This way if you feel there IS a problem, you will have the info.

OK - 3cc - that is a problem. You really shouldn't be feeding a baby that small with anything larger than a 1cc syringe. The smaller the syringe, the more control you have over the flow of liquid that comes out. Also, a 3cc syringe is far too large to dose cipro with. Do you have or can you get a 1cc syringe? Often, pharmacists will give you one if you tell them you need it to feed a baby kitten or something.
    I don't have a 1 cc syringe and the pharmacy in my town is already closed for the night. I will go to the pharmacy tomorrow to get one.

I bet it is! I looked up where you are. I was born in Cut Bank, which normally wouldn't be considered a metropolis unless it was being compared to Darby!

With this last batch of babies I've had I had two that would do that clicking after eating. Even though I know the difference with aspiration pneumonia clicking it still drove me up the wall with paranoia.

CM is correct about the syringe size, you may even notice less of the clicking going on with a slower intake on a 1cc syringe.

At 35 grams how much and how often are you feeding her?
    The rule of thumb is 5-7% which would come to be 1.75 - 2.45 cc's per feeding.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I bet it is! I looked up where you are. I was born in Cut Bank, which normally wouldn't be considered a metropolis unless it was being compared to Darby!
    Haha yes Darby is a booming town with a population of 800 lol

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    With this last batch of babies I've had I had two that would do that clicking after eating. Even though I know the difference with aspiration pneumonia clicking it still drove me up the wall with paranoia.

CM is correct about the syringe size, you may even notice less of the clicking going on with a slower intake on a 1cc syringe.

At 35 grams how much and how often are you feeding her?
    The rule of thumb is 5-7% which would come to be 1.75 - 2.45 cc's per feeding.
    I've been feeding her about 1.75 ccs per feeding every 2-3 hours including during the night. I plan on getting her a 1cc syringe tomorrow hopefully.

The cipro is 250 mg

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    The cipro is 250 mg
    We can provide breakdown and dosing if called for,
    I wouldn't dose without it being necessary.
    We have a vid somewhere with what one can expect
    to hear with aspiration P clicking. I'll try to find and post it.

Here you go:

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/ms..._0318.mp4.html
    Last edited by stepnstone; 05-08-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Thumbs up Re: Intermittent clicking after feeding

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    We can provide breakdown and dosing if called for,
    I wouldn't dose without it being necessary.
    We have a vid somewhere with what one can expect
    to hear with aspiration P clicking. I'll try to find and post it.

Here you go:

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/ms..._0318.mp4.html
    Thank you for posting this video. Her clicking doesn't sound like that. I haven't heard her click all day so I think she was maybe making mouth noises. Also she isn't showing any symptoms of pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    Thank you for posting this video. Her clicking doesn't sound like that. I haven't heard her click all day so I think she was maybe making mouth noises. Also she isn't showing any symptoms of pneumonia.
    Excellent!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

hey even my squirrel has the same problem but now I'm more cautioned I do it drope by drop he gets restless but it's ok mine is an Indian Palm squirrel