Thread: 5-6Week Old Squirrel 36 hrs won't pee but has pooped

Missjennirose Guest

Default 5-6Week Old Squirrel 36 hrs won't pee but has pooped

Hello this is my first Squirrel post, and first rescued squirrel...I found a squirrel less than 36 hours ago in my garage. My friend and I were working on his car and I know squirrels are around the area so when I hear them I don't think anything of it. Little did I know a few hours later I discovered a baby squirrel behind the mat along the wall that was crying very lightly.

I immediately grabbed a cage and some shirts and put it in there. I had been working in the garage for about 5 -7 hrs so this little thing was definitely cold and alone for a while.

I got in flavored pedialite and used my heating pad to keep it warm and feed it. Overall the squirrel was very open to me helping him and feeding him. I googled images and have aged him to be around 5-6 weeks...he's eyes are open and his top front teeth have slightly come in. His tail hair hair out it has not puffed out yet.

Right before dawn I put the squirrel back in the garage because I know the parents wouldn't be looking for it at night time. I left it slightly open so the squirrel or its parents could get in and out if they were to find one another. I left for a few hours to come back and see the squirrel was gone, assuming it's parents found it yay!

BUT a few hours later i came back again to clear the cage and discovered the baby squirrel went into the den and cage I created for him and when he saw me he made a cute little noise and snuggled back up into his ball....

TWO PART QUESTIONS

SO I took him in again, because now I'm not sure if he did find his parents. Since his eyes were open and he was walking ..he's old enough to run around a bit during the day but still too young and may need a parent figure and nursing? I know at this age they still aren't fully aware of all the dangers in the world so I don't want to leave him alone... I'm not 100% sure what to do but I am prepared to raise the squirrel if need be. This is the second night I have fed him pedialyte.

So my other question is. I stimulated his genital area and he did poop....but has yet to pee. I found him at an older age than I feel most people find squirrels ...so if he was raised with his parents till 5-6 weeks will he pee on his own? I've tried multiple times and nothing yet but he has pooped every time I stimluated him after food.

Thank you for reading this and anyone who answers your help is appreciated

Annabelle's papa Guest

Default Re: 5-6Week Old Squirrel 36 hrs won't pee but has pooped

Quote Originally Posted by Missjennirose View Post
    Hello this is my first Squirrel post, and first rescued squirrel...I found a squirrel less than 36 hours ago in my garage. My friend and I were working on his car and I know squirrels are around the area so when I hear them I don't think anything of it. Little did I know a few hours later I discovered a baby squirrel behind the mat along the wall that was crying very lightly.

I immediately grabbed a cage and some shirts and put it in there. I had been working in the garage for about 5 -7 hrs so this little thing was definitely cold and alone for a while.

I got in flavored pedialite and used my heating pad to keep it warm and feed it. Overall the squirrel was very open to me helping him and feeding him. I googled images and have aged him to be around 5-6 weeks...he's eyes are open and his top front teeth have slightly come in. His tail hair hair out it has not puffed out yet.

Right before dawn I put the squirrel back in the garage because I know the parents wouldn't be looking for it at night time. I left it slightly open so the squirrel or its parents could get in and out if they were to find one another. I left for a few hours to come back and see the squirrel was gone, assuming it's parents found it yay!

BUT a few hours later i came back again to clear the cage and discovered the baby squirrel went into the den and cage I created for him and when he saw me he made a cute little noise and snuggled back up into his ball....

TWO PART QUESTIONS

SO I took him in again, because now I'm not sure if he did find his parents. Since his eyes were open and he was walking ..he's old enough to run around a bit during the day but still too young and may need a parent figure and nursing? I know at this age they still aren't fully aware of all the dangers in the world so I don't want to leave him alone... I'm not 100% sure what to do but I am prepared to raise the squirrel if need be. This is the second night I have fed him pedialyte.

So my other question is. I stimulated his genital area and he did poop....but has yet to pee. I found him at an older age than I feel most people find squirrels ...so if he was raised with his parents till 5-6 weeks will he pee on his own? I've tried multiple times and nothing yet but he has pooped every time I stimluated him after food.

Thank you for reading this and anyone who answers your help is appreciated
    Hi, Thank You for looking after this Lil' One, and to The Squirrel Board, it sounds as though you have done everything great so far.

What have you been feeding him and how, I can post a few links to proper feeding techniques, and a healthy diet chart. He is going to need Esbilac powdered puppy milk replacer, and the pedialyte has to be changed to plain water or sugar water and I will list the recipe.

Can you post a photo of the little man, and is the heating pad you are using set on low and half 'under' the cage, this way he can crawl to a cooler section of the cage if he becomes too warm. The normal pooping is good, and he could be ready to pee anytime now, he was probably dehydrated when you found him and his body is still accumulating fluid.

A 1 or 3 cc syringe is used to feed both formula and hydration with, and his head needs to be pointed down and the syringe pointed up to prevent aspiration of fluid into his lungs. You might be using a dropper of some kind, and this is alright for the time being, but his head still needs to be pointed down, and if the dropper was cleaned thoroughly before it was used. You can allow him to lap from a small spoon until you can access a syringe from a drugstore tomorrow, there are small disposable syringes they use to mix medication, and will usually give you one if you tell them it is for a tiny kitten.

There is a lot of time and effort involved in the proper raising of a young squirrel, and there might be a rehabber in your area that can be located if you feel this is what should be done. However, do not contact anyone on your own and tell them you have a squirrel, it could be confiscated from you and euthanized.

Please allow someone from here to locate a rehabber if necessary.

Here is a link for the Esbilac formula, it can be purchased from Tractor Supply Company and most pet supply stores; http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...acer-12-ozores.
    An image at the bottom of this post will show the ingredients of the Esbilac, dried whey protein should be listed as the third ingredient, to insure that you are purchasing an up to date container.

Here is the recipe for plain sugar water, pedialyte shouldn't be offered longer than 24 hours;
    1 cup of warm water
    1 tablespoon of sugar

And here are links to proper feeding techniques, and stimulation procedures;

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...aby-urinating-!

Name:  esbilac-155.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  179.0 KBName:  812eob6DlHL__SL1500_.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  168.7 KBName:  14095_L_vvs_000.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  148.5 KB

Missjennirose Guest

Good new he pees on his own!

I switched to formula today and when it was time to stimulate he got out of my hand for a few seconds as I was grabbing the q-tip. Within 30 seconds he peed on my pillow! ... Which now needs some washing but that's alright.

I don't have a cage for him right now but he's been in a carrier cage sized for a small dog. But I have been letting him out so he can play a little and he seems to like to snug up on me for naps.

I fed him a piece of walnut he loved that and tore it to pieces eating it! I'm not sure how fast I should introduce fruits and foods to him?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Missjennirose; 05-06-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Adding more text

He will definitely need formula for at least another month or so in order for his body to develop properly. Definitely get the Esbilac with probiotics.
    You'll want to make sure he can't escape the carrier he is in and get himself into trouble. Baby squirrels are trouble magnets. Also, if you have other pets in the house (carnivores) the squirrel should not be allowed around them and they shouldn't even know he's there.
    As annabelle's papa said above, baby squirrels are difficult to raise properly and should, ideally, be raised with other babies their same age. If you'd like us to find a trustworthy rehabilitator for you, who can take him and prepare him for his life as a squirrel, just say the word.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.