Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Default Re: Confused

Do u have malases? Give her that is better. Just rub it o her gums and make sure she is hydrated

Mybabypeanut Guest

ALSO.....her little heart feels like its racing. I coated the end of the miracle nipple twice with karo and coated both sides of her little mouth. She hated the idea but i got it in her. She has never had a fall and when she swts in the air she is sitting. She does love to rub her tummy on the carpet or anything she can slide her tummy on when she is feeling better. As i mentioned before the 1/8tsp calcium with D3 made her a new girl. Can I return to that? Please let me know asap. tu tu tu Lord PLEASE let this little baby survive and thrive.

Mybabypeanut Guest

ALSO,,,I should have said she has hardly eaten any veggies. She has eaten her Kaytee blocks. I have henrys on the way....should b here tomorrow.

Mybabypeanut Guest

This is the information under squirrel tales that worked so well on first seizure but I was told to not give D3. I know a lot of this is opposite of what I have read other places. She does have deer antler that she has chewed on once....her blocks and her formula. what could b wrong with this baby? I have a night light reptile bulb would that help? I read to put her under a sun lamp.

Dose as follows: for the first 7 days, give about 1/8 tsp or a little less of calcium once a day (crush tablets to powder); for the second week give dosage for 5 days, for the third week give dosage for 4 days. A good method of giving the dose is to take a couple of slices of ripe avocado, make some cuts across the pieces, then rub the calcium into the cuts- hand feed. They love avocado and it is a good food for them in moderate amounts.
    The first day of treatment, remove ALL seeds, nuts, and corn and give high calcium foods (see Feeding Schedule/Diet for what foods to give). This diet should include a balanced nutritional component such as dry Science Diet for dogs, or better yet, Zupreme Primate Chow, if you can find it (it can be ordered online, one source being squirrelsandmore.com). KayTee Rodent Chow will work also and is more available. DO NOT GIVE HAMPSTER OR GERBIL FOOD. At first the squirrel will not want to eat these foods, but he will eventually, so be firm. Put into the cage with the squirrel a deer antler or dry dog bone from the yard- both are sources of calcium; antler is excellent and the squirrel is more likely to chew the antler, thereby ingesting minerals, than he is to chew the bone.
    During the 4th week, add back into the diet a very small handful of sunflower seeds, a couple of nuts a day, and a small piece of fresh corn (as noted, these foods do have good contributions to make to a diet when they are a small part of the diet, but must be stopped during the initial treatment). By now the squirrel's diet should be supplying the nutritional components, including calcium, that he needs and the suppliment should not be necessary. Give at least one more week for healing before releasing the baby.

I pmed u...pm me back if u got it

Mybabypeanut Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbtartell View Post
    Do u have malases? Give her that is better. Just rub it o her gums and make sure she is hydrated
    I got her to drink most of 10ml esbilac after seizure....should I do the hydration pedialyte also? She had 50 ML today plus the 10ml tonight. Total of 60 ml of esbilac today. She has had s zero interest in water thats in her bowl. She sticks her nose in it and shakes her head to get it off. She is sort of awake now laying here watching me type but has no energy today. She has gone back to sleep under heating pad now. i had it on earlier...its off now but a little warm. she does not like it on low...she will move away.

Mybabypeanut Guest

I pmed u...pm me back if u got it
    I tried to get it but it vanished. said my pop up blocker was on

Quote Originally Posted by Mybabypeanut View Post
    I tried to get it but it vanished. said my pop up blocker was on
    Can u turn it off? I need u to call me. My number is in it. And some instructions. . Basically dont try anything else till morning. Hydrate and molasses. Or kayro. Get her to veta in the morning. And call me please..

Annabelle's papa Guest

[QUOTE=Mybabypeanut;1093695]This is the information under squirrel tales that worked so well on first seizure but I was told to not give D3. I know a lot of this is opposite of what I have read other places. She does have deer antler that she has chewed on once....her blocks and her formula. what could b wrong with this baby? I have a night light reptile bulb would that help? I read to put her under a sun lamp.

Dose as follows: for the first 7 days, give about 1/8 tsp or a little less of calcium once a day (crush tablets to powder); for the second week give dosage for 5 days, for the third week give dosage for 4 days. A good method of giving the dose is to take a couple of slices of ripe avocado, make some cuts across the pieces, then rub the calcium into the cuts- hand feed. They love avocado and it is a good food for them in moderate amounts.
    The first day of treatment, remove ALL seeds, nuts, and corn and give high calcium foods

Hi MBP, this much of these instructions make sense, the rest not so much, it can take several weeks to months to correct deficiencies from MBD. Do you still have a syringe that you can put the crushed tums mixed with a few drops of water to make a concentrated paste, you can inject into the inside of the cheek with this paste. This will supply a stronger dose of the calcium rather than mixing with formula or water. And as was mentioned, please rub a small amount of 'any' syrup onto the Lil' Ones gums.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Can u turn it off? I need u to call me. My number is in it. And some instructions. . Basically dont try anything else till morning. Hydrate and molasses. Or kayro. Get her to veta in the morning. And call me please..
    Amen please get on the phone with jb.

Mybabypeanut Guest

Just gave her 2 doses of mollasses. she getting tired of me messing with her. she snorts me when i irritate her.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Were you able to get jb's number?

She got it.. and will be calling me first thing in morning.. I gave her instructions whzt to do tonight. . Then will go from there in morning, she also has call in to vet thank u annabells pappa

Annabelle's papa Guest

She got it.. and will be calling me first thing in morning.. I gave her instructions whzt to do tonight. . Then will go from there in morning, she also has call in to vet thank u annabells pappa
    Bless and Thank You jbtartell.

Kristi S Guest

Can you describe the seizure? And look on the bottle of D3 to see how much a drop might be?

The risk of too much D3 is that blood calcium levels get too high. Don't give any more to her. If there's a chance you gave her too much D3 (and that chance is very real), I wouldn't offer Tums. She should be getting enough calcium in her formula.

Does she show signs of dehydration? Can you tell if she's been peeing a lot? Does her heart race all the time, or is it inconsistent?

The kind of light she needs to manufacture her own vit. D is in the UVB range, commonly used for reptiles. A night basking lamp for reptiles is usually for heat. I don't know about the sun lamp. But at any rate, the UVB light (or sun) is by far the safest way of "giving" vit. D because it's regulated: the body won't produce more than it needs.

Given her seizures and strange movements, there's a possibility she had some neurological damage before you got her. It's not uncommon for seizures to show up months or years after a traumatic brain injury. I'm glad you are taking her to the vet in the morning.

"a very small handful of sunflower seeds, a couple of nuts a day, and a small piece of fresh corn" I don't know where you got this info, but neither sunflower seeds or corn are good for them. There are much better treats.

Squirrels are wonderful critters, no? They say once one has found you, more will come.

Don't worry too much. She looks like she's in excellent health in most ways. The vet can give you something for seizures if that turns out to be an ongoing problem. It's quite possible she'll get better at grasping and be able to be released. If not, are you prepared to take care of her? Do you want to? It's a responsibility, as you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle's papa View Post
    Bless and Thank You jbtartell.
    right back at ya, kristi, soo true I just got through tellinb her the same thing. Also not to give her any more treatment other than water malases and her formula in the morning. Till vet sees her and I talk to her.. she has to get her stable for now.. hydration and sugar levels are important right now.. and her formula. .also heating pad on low under her carrier or cage. .

Annabelle's papa Guest

Amen Ms. Kristi on the calcium, and I looked back and I don't think any D has been given in the past 24 hours or longer, however molasses is 'loaded' with calcium.

AP molasses is what I recommend for that reason. .. and it seems to work faster to me. .. honey is not good for them. I have always been warned about it...

Annabelle's papa Guest

AP molasses is what I recommend for that reason. .. and it seems to work faster to me. .. honey is not good for them. I have always been warned about it...
    Absolutely jb, in most cases honey can do more harm than good.

Mybabypeanut Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi S View Post
    Can you describe the seizure? And look on the bottle of D3 to see how much a drop might be?

The risk of too much D3 is that blood calcium levels get too high. Don't give any more to her. If there's a chance you gave her too much D3 (and that chance is very real), I wouldn't offer Tums. She should be getting enough calcium in her formula.

Does she show signs of dehydration? Can you tell if she's been peeing a lot? Does her heart race all the time, or is it inconsistent?

The kind of light she needs to manufacture her own vit. D is in the UVB range, commonly used for reptiles. A night basking lamp for reptiles is usually for heat. I don't know about the sun lamp. But at any rate, the UVB light (or sun) is by far the safest way of "giving" vit. D because it's regulated: the body won't produce more than it needs.

Given her seizures and strange movements, there's a possibility she had some neurological damage before you got her. It's not uncommon for seizures to show up months or years after a traumatic brain injury. I'm glad you are taking her to the vet in the morning.

"a very small handful of sunflower seeds, a couple of nuts a day, and a small piece of fresh corn" I don't know where you got this info, but neither sunflower seeds or corn are good for them. There are much better treats.

Squirrels are wonderful critters, no? They say once one has found you, more will come.

Don't worry too much. She looks like she's in excellent health in most ways. The vet can give you something for seizures if that turns out to be an ongoing problem. It's quite possible she'll get better at grasping and be able to be released. If not, are you prepared to take care of her? Do you want to? It's a responsibility, as you know.
    After much discussion and debate with Leigh and Lori we decided to move forward with a 1/4 pill of the calcium/d3 Its 100iu of CD3. She was up in 2 hours scampering everywhere and feeling great. She ate breakfast. Drank 1 part Apple juice to 3 part water (15ml) drank 10 ml of formula, took a 2 hour nap and then got up and ate a bit of brussel sprout and a bit of apple. Played a few hours and took a 2 hour nap. She then got up and is again scampering everywhere being her jolly self. She would not take her dinner yet but I will keep trying. Tomorrow we will drop to 1/8th a pill or 50iu of D3. Its the only thing that stops the seizures for days and stops the lethargy.
    The "a very small handful of sunflower seeds, a couple of nuts a day, and a small piece of fresh corn" I don't know where you got this info, but neither sunflower seeds or corn are good for them.
    I found info in squirrel tales. I knew that was bad advice so she is not getting any nuts for now although she begs for them. Never fed corn. Only the high calcium veggies are offered and rarely touched. She drinks her formula and eats Kaytee blocks. I ordered Henrys....should be here tomorrow. Yes,,,they are AMAZING...of course I think my little baby is the most amazing of all I'm a proud mommy and thrilled she is happy scampering everywhere and not lethargic and seizing. I have to believe she was sent to me from God. I never go to that part of the yard and to have a squirrel get in my lap scared me at first. I never knew that could happen. Thought I must be Dr Doolittle for a minute!!
    My baby has doubled in sizein 2.5 weeks...loves to cuddle and be scratched on by me. Loves to give her daddy love bites and sit on his head. She is my sweet girl and can stay as long as she needs me. Forever if needed. BTW...the ladies also determined she has neuro disorder and vet wants to put her on seizure meds... Any opinions on that medication route? Thank You Everyone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.