Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused

Mybabypeanut Guest

Default Confused

I am new here and new to saving a abandoned baby. I found her in my front yard that is terribly close to the road and I also saw a larger squirrel that had been hit I sat down in the grass to tell her it would be ok and she ran straight to me and got on my knee. I have read everything I can find to make sure she gets the best care. There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet. Im glad I found this board and Henrys.
    I believe she is 7 weeks old now...maybe 8? She is about 6-7 inches long, eyes bright fully furred and adorable. A few days ago I noticed what may have been a seizure. She seemed to have a dazed look and stretched out and not moving. I panicked and jumped on line. I found where someone said she needed Vit D3 liquid so I ran out and got that and gave her a drop. After a couple of hours she was all better. About a week later it happened again and I gave her another drop and read that she needed calcium....I ran out and got that and gave her what the internet said...1/8th teaspoon. then I read that it should be elemental calcium...I ran out and got that. Henrys Leaigh said to give her 1/3rd of a crushed tums until I get the package from Henry's. Yesterday after I gave her the calcium she was full of energy and ran around the house for 10 striaght hours non stop. That was highly unusual as she usually only got up a few hours and slept the rest of the time. TODAY...she is still sleeping after being fed her 20 ML breakfast with her tums dose. Is she just tired from yesterday? Is she sick? PLEASE HELP.... I have had her on formula and rodent block KayTee. Her formula is the goat mild esbilac. 1 scoop with 2 scoop hot water and 1 teaspoon of whipping cream. When I got her she weighed 6 oz and she now weighs 11oz or 312 grams. So she is growing. She looks healthy, bright eyed...but so very lazy. She eats her formula 3 times per day and drinks 20 ML each feeding. I offer her more during the day but she doesnt want it. She has her block, deer antler and maple tree in her sleeping area. I had also given her veggies in a plate but Henrys told me to take that away so I did that today. She ate great this AM but has no interest in getting up...why? She sleeps in a large tote with large felt shawl that encircles her. This is on a pillow covered in felt. During the day she has full run of the house but yesterday was the first day that she was really energetic and was inspecting everywhere...under strict supervision. Am I doing anything wrong? I ordered the blocks from Henrys, their formula and their calcium. What can I do to make her feel better and be more energetic till then or do they sleep this much when this age? Im so worried about her. Thank You. P.S. I feed her last feeding at night in a baby carrier with felt jacket inside and she goes sound asleep....she twitches and also sometimes seems to make a crying sounds when sleeping and seems to be dreaming. It stops when I pet her. Is this normal? Thank you again.

Default Re: Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mybabypeanut View Post
    I am new here and new to saving a abandoned baby. I found her in my front yard that is terribly close to the road and I also saw a larger squirrel that had been hit I sat down in the grass to tell her it would be ok and she ran straight to me and got on my knee. I have read everything I can find to make sure she gets the best care. There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet. Im glad I found this board and Henrys.
    I believe she is 7 weeks old now...maybe 8? She is about 6-7 inches long, eyes bright fully furred and adorable. A few days ago I noticed what may have been a seizure. She seemed to have a dazed look and stretched out and not moving. I panicked and jumped on line. I found where someone said she needed Vit D3 liquid so I ran out and got that and gave her a drop. After a couple of hours she was all better. About a week later it happened again and I gave her another drop and read that she needed calcium....I ran out and got that and gave her what the internet said...1/8th teaspoon. then I read that it should be elemental calcium...I ran out and got that. Henrys Leaigh said to give her 1/3rd of a crushed tums until I get the package from Henry's. Yesterday after I gave her the calcium she was full of energy and ran around the house for 10 striaght hours non stop. That was highly unusual as she usually only got up a few hours and slept the rest of the time. TODAY...she is still sleeping after being fed her 20 ML breakfast with her tums dose. Is she just tired from yesterday? Is she sick? PLEASE HELP.... I have had her on formula and rodent block KayTee. Her formula is the goat mild esbilac. 1 scoop with 2 scoop hot water and 1 teaspoon of whipping cream. When I got her she weighed 6 oz and she now weighs 11oz or 312 grams. So she is growing. She looks healthy, bright eyed...but so very lazy. She eats her formula 3 times per day and drinks 20 ML each feeding. I offer her more during the day but she doesnt want it. She has her block, deer antler and maple tree in her sleeping area. I had also given her veggies in a plate but Henrys told me to take that away so I did that today. She ate great this AM but has no interest in getting up...why? She sleeps in a large tote with large felt shawl that encircles her. This is on a pillow covered in felt. During the day she has full run of the house but yesterday was the first day that she was really energetic and was inspecting everywhere...under strict supervision. Am I doing anything wrong? I ordered the blocks from Henrys, their formula and their calcium. What can I do to make her feel better and be more energetic till then or do they sleep this much when this age? Im so worried about her. Thank You. P.S. I feed her last feeding at night in a baby carrier with felt jacket inside and she goes sound asleep....she twitches and also sometimes seems to make a crying sounds when sleeping and seems to be dreaming. It stops when I pet her. Is this normal? Thank you again.
    The people on this site are very knowledgeable. Hang on and someone that can help will. I'm a new to this myself. Best of luck.

Can you post pics? Can you hold her and if so, is she sensitive (any bruises or sore places?) At first reading it sounds like you've done your homework.

Also, is there any change in her breathing?
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

Kristi S Guest

It's normal for them to dream. Could just be tired after all that running around, unless you think it's very out-of-the-ordinary.

You want to feed Esbilac puppy milk replacer with probiotics, not the goat's milk one, although evidently she's grown quite well on the latter and is going to be weaning anyway.

Im glad I found this board and Henrys.
    I believe she is 7 weeks old now...maybe 8?
    Pictures would be a big help.. plus we are all crazy for squee pics

A few days ago I noticed what may have been a seizure. She seemed to have a dazed look and stretched out and not moving.
    This " could " have been star gazing. or it could have been a normal stretch. I don't have enough experience ( thank GOD ) with neurological disorders. Next time you see this happen.. if you can film it great. If not.. next time you see this happen apply some molasses or maple syrup or honey to the gums of the squirrel. I just saw my first hypoglycemic ( low blood sugar) seizure early this month. I am just not sure if what your describing is normal or not.

I panicked and jumped on line. I found where someone said she needed Vit D3 liquid so I ran out and got that and gave her a drop. After a couple of hours she was all better. About a week later it happened again and I gave her another drop and read that she needed calcium....I ran out and got that and gave her what the internet said...1/8th teaspoon. then I read that it should be elemental calcium...I ran out and got that.
    I would not do that again. I am not knowledgeable enough to add much here.. but too much Vit D3 can kill. I don't THINK you did any long lasting damage here.. but I would not give more. Vit D can be used as a rodenticide.

I have had her on formula and rodent block KayTee. Her formula is the goat mild esbilac. 1 scoop with 2 scoop hot water and 1 teaspoon of whipping cream.
    Good EXCEPT.. Goats Milk Esbilac is not so good. ( though some swear by regular goats milk ) You will want to get her some POWERED Esbilac with pro and pre biotics . Comes in a big canister. That or Fox Valley are the usual preferred formulas for squirrel nutrition. But also.. I think she probably gets enough calcium from her formula and the antler you mention below.

She has her block, deer antler and maple tree in her sleeping area. I had also given her veggies in a plate but Henrys told me to take that away so I did that today.
    Maybe due to her age? what veggies did you give?

She ate great this AM but has no interest in getting up...why? During the day she has full run of the house but yesterday was the first day that she was really energetic and was inspecting everywhere...under strict supervision. Am I doing anything wrong?
    Bedding sounds ok.. but watch the whole house run. That can be VERY dangerous to you and the critter. We hear all sorts of horror stories about spaces you and I don't even know about.. squirrels even die in toilets.. etc. I understand you are supervising.. but most people just squirrel proof a single room.

I ordered the blocks from Henrys, their formula and their calcium.
    if your referring to their MBD kit.. I am not sure I would administer that yet. Wait for others to comment. Too much calcium can hurt just as much as not enough .. and young squirrels with a healthy digestive system who are still on formula are usually NOT having a problem with calcium .

What can I do to make her feel better and be more energetic till then or do they sleep this much when this age?
    That really depends on the age. When they are young that is mostly all they do . Is there are rehabber in your area? Have you called them? How often are your feeding.? I ask cause if you have the age right.. that is a bit of lethargy. Almost sounds like dehydration esp since you dont' suspect a fall

she goes sound asleep....she twitches and also sometimes seems to make a crying sounds when sleeping and seems to be dreaming. It stops when I pet her. Is this normal? Thank you again.
    normal. I don't know if they dream but I sure think they do.. I hear all kinds of noises from them when they sleep.

Thank you for caring so much for this little one. Sounds like you have done your homework and you have done a good job with her doubling her weight.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

Mybabypeanut Guest

Name:  20150420_145049.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.04 MB
    *****UPDATE too today. At 4PM she decided to get up. She is wide eyed and bushy tailed and scampering everywhere in my squirrel proofed area. She has all her toys, maple and oak limb and sapling and her KayTee block and bedding down. She had the longest day awake yesterday so I am hoping she was just tired. She slept so long and so deeply that it scared me. Although, if I scampered that much for that long I would have slept all night and day too . O am breathing again. I panic easily I think and I apologize for that. Thank u all 4 your quick help and assistance. If I can do anything better please let me know. I tried to attach photo. I hope it worked.

Below answers the questions I got till 3 PM. She is my blessing from God...thank you for helping me and my little angel. I lost a adopted human baby last year (mother changed her mind 4 hours b4 finalized) so she is filling a large empty hole in my heart. I hope you can read in my words how hard I have worked to do everything right by her. I also had her checked by my vet. She just listened to her heart, looked at teeth and concluded she was healthy. I am dedicated to her and whatever she needs I will find, get, buy....whatever it takes for her to be happy and healthy. If you can recommend a rehab course I am also interested in achieving that goal now. Not that I am wanting to find more babies...only to be the best for her and answer other mommies questions at some point if Im needed. Bless each of you.

I do have powdered esbilac that had DH (who is also in love with Peanut) go and get yesterday. She wouldn't drink it yesterday so this AM feeding I did 1/2 goat milk esbilac and 1/2 esbilac and she drank it right up. I do have the "miracle nipples" and I clean her syringe/nipple after every use. I also make her formula daily and I don't hold any over to the next day.
    I'm trying to upload a photo from my phone. I'm not real savey with pics to comp. but I am trying. I can text pics just never sent to my own comp.
    Yes, she will let me hold, pet, scratch, rub her ears, her belly, under her arms and loves to snuggle. I fell asleep with her in the baby carrier one night and she was on the pillow next to my head when I woke...sound asleep. I don't do that normally I just had a long day and I always snuggle her to sleep in the baby carrier that has a felt fabric for a jacket and felt pajama bottoms in it. I wash her bedding every 3 to 4 days in homemade detergent that has no perfume added.
    Yes, I did try to reach a rehabber. They won't return my calls. They have hours from 11 to 4 / M-F and I have called during "open" hours and closed hours they never will answer during any hours at all. Its the local zoo.
    I work from home so I am always here and she is always close enough to me that I can hear her stirring or getting up, ect. She sleeps in her sleeping quarters next to my bed for the same reason. I cant imagine how they "rehab" during those hours when I'm within "paw" distance 24/7 and jump everytime I here anything. Yes, I am crazy about her and completly attached. I want the very best for her. I have a 4 foot by 3 foot enclosure when she is ready. I have alot of maple and oak trees to contribute. I have large screened in porch also. The only area of the house she can reach is the den, DR and LR. I close all else off to her. Her quiet time/play is in the BR with me and DH on the bed. No running free anywhere else. I want her to feel free but safe from elements, ect.
    The veggies I provided were parsley, broccolli, celery heart and leaves, rodent block, for treat a hazelnut, she stoled a cashew off me and was nuts for it but no more of those, watermelon, bell pepper, bibb lettuce. She never had much interest in any of it and mostly chewed and let it fall to the floor. She did eat a little bit of each if I held it for her. But, I was told by Henrys to take the solid food away until she felt better. Is this correct? I gave solid food to her in her sleeping area along with KayTee. BTW...she trys to hold onto food but it easily falls from her paws. I assume that she is learning to hang onto the food in her paws and improves over time.
    I feed her 3 times a day each time 20 ML's and she gobbles it up. Yesterday she only wanted it twice though. She was so busy exploring. I do offer it more times in the day but she chooses to eat 3 times and I give her the amount she wants but its always 20 ML's. She weighs 11 oz or 312 grams. Henrys said to feed her 7% of her weight.
    Since she has been in my care no falls or injuries have ever happened. When she came to me she had no visible injuries but was very hungry. I got her warm and fed and she went straight to sleep that first day. I had no idea babies would get in your lap and it scared me that 1st day. I was ignorant about rabies and thought they could have it but quickly learned they don't usually carry.
    I didnt order the Kit from Henrys. I did order the calcium, 20/50 formula and the picky eater blocks. I provide her the Kaytee blocks now and deer antler and maple sapling to chew on.
    So my confusion is the sleepiness today and sleepiness in general. Is it normal for 7-8 week old to sleep a lot/mostly? Yesterday was the first time she ever stayed up for 10 hours and played the entire time. And, the elemental calcium powder....what amount do I give her?
    I think I answered all the questions. Thank you all for your help. I want to do the best by her that I humanly can. Thank You.

I dunno how long you have had her.. BUT SHE IS HUGE and she looks great. She looks older to me though.. but that may just be the picture. From her weight in grams.. (312 g?) She is really big. It worries me that food falls from her paws.

You certainly do sound like you have a real knack for this... and have done a wonderful job with her. Maybe YOU can become a rehabber

BTW.. I am sorry to hear about your adoption falling through.

PS.. I alerted some of the more experienced to pop in here.. They should be of more help than I.
    Stephanie Carlson

Have you seen the healthy diet chart? Only thing I noticed in your post was the bell peppers; bell peppers (red, green and yellow) are on the avoid list:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

I am not the most experienced... by a VERY LONG shot... but the 10 hours of continuous play sounds more alarming than the sleeping a lot, unless by sleeping a lot that also means she is lethargic when she is awake? Did she do this non-stop playing all by herself or was she "encouraged" to play? They usually have a more limited play / rest schedule... 10 hours straight is not something I have ever seen.

These little ones can be really worn out and stressed by well meaning folks that might "love them too much" and especially when children may be allowed to play with them a long time. Like a toddler, they play all out... then sleep all out.. then maybe eat all out so they are ready to play all out, just to sleep all out... and so the cycle goes!

Are you planning to release her?

At the age you think she is, it would be normal for her to eat, play a little and then fall asleep, and then wake up a bit later and play a bit until next feeding time. One of the things that shocked me the most about squirrels was how LAZY they can be, especially when their every want and demand is being met by an eager human slave!

Do not worry too much about the powdered Goats Milk Esbilac - it is fine to use and mixing two together to make a 50/50 blend is fine. The regular puppy esbilac is quite a bit less $$ than the Goat's Milk, BTW. She has done really well on what you have given her so far.

I believe you said you had ordered the Henry's food? I hope I saw that. It is vastly superior and diet is really important. When you get them, make sure she always has a piece in there to experiment with. You can continue also giving her the other blocks - some squirrels like the variety - but she should be consuming 2 of the Henry's a day once she has weaned herself.

If she has been on formula all along you don't need to supplement with calcium, and if she eats her two Henry's blocks a day she will be getting all she needs from them.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    At the age you think she is, it would be normal for her to eat, play a little and then fall asleep, and then wake up a bit later and play a bit until next feeding time. One of the things that shocked me the most about squirrels was how LAZY they can be, especially when their every want and demand is being met by an eager human slave!

Do not worry too much about the powdered Goats Milk Esbilac - it is fine to use and mixing two together to make a 50/50 blend is fine. The regular puppy esbilac is quite a bit less $$ than the Goat's Milk, BTW. She has done really well on what you have given her so far.

I believe you said you had ordered the Henry's food? I hope I saw that. It is vastly superior and diet is really important. When you get them, make sure she always has a piece in there to experiment with. You can continue also giving her the other blocks - some squirrels like the variety - but she should be consuming 2 of the Henry's a day once she has weaned herself.

If she has been on formula all along you don't need to supplement with calcium, and if she eats her two Henry's blocks a day she will be getting all she needs from them.

Critter mom.. Did you see the photo? It's a thumbnail for the new format .. Why does she look so much older to me...? At first I mistook it for her avatar..( old lady brain)
    Stephanie Carlson

Mybabypeanut Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Have you seen the healthy diet chart? Only thing I noticed in your post was the bell peppers; bell peppers (red, green and yellow) are on the avoid list:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

I am not the most experienced... by a VERY LONG shot... but the 10 hours of continuous play sounds more alarming than the sleeping a lot, unless by sleeping a lot that also means she is lethargic when she is awake? Did she do this non-stop playing all by herself or was she "encouraged" to play? They usually have a more limited play / rest schedule... 10 hours straight is not something I have ever seen.

These little ones can be really worn out and stressed by well meaning folks that might "love them too much" and especially when children may be allowed to play with them a long time. Like a toddler, they play all out... then sleep all out.. then maybe eat all out so they are ready to play all out, just to sleep all out... and so the cycle goes!

Are you planning to release her?
    She has never played that long before. I may be off a little bit since I didn't look close to the hour I got up and fed her. We have no children. I kept trying to get her to take a nap by putting her in her sleeping area but she would have no part of it. She would get right back out. Finally at 8pm I put her in sleeping tote put a screen over, turned all the lights out and TV off and she went to sleep. Maybe the TV kept her awake? Today she didn't get up till around 4 pm and played until about 9 and then went to bed. I too feel that she is too young to play that much. But she was sleeping all the time and that concerned me too. That and the calcium concern brought me here.
    Releasing? Right now she cannot feed herself. She cannot grasp and hold onto food. It falls out of her paws. She has no interest in climbing either. I have a 5 level (called a 2 story) ferret enclosure and she just wants to stay on the bottom level. When she found me and came running to me in the yard she was under shrubs on the ground. I hold her food for her now and she will take it from me, drop it then I pick it up and that continues until she is done. Her formula is from syringe with miracle nipple and she does grasp it in both paws. Today she has only been interested in her formula once and fed 20 ML then. I will try to feed her in a little while again. She seems to be weaning herself but she want nuts more then veggies. So I have cut out the nuts until she eats her veggies. 90% of her food is still formula. I will do what ever is best for her.
    thank you for your help.

She looks to be in beautiful condition

I did notice you said she can't hold food well and isn't climbing. .. she looks old enough that I find that to be a possible clue that something might be going on.

Hopefully someone might know more about this?

Releasing? Right now she cannot feed herself. She cannot grasp and hold onto food. It falls out of her paws. She has no interest in climbing either. I have a 5 level (called a 2 story) ferret enclosure and she just wants to stay on the bottom level. When she found me and came running to me in the yard she was under shrubs on the ground. I hold her food for her now and she will take it from me, drop it then I pick it up and that continues until she is done.
    I did not mean to suggest to release now, I meant "someday" and I missed that important info regarding her being unable to hold onto food to feed herself. Any chance you can post a video of her eating like that, it would be very telling.

How long ago did you find her? She looks large in her picture for 8 weeks old. Can you post a picture of her next to something like a soda can for reference?

It is concerning that she is not climbing etc.

Kristi S Guest

I agree, with a tail that big and fluffy, and with her size, she must be a bit older than 7-8 weeks. And there's definitely something awry if she can't hold her food. What a shame! She's gorgeous. And she came right up to you? If she isn't able to hold her food, much less climb, she's not releasable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi S View Post
    If she isn't able to hold her food, much less climb, she's not releasable.
    Maybe we can say if she does not develop the ability to hold her food and climb with the agility needed for a squirrel to survive in the wild she will not be releasable?

Kristi S Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Maybe we can say if she does not develop the ability to hold her food and climb with the agility needed for a squirrel to survive in the wild she will not be releasable?
    Oh, yeah, that's what I meant!

Kristi S Guest

Anyone know why bell peppers are on the Avoid list?

I would think she should be eating veggies. I don't quite understand why they said take them away.

Mybabypeanut, It's normal for them to not chow down on them right away, as they get used to the new taste. In fact, it's best if they don't change their diet too quickly.

I think it's because the calcium: phosphorous ratio isn't ideal. ..

Kristi S Guest

There are others that have far worse ratios that are in the category 3, and even category 1 has several that have more phosphorus than calcium. I don't really understand it. Mushrooms are in category 1, and they aren't very nutritious unless they've sat in the sun for a little while. It takes more energy for a squirrel to digest one than its gets out of it.

The only thing I can think of is that it's in the nightshade family, but that shouldn't really matter unless it's about something peculiar to squirrels.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast